What rye are you drinking or purchased 2024

Mattk

47 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

What did that set you back, if you don't mind my asking?   

I paid $31.99.  Regular Ritt BIB is usually between $25 and $30 in my area.  

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

With the exception of the DO, I like pretty much everything from Sagamore.   

We keep meaning to check out the distillery but haven't gotten around to it which is inexcusable, because they're 20 minutes from the house :ph34r:

They actually deliver locally.    

Wow, yeah you need to fix that and go visit.  I'd definitely go see them if I were within driving distance.

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Wow, yeah you need to fix that and go visit.  I'd definitely go see them if I were within driving distance.

Agreed.

My buddies told me that it's a beautiful facility,  right on the Chesapeake Bay. They have a summer concert series, a nice bar and even slips for people who show up in boats. The bar is supposed to be really  nice too.

Yeah, it's almost inexcusable for us not to have visited yet...

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I paid $31.99.  Regular Ritt BIB is usually between $25 and $30 in my area.  

Thanks!

That's a buy for me at that price.

If I don't like it, I'll give it our youngest son.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks!

For what it's worth maple lawn had the best ritt sp I've had yet, but I believe it was like $40. So another  $10 then any other ritt I've purchased. Still very worth in IMO.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Mattk said:

For what it's worth maple lawn had the best ritt sp I've had yet, but I believe it was like $40. So another  $10 then any other ritt I've purchased. Still very worth in IMO.

A two-ounce pour for $10 at a bar makes a bottle at $40 a bargain.  If I were out with the family for a nice dinner, I would hop on a couple of double pours neat. Cheap Bastard is cheap but not stupid.  I wasn't sure at the time of purchase but sometimes I feel like Magellan and wanted to explore.  I hope to grab another bottle at $31.99 but I would go up to $32 if I see a bottle at another store.  Just kidding!  I would probably roll up to $40 depending on retailer.

I hit a nice pour of Hard Truth High Road Rye again tonight.  At 93 proof, it is a great rye.  It is a sweet mash rye which is a little different yet very good.  I need to hit up the retailer who sells it for half the price other retailers.  No, this retailer isn't underpricing it.  His price is close to MSRP.  The other retailers - more than one - seem to confuse it with the barrel strength version.

• I like it 1

Brief comparison of Sagamore 8 yr (batch 2A if it makes a difference, and online reviewers seem to prefer 2 over 1) and Redemption 10 Year barrel proof Rye (the newer short/squat bottle).

Short pours of each on a week night... I give the edge to the Sagamore 8 personally.  But I am a little sensitive to dill, and the Redemption 10 has more dill.   I can see many "died-in-the-wool" rye experts might prefer the increased spiciness of the Redemption 10 BP because it's more along the lines of a classic 95/5 MGP rye. 

Both are excellent and highly recommended. 

If price is a factor I'd definitely give the Sagamore 8 the advantage ($70 vs $95).  But it just so happens I got my Redemption bottles at a sale price so it's probably a wash or the Redemption even comes out ahead for value for me personally.  But if I'm a repeat buyer at MSRP I'm definitely grabbing the Sagamore 8.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

Picked up some Jack Daniels bonded rye yesterday for my birthday bottle. First pour was very favorable. 

• I like it 1

Funny @Keplershould mention the redemption 10 barrel proof rye. As I just stumbled across one today, brought it home and cracked it. I too prefer the sagamore 8 batch2 over batch 1. However I really love these redemptions, and will take them over the sagamore more often then not. 

20240123_182727.jpg

• I like it 4

I really like these "barely legal" OO10y CS. Might as well be a very high-rye bourbon. Delicious. Sweet and Spicy.

• I like it 3

Whistlepig 12 year that I received as a Christmas gift.  It is pretty good.  

• I like it 2

And my buying streak continues. I grabbed myself a few more ryes this week. The OE is already open with a couple pours down.

20240126_131327.jpg

Edited by Mattk
Wrong photo the first time.
  • I like it 7

2 hours ago, Mattk said:

And my buying streak continues. I grabbed myself a few more ryes this week. The OE is already open with a couple pours down.

20240126_131327.jpg

Nice variety!  Enjoy!

It is F-RYE-DAY.  Nice pour of RItt BIB SiB.  Now enjoying a nice pour of WP12.

• I like it 1

On 1/23/2024 at 5:41 PM, Mattk said:

Funny @Keplershould mention the redemption 10 barrel proof rye. As I just stumbled across one today, brought it home and cracked it. I too prefer the sagamore 8 batch2 over batch 1. However I really love these redemptions, and will take them over the sagamore more often then not. 

20240123_182727.jpg

Those are very very good 👍

• I like it 2

Last weekend's Sagamore pours led to a new purchase today.

Happy Fryeday 🥃

20240126_194728.thumb.jpg.d49107f8bdc84ccca90aa28bd3298189.jpg

• I like it 2

A warm pour for a cool rainy Saturday. 

IMG_4942.jpeg

• I like it 2

Three rye pour tonight.  Started with Hard Truth High Road.  A stellar 93 proof sweet mash rye. 

Followed by pour of WP12 to empty the bottle.  A solid pour but over priced for what it is.  However, it was a gift.  Free whiskey almost always tastes good.  The exception, Ten High from a soda dispenser.  It became instance potted plant food at the hotel where I was staying.  

Followed by a pour of Ritt BIB SiB.  I need to go back to the store to see if there are an bottles left.

I am watching figure skating tonight.  I done lost my man card a long time ago.  I might just need another very small pour of something.

• I like it 3

Some Redemption 10 barrel proof to kick off Fryeday.  Cheers!

• I like it 2

Setting up a new iPhone (15) when my old one (6) is completely dead.  I need a drink!  JDSBBP rye in the glass.

• I like it 3

Had to break into the Sagamore Spirit Cask Strength, seeing as @markandrexdeclared Fryeday.  I have pretty limited experience with rye, but this is different from the sweeter ryes I have tried so far.  Pretty strong stewed fruits on the nose, buttery mouth feel, short burst of sweet and then baking spices take over in a big way.  The actual rye flavor lingers at the end, like the dryness after eating rye crisps (Dad used to buy those and we'd smear cream cheese on them).  I think this would be a great rye to drink around a Fall campfire.

And it reminded me of Dad, so that's a big plus.

• I like it 4

I haven't had the basic Sazerac Rye for a long time.  Over the past several months, cases and cases of it have been showing up in stores (750ml and 1.75L bottles).  Anyway, a great sale opportunity and I caved.

Tasting it now, I'm getting some notes that remind me of spice cake.

• I like it 4

Tonight I've opened a old Forrester 100 rye. It was the right choice.

• I like it 3