What Bourbon Are You Drinking - Winter 2023?

Skinsfan1311

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

It's a lot easier to get than that 1792 12 year😄

Absolutely correct! Only reason I did it was because the 1792 was open and near the end.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

FWIW, ER10 doesn't seem to be quite as hard to get as it was just a couple of years ago.  At least in my neck of the woods anyway.

Hopefully this is a sign that this will be the case here soon.

1 hour ago, BobNY said:

I Joined here a couple of weeks ago as a beginner and received some excellent advice. I have been trying different bottles that were recommended to me and have been having lots of fun trying to to develop my pallet and ability to pick out the different smells and flavors. It has been difficult to identify much of of anything in what I have been drinking. I like what I am drinking, but just have trouble knowing what and why.

This week at work was a nightmare. Lots of stress. I decided tonight regardless of weather I am ready for it or not I am going to open one of the nicer bottles I have bought and see what happens.  I was greeted by an immediate aroma explosion. I could smell and taste so many different things. I finally could pull out vanilla, toffee, etc. I looked at the tasting notes after and everything was there with exception of slight orange peel (that one escaped me) .  I feel I had a breakthrough. I am guessing the quality of the bottle had a a lot to do with it, but I do feel that this bottle will help me with others moving forward. This was such great experience. One I hope to replicate very often. 

IMG_2515.jpeg

Yessir! This is a great one. Welcome to the site and never hesitate to ask questions. Lots of helpful folks here.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

I hear you.  I used to not like it too much, but the last couple of bottles I've had I found I liked it more than I remembered.  But I still prefer BT over ER10 usually.

Yep, funny as it may sound, I prefer BT over ER10 too.

If you consider, they're both basically the same thing, except the ER10 spends about four more years in the barrel.

It's one of the few examples, some extra age not an improvement.

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, BobNY said:

I Joined here a couple of weeks ago as a beginner and received some excellent advice. I have been trying different bottles that were recommended to me and have been having lots of fun trying to to develop my pallet and ability to pick out the different smells and flavors. It has been difficult to identify much of of anything in what I have been drinking. I like what I am drinking, but just have trouble knowing what and why.

This week at work was a nightmare. Lots of stress. I decided tonight regardless of weather I am ready for it or not I am going to open one of the nicer bottles I have bought and see what happens.  I was greeted by an immediate aroma explosion. I could smell and taste so many different things. I finally could pull out vanilla, toffee, etc. I looked at the tasting notes after and everything was there with exception of slight orange peel (that one escaped me) .  I feel I had a breakthrough. I am guessing the quality of the bottle had a a lot to do with it, but I do feel that this bottle will help me with others moving forward. This was such great experience. One I hope to replicate very often. 

IMG_2515.jpeg

Sounds great.  Enjoy! (nice pic btw)

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

If you consider, they're both basically the same thing, except the ER10 spends about four more years in the barrel.

Yep I agree.  With some exceptions when ever so often I ordered a regular BT on a flight and it tasted a bit young.  But the last time that happened was probably 4 years ago and the last couple of times I had it, it wasn't a problem. Maybe it was just a temporary batch thing.

MM and MM 101 last night. 

IMG_4825.gif.d8dc04202cdb73ab4e33919e4628d6fb.gif

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Yep I agree.  With some exceptions when ever so often I ordered a regular BT on a flight and it tasted a bit young.  But the last time that happened was probably 4 years ago and the last couple of times I had it, it wasn't a problem. Maybe it was just a temporary batch thing.

I, too, prefer the basic BT to ER although the last two ERs I had (spread out over the second half of 2023) were better than I recalled they'd be - not as woody.  I went looking for the old press releases on BT's expansion as I couldn't remember their schedule.  According to its website, it began expanding its distilling and aging facilities in 2016 and by 2022 is going well with additional expansion and production coming on line by now (2024)  AGAIN, this is according to the BT website (go HERE for the BT press releases - https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/news).  The basic BT back then and into 2018 did, to me, too, taste a little young WHEN I could find it.   Maybe its production over the last seven to eight years has finally ramped up to allow BT aging up to six years with a consquent incrase in product shipped.  That does not explain the slight increase in ER availability although THAT might be a function of the MUCH higher MSRP it now carries - kind of like how Bookers got dropped by me when its price almost doubled but its age dropped by a third.

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

MM and MM 101 last night. 

IMG_4825.gif.d8dc04202cdb73ab4e33919e4628d6fb.gif

DANG!  Tonight was going to be a WT MK (whichever expression on the shelf had the most in the bottle).  That short video has me reaching for a 1/3 full MM CS that got lost amongst some gin bottles and was discovered yesterday while putting Xmas decorations back on upper shelves.

• I like it 2

Some standard aMM in the glass to start the evening.  

• I like it 1

KC9 at a restaurant during dinner with the family.  1792 BIB at home while watching the Colts-Texans game.  Kinda of expensive for a BIB but a good whiskey nonetheless. 

• I like it 1

I was going to have a Dry January but then it snowed last night.

• I like it 8

MM is hitting all the notes tonight for me.  Time for a second pour.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

I was going to have a Dry January but then it snowed last night.

I was also thinking about doing a Dry January, and then bourbon and scotch bottles happened 🤷‍♂️.

Oh well, maybe I will regroup and go for a Dry February instead, when my resistance will be stronger.

• I like it 1

On 1/6/2024 at 2:19 PM, Kepler said:

Sounds great.  Enjoy! (nice pic btw)

Thanks.  Since I loved this so much I went out and picked up s couple of more Rye's to try.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Kepler said:

I was also thinking about doing a Dry January, and then bourbon and scotch bottles happened 🤷‍♂️.

Oh well, maybe I will regroup and go for a Dry February instead, when my resistance will be stronger.

Just so you know, this is a leap year.  February will be longer than normal.  Just sayin.  I am just focused on a damp January.  I actually like the approach of a dry week once a month which ends up being 3 dry months per year.  

Enjoying a pour of KC9 while waiting to watch the new episode of Hometown and then the rest of the Bills-Dolphins game.

• I like it 2

On 1/6/2024 at 4:42 AM, PaulO said:

I think the BT and ER are both great pours and I enjoy both often. For my buds the ER holds up much better iced. These day's I'm drinking all my bourbon with ice but that wasn't the case for 20+ years. Ice has been more of a health requirement but it does alter the taste. 

• I like it 2

A glass of BT-SP this evening.

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, markandrex said:

A glass of BT-SP this evening.

I’ve kinda been on the same page as  @markandrex lately. Whiy screw with a good thing. 😉 With that being said , I opened a Binny’s ps BT tonight. This is my second and last bottle of this one. Wish I could have bought at least a couple more. It’s pretty darned good. 😋

• I like it 3

RRSB-SP tonight.  This is becoming a regular staple on the bar, fortunately, I have a strong bunker on this pick.

• I like it 1

Enjoyed a pour of KC9 celebrating the life of my uncle.  We attended the memorial and mass today.  He passed away at the age of 95 at the end of last year.  My aunt passed away early last year and he held out as long as his body and spirit would allow.  They had been married almost 70 years.  He retired at 62 and they spent the next 30 years playing golf and traveling.  Other than vision problems both enjoyed fairly good health until the last few years.  No sorrow or sadness only fond memories.

He was the last living member of his generation on either side of my family.  

I will have another pour while the memories are fresh in my mind.   

• I like it 8

Chattanooga 111 as I smoke salmon tonight. Late Merry Christmas to all you SB’ers!!

• I like it 1

Sorry for your loss.  I will go pour a KC-9 and join you in your celebration of his life.  Cheers.

• I like it 1