What rye are you drinking or purchased 2024

Mattk

Enjoying Old Ezra 7. I liked it at the distillery, like it now. I'd be curious as to the % mix of the two ryes (barely legal + punch in the face) that went into it.

Nice balance of sweetness but rye taste, the latter really coming out towards the middle-to-end of the palate, pre-finish. Easy proof, easy drinker, lots of flavor. Worth the $60.

And as one would expect, a nibble on a shortbread cookie changes it all. Drinks like a heavy-rye bourbon then.

OE7 R.jpg

• I like it 3

Office bottle, not home yet. I like the other ryes more. This one...dunno. That's a change from 18 months ago, this was the first rye I ever tried. Recognizably Willett with that odd finish.

Willett 4yR.jpg

• I like it 1

On 2/4/2024 at 2:05 PM, Anwalt said:

Enjoying Old Ezra 7. I liked it at the distillery, like it now. I'd be curious as to the % mix of the two ryes (barely legal + punch in the face) that went into it.

Nice balance of sweetness but rye taste, the latter really coming out towards the middle-to-end of the palate, pre-finish. Easy proof, easy drinker, lots of flavor. Worth the $60.

And as one would expect, a nibble on a shortbread cookie changes it all. Drinks like a heavy-rye bourbon then.

OE7 R.jpg

A good one.  I wonder what it would be like unfiltered.  I can barely read your glass.  Does it say O Hey Hoe State University? 🤪

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Office bottle, not home yet. I like the other ryes more. This one...dunno. That's a change from 18 months ago, this was the first rye I ever tried. Recognizably Willett with that odd finish.

Willett 4yR.jpg

Office bottle?  Geez.  I sometimes stash a gift bottle at work and hope I can get it out of the building without my bosses seeing it.  I don't like sharing with my bosses.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I can barely read

I hear tell that's a thing in Indiana.....😁

9 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Office bottle?  Geez.  I sometimes stash a gift bottle at work and hope I can get it out of the building without my bosses seeing it.  I don't like sharing with my bosses.

Thankfully I'm the only one in the office. I did share with an employee. Then he left. Wrong bottle? Too soon? No more employees now, WAY less stress.

Got about 1/2 dozen bottles there, just in case I don't make it home by 4. Preparedness!

• I like it 5

Bought this one online at a nice discount online. Worth the full $100. Granted, I like Barrell blends and this is evidently their sub-label. Clearly some Dickel (and I like it) and some MGP 95/5 in here - and who knows what else. Drinks a bit more rye-ish than a barely legal, but has to be less than 70% rye. And again, that Dickel makes it just a little different.

I like.

Stellum Cypress.jpg

• I like it 1

On 2/6/2024 at 2:04 PM, Anwalt said:

Bought this one online at a nice discount online. Worth the full $100. Granted, I like Barrell blends and this is evidently their sub-label. Clearly some Dickel (and I like it) and some MGP 95/5 in here - and who knows what else. Drinks a bit more rye-ish than a barely legal, but has to be less than 70% rye. And again, that Dickel makes it just a little different.

I like.

Stellum Cypress.jpg

I’m slightly confused on this. Dickel rye is 95/5 MGP rye that Dickel runs through charcoal before bottling. If this bottling is lower overall blended rye % that would be coming from juice from somewhere else. Does the back label list any other states of distillation in addition to Indians? Just curious

Note that I love good MGP rye selections, so don’t take my inquiry as any negative connotation 

A bit of Pikesville tonight. We will see, where the evening goes from here. 

Happy FRyeDay

• I like it 3

All the recent discussion about Baby Saz convinced me to pick up a bottle on sale for $24.96.

The same store consistently has KC9 for $19.99.  

It's almost like 2013 all over again before things started disappearing.

• I like it 4

This week's rye purchases...

2 x Sagamore 7 year store pick.  I was able to sample it in the store and it was good so I picked up a couple.  And I thought the price was great at $49.99.

2 x Sagmore BiB 6 yr batch 3A

1 x baby Saz store pick

The toughest thing is deciding which one to open first.  I think I'm going with the 7yr barrel pick.  Coming right up for my first pour of the night.

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

All the recent discussion about Baby Saz convinced me to pick up a bottle on sale for $24.96.

The same store consistently has KC9 for $19.99.  

It's almost like 2013 all over again before things started disappearing.

Wow, those prices make me reminisce the good ‘ole days and a bit jealous 😉

Enjoy. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

This week's rye purchases...

2 x Sagamore 7 year store pick.  I was able to sample it in the store and it was good so I picked up a couple.  And I thought the price was great at $49.99.

2 x Sagmore BiB 6 yr batch 3A

1 x baby Saz store pick

The toughest thing is deciding which one to open first.  I think I'm going with the 7yr barrel pick.  Coming right up for my first pour of the night.

Really nice pickups there. Sagamore is doing a good job with variety, quality, price  and availability. I hope the Taters don’t read this🙄

Cheers 

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Really nice pickups there. Sagamore is doing a good job with variety, quality, price  and availability. I hope the Taters don’t read this🙄

Good point -- maybe I should delete my post before it's too late!  😆

18 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Me too ;-))

28 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

I hope the Taters don’t read this🙄

20 minutes ago, Kepler said:

2 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Me too ;-))

On second thought, I'm not too worried about the taters.  They're too busy trading crotch shots of Weller and all things BT 😆

• I like it 1

Just now, Kepler said:

On second thought, I'm not too worried about the taters.  They're too busy trading crotch shots of Weller and all things BT 😆

Hahahahaha

Yes, the “Weller Whore” is posting in the rye forum. SOS DD, we had to run to Sam’s Club to grab a few things, and of course I had to look. A couple of bourbons were on sale/clearance that I came close to buying, but I resisted temptation.  😬They had Baby Saz on sale, so I sent a text to @Galvin0791. He wanted me to grab one for him. As I got to the checkout, I saw that this was a Sam’s Club ps of Baby Saz. So, I went back and grabbed one for myself too. What can I say? 🤷🏼

IMG_3655.thumb.jpeg.c7378ce68962b16aa0eaec2c41f8940b.jpegIMG_3660.thumb.jpeg.5c7c23e098f158114bf018deda38123c.jpeg

• I like it 7

Today’s arrivals:

The HW Bourye is a 2018 and a product of the KC Chiefs win

The OO10 is from my local LS this morning.

The MW is from an online retailer as I have never heard of it being stocked locally.

image0.jpeg

• I like it 4

First pour was JD12 which was excellent.

But it is fryeday after all.  So now this

20240216_185802.thumb.jpg.a3ba18b244c55f3f3591764667b61104.jpg

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

20240216_185802.thumb.jpg.a3ba18b244c55f3f3591764667b61104.jpg

Heavy duty pour right there!

Cheers

Opening up FRyeday night with Sagamore BiB 5yr.  I like this whiskey, it is not as sweet as a typical Kentucky rye and doesn’t have have a MGP profile. A nice variety of rye. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

I had a friend over tonight for a bottle trade. I offered some pours while he was here. We had a lock stock and barrel 20, the stranger from proof and wood, and a big stick from rough rider. I had a pour of a 2015 double rye after. It's going to be an early night here.

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

At bourbon club we had Rye night. 

Very nice….

IMG_2655.gif.e45d714cf2dd8c17954c5a487450f8d6.gif

• I like it 2