What Bourbon Are you Drinking Summer 2023?

mbroo5880i

21 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Got a little heavy handed with the last pour of the night 😎😎

Lucy doesn't seem to mind.😅

20230921_224205.jpg

Wow, that bottle must be something!  It is getting the "Three Lucy Stare Down!" 😀

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

I missed my Preciouses. And that post made me think of the Belle Meade Reserve, like Pavlov's bell. And soooooo......

BMR.jpg

I am quite confused by the glass. What is The Ohio State University?  Is that one of those scam on-line colleges where if you buy a glass you receive complementary degree?  😜

• I like it 4

52 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am quite confused by the glass.

I expect no less from Hoosiers. Most especially the, umm, "frugal" ones.

53 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Is that one of those scam on-line colleges where if you buy a glass you receive complementary degree?

The scam is in person, usually in the form of "professors", or worse yet "admin".

You have a point on the degree....but those require that many, many glasses be emptied!

😉 back atcha!

• I like it 1

Tonight, VOB "100" neat.  Watching some mystery on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.  I find them fun to watch if I don't pay close attention - makes it harder to figure out who dunn it.

BY the way, ever notice how, even on Midsomer Murders, the murderer gets caught ONLY because he/she commits a SECOND murder to cover up the first?  MORAL - Kill once and walk away IF you are in a TV murder mystery.

• I like it 5

I'll finish off this Stedman's Select (Barton aged 36 months).  My solution was break it out to watch western movies on the Grit channel.  I told myself, in the old days they were probably drinking some stuff not aged very long.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Wow, that bottle must be something!  It is getting the "Three Lucy Stare Down!" 😀

...and Ethel giving it the stinkeye!

• I like it 1

On 9/22/2023 at 6:45 PM, Anwalt said:

This one isn't doing much for me. I presently (my palate is still super fickle and clearly embryonic, so tense matters a lot) prefer the Saffell over this bottle for nearly the same price. Granted, the older one is a lower proof. But, while I've learned to enjoy higher proofs, I'm no proof hound. For example, with SFTB I think I prefer lower to higher. Dunno, just random, super general thoughts, YMMV - and indeed, yours does! I certainly appreciate the comment & feedback. I'll keep at it, I have noticed that some bottles that I did not initially like I later like, sometimes quite a lot. That fickle & embryonic palate thing, again.

The Old WT AN 101 proofs are supposed to be better than this lower-proof version. Will have to try one at Neat or some similar place before shelling out the federal reserve notes.

I'm tempted to just stick my neck out and say today's WT 101 is better than the older stuff, at least based on the dusties I've had, but it's been a couple of years since I've had one of those around.   I do, however, still have two of the old (early 90s?) Russell's Reserve 10s, back when it was still Jimmy' proof.    I really should open one and line it up blind  against my open WTKS.   That RR10 101 is legendary for a reason,  but that WTKS kicks ass.

• I like it 3

On 9/22/2023 at 5:45 PM, Anwalt said:

This one isn't doing much for me. I presently (my palate is still super fickle and clearly embryonic, so tense matters a lot) prefer the Saffell over this bottle for nearly the same price. Granted, the older one is a lower proof. But, while I've learned to enjoy higher proofs, I'm no proof hound. For example, with SFTB I think I prefer lower to higher. Dunno, just random, super general thoughts, YMMV - and indeed, yours does! I certainly appreciate the comment & feedback. I'll keep at it, I have noticed that some bottles that I did not initially like I later like, sometimes quite a lot. That fickle & embryonic palate thing, again.

The Old WT AN 101 proofs are supposed to be better than this lower-proof version. Will have to try one at Neat or some similar place before shelling out the federal reserve notes.

Just some reality checks to point out.

WB Saffell is a current product (basically current, as you can still see it on shelves in several states).  So comparing the value proposition of a currently available product to a long-gone dinosaur product like dusty Turkey (produced in cypress wood tanks and in a still that no longer exists) is not really comparing apples to apples.  Clearly, the value of dusty Turkey (or any other vintage whiskey) lies in the historical experience, not the taste compared to currently available products on shelves across the country on any liquor store shelf.

Having said that, I personally find that the current modern WT101 and Rare Breed can stand up to WT products made in the past.  And I can purchase WT101 today for 22 bucks in my market (<$50 for Rare Breed) which is incredible when you think about it in today's crazy bourbon retail market.

Dusty Turkey isn't necessarily better, just different.  The "different" historical experience is what we pay extra for.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

55 minutes ago, Clueby said:

This one is going down fast. Probably won't make the trip back to STL. 🤷‍♂️

20230923_212407.jpg

Thank goodness.

I don’t want you trying to share it with me next weekend.

😝

• I like it 1

Old Forester 1920 to close out this college football Saturday night.  Notre Dame almost got it done against Ohio State, but not quite.

USC is struggling against Arizona State.  Not a surprise for some of us.

