What Bourbon Are You Drinking - Winter 2023?

Skinsfan1311

just got the kids in bed and time to relax, well sort of. Gotta load the tree with presents now.

20231224_194609.jpg

Edited by Double C's
  • I like it 10

My wife gave me an early Christmas present today. I couldn’t wait to open it, so I opened it up. Absolutely delicious. KC18

IMG_6371.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 14

Wrapping up a fantastic Christmas Day. Pulled an OWA from the back of the cabinet and now relaxing.

IMG_5521.jpeg

• I like it 8

2 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

Edited by smokinjoe

Back to just the wife and I.  Sitting down to a quiet evening with some RR SP.

The eldest sone is back in Atlanta.  He and I went through about half a bottle of WT Generations.  Given tempest surrounding it, I would have to say it is an exceptional bourbon.  The nose was phenomenal, orange zest, ginger, pepper, crème brûlée and wonderful smokey char that reminded me of a smoldering campfire.

The mouthfeel was oily and coating.  The flavors are typical old WT with toffee, vanilla,  baking spices and very nice hug that traveled all the way down. The nose traveled directly to the palate.

i would love to see how it opened up over time but he asked if he could take it with him and i conceded.  Also a bottle of Barrel Seagrass and a Blanton’s were in the car.

I will need to be a little more conservative with the other bottle but he has a much better palate than I did at that age.

On to New Years.

IMG_1204.jpeg

• I like it 9

My brother gifted me a bottle of the standard Woodinville 90 proof Bourbon.  It's been available in Indiana a while by now.  I've been meaning to try it, but haven't until now, so here goes.

The highest compliment I can give a craft distiller - it tastes like something from a legacy distiller.  This stuff, I'd place the profile somewhere between WT 101 and EC.  It seems like a higher rye mash bill.  I'm getting some leather (like I walked into a tack room) and oak.  On the dry side, but not too much so.  Some elements also remind me of OGD.

• I like it 4

RR SP CNB again tonight.  This is a great store pick that I may need to get more of.  I think I have a case or two but it seriously rivals WT SR CNF and WT Generations for a fraction of the price.  Oh yea, I may be nibbling a few of my wife’s Christmas treats before they are boxed and shipped to my youngest in Chicago.

• I like it 5

Just starting out. Picked this up today based on a recommendation as a good starter and it didn't disappoint. Although I cant identify what i was tasting I could definitely taste different notes and taste some changes in flavor on the finish. It was delicious.  I only had a small amount tonight. I will spend much more time with it this weekend.

IMG_2441.jpeg

• I like it 9

I revisited the Woodinville.  After more consideration, I'd call it, to my taste buds, similar to how I'd imagine OGD 114 proofed down to 90 proof.  I get some cedar cigar box and leather.  I like OGD, so it's a hit.

On 12/24/2023 at 9:57 PM, Double C's said:

just got the kids in bed and time to relax, well sort of. Gotta load the tree with presents now.

20231224_194609.jpg

Got to say, the more I see this picture, the more I love it. You should send it to BT to use!!!

• I like it 3

Last night was the second pour from the recently acquired James E Pepper Bib. I felt the initial pour had a really nice cream soda note and that was confirmed with last nights pour. I haven't had any of their sourced whiskey as I waited until the KY DSP5 stuff matured. I now have this BiB and a SBBP Rye I got at the distillery last April. JEP has definitely  got a fan in me as I like the house style they are putting out. There will no doubt be future purchases as they release more and the ages creep up in the coming years.

• I like it 1

On 12/24/2023 at 10:46 PM, LCWoody said:

My wife gave me an early Christmas present today. I couldn’t wait to open it, so I opened it up. Absolutely delicious. KC18

IMG_6371.jpeg

Nice.  My brother picked one of those up for me that I just cracked open.  I agree it's really good.  When you consider the regular KC9, the 9 yr single barrel & single barrel store picks, the 12 year, and this 18, Knob Creek is one of my very favorite bourbon lines.

• I like it 3

18 hours ago, BobNY said:

Just starting out. Picked this up today based on a recommendation as a good starter and it didn't disappoint. Although I cant identify what i was tasting I could definitely taste different notes and taste some changes in flavor on the finish. It was delicious.  I only had a small amount tonight. I will spend much more time with it this weekend.

IMG_2441.jpeg

Great start!  👍

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Got to say, the more I see this picture, the more I love it. You should send it to BT to use!!!

Unfortunately, the ex-P&G Douchelords who run the place now will require you to enter a lottery to pay for the opportunity for them to even consider such a submission for them to use…😩😩

Sipping on some Bookers, Bardstown Batch, this evening.  We’ve even started breaking down some of the Christmas decor (outside) prior to some rainy weather that may be here until New Years.