I do have to say, OF1920 is just an incredible available bourbon that doesn't get enough praise.  For me, it's right there with RRSiB and WTRB for the best affordable and available high proof bourbons.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I'm tempted to just stick my neck out and say today's WT 101 is better than the older stuff, at least based on the dusties I've had, but it's been a couple of years since I've had one of those around.   I do, however, still have two of the old (early 90s?) Russell's Reserve 10s, back when it was still Jimmy' proof.    I really should open one and line it up blind  against my open WTKS.   That RR10 101 is legendary for a reason,  but that WTKS kicks ass.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

WB Saffell is a current product (basically current, as you can still see it on shelves in several states).  So comparing the value proposition of a currently available product to a long-gone dinosaur product like dusty Turkey (produced in cypress wood tanks and in a still that no longer exists) is not really comparing apples to apples.  Clearly, the value of dusty Turkey (or any other vintage whiskey) lies in the historical experience, not the taste compared to currently available products on shelves across the country on any liquor store shelf.

Having said that, I personally find that the current modern WT101 and Rare Breed can stand up to WT products made in the past.  And I can purchase WT101 today for 22 bucks in my market (<$50 for Rare Breed) which is incredible when you think about it in today's crazy bourbon retail market.

Dusty Turkey isn't necessarily better, just different.  The "different" historical experience is what we pay extra for.

I meant to reply to Jazzhead's post as well as Anwalt's.

Tagging Jazzhead here.

Although most of the true "dusty" Turkey I've tasted from their vintage period is superior to current product, I have to to say that the current Wild Turkey and Russell's Reserve product is the best tasting stuff I've had from them in at least a decade.  To my taste buds, the WT bourbon from the past five years is better than anything they've produced in the past 10 to 15 years.  The one exception might be Rare Breed.  I'm a huge fan of the WT-03RB 108.2 batch.  I can't decide which is better, the 108.2 or the current 116.8 ... both have their strengths.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

Thank goodness.

I don’t want you trying to share it with me next weekend.

😝

I'll be sure to save some!!!🤣

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

Good perspective, appreciated. 

With that said, I hear a lot of "it used to be way better". The Dant (10y, bottled mid 60's) that someone brought to the gathering blew me away and reinforced the impression of "they don't make it like they used to". The WT (and an OGD I had yesterday), less so. But that is pretty close to all of my dusty experience. I will keep your perspective in mind as a valid additional criterion as I try more older bottles.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

The Dant (10y, bottled mid 60's) that someone brought to the gathering blew me away 

My grandfather drank JW Dant. He passed in 1977, probably from complications of drinking? He could drink more whiskey than anyone I've known before or after. An E TN gentleman that was a "functional alcoholic" who never slurred, stumbled, and drove perfectly after drinking heavily. Each day he came home from work, showered and ate, then proceeded to drink a 1/5 from a juice glass chased with water over the next 3hrs+. He would shoot each drink and never sipped it for enjoyment. On the weekend days he'd drink the 1/5 followed by a pint while enjoying some beer with the guys. Looking back I can't imagine how one person could down so much so I can't expect anyone else believe this.

You guys would know the distiller at the time- late 50s through late 70s but it was not HH of today (think UD?). I thought when I grew up I'd shoot that Dant like granddad, but I'll never be able to drink "his drink". AND I don't know why Dant, maybe price or availability had more to do with it?

I keep a plastic 1/2gal of the HH under the bar and will throw one down for him from time to time. 

• I like it 5

56 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

[SNIP}

You guys would know the distiller at the time- late 50s through late 70s but it was not HH of today (think UD?). I thought when I grew up I'd shoot that Dant like granddad, but I'll never be able to drink "his drink". AND I don't know why Dant, maybe price or availability had more to do with it?

I keep a plastic 1/2gal of the HH under the bar and will throw one down for him from time to time. 

My Dad was an Old Crow with TAB guy back  in the 1960s and bought OC by the handle case.  After he died, a couple of handles remained in the old homestead.  The OC of today is nothing like what he drank.  My youngest brother shared the last handle with me circa 1980.  I'm pretty sure it was one of the later Nat'l Distiller bottles before the OC "setback" change and had been purchased in the late 1960s.  Beam bought OC from ND in 1987.  OC now is under aged JBW.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 2

14 hours ago, Kepler said:

Agree 100%.    I love the old stuff for what is,  an eavesdrop into history.    It's ephemeral, so it must be rationed,  but I'd love to see how what WT considered its best 25- 30 years ago stacks up against what they think is  their best at 101 proof today.   

Too bad there's no exact comp -  back then they put their best 101 in small batches; today it's single barrels.  

• I like it 2

Yesterday. Before the OSU game. I almost never watch any sports, but the bourbon bros & the kids Made Me Do It. What a cliffhanger of a game! Decided in the last second.

I wept. 

OK, not really.

The OGD was "meh". Granted, it was not meant to be premium or spectacular. It just seemed flat and hot.

Both 4R bottles were magnificent. Really the best 2 4R I've ever had. I've posted those two before, I'll be sad when they run out. Amazing flavor, lighter proof.

The Stagg was also spectacular. Great flavor and some of the best mouthfeel ever. It drank well below its proof. I want more.

OSU Beats Notre Dame.jpg

• I like it 2

So I took this guy's little cousin (SW SmB SB) to Chile to share. It was surprisingly good. The bottle did not last very long.

I was never "wowed" by the UCUF. But then again...that happens a lot. Then I try the bottle months later and end up liking or even loving it. So we'll see.

I shall be in Vegas in November...I wonder if the distillery isn't worth a visit?

SWUCUF.jpg

• I like it 1