What bourbon are you drinking now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, I started out with (off-topic) a bottle of Chimay Grand Reservé (blue label, 9%) - there's nothing like an ale that's been brewed for the glory of God. pope.gif

Now, back on topic, some Stagg '05 to bring me to cruising altitude and beyond, accompanied by some bluegrass music... drink.gif

Tonight we started with Buffalo Trace, then a shift to Bulleit, then some more Bulleit and now a nightcap of Bookers. A night of "B's", trying not to think about what the morrow will bring.

Right now I'm enjoying Michters. Sells for about 50 bucks in PA.....well worth it. So far, have found few to equal it.

Joe usflag.gif

Last night I poured a bit of Stagg for someone who swore she loved whiskey. Her informed opinion after a few sips: "Well, it just tastes like any other bourbon to me. Better than Jack Daniel's, though." ohgeez.gif

I suppose it's good to step outside our little world of connoisseurship to realize for some people, that's all this is -- whiskey. Some goes down easier than others, but it's all just whiskey. lol.gif

Yes, its like in the 80's when I was deeply into stereo equipment. Some people could hear the nuances between one $3000 pre-amp and another. Other people swore they couldn't hear any difference between a high-end system and their $400 K-Mart system. And I believe they really couldn't.

It is the one-in-twenty rule. 95% of people either don't care about something or they just want the most they can get for their money. 5% become deeply involved in determining all the nuances and, in the end, figuring out what is "best".

Some people couldn't care less if their car was a Corolla or a Lexus, as long as it gets them from point A to point B. Others spend $300,000 on a Ferarri and then thousands more on accessories to make it "better".

Tim

Old Grandad 114. Bought a bottle yesterday (Blanton's too). OGD 114 just may be my favorite in the price range.

Alas I am attempting to have a month off drinking confused.gif

So far last week was the worst week of the year frown.gif

Good on you, Cameron.

Think of it as clearing your palate! laugh.gif

Ed

Alright everyone, you heard the word, let's all pitch in and keep the industry afloat by drinking Cam's share of bourbon for the month. Drink one for the Cammer! drink.gif

Dane, you are a true gentleman grin.gif

To help drink my share, you'll need to consume anything Van Winkle (10, 12, 13 & 15), Blantons Original, Evan Williams 94 SB or Elijah Craig 12yo toast.gif

(I do my best to keep the Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill Distileries running bowdown.gif)

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I cracked open a new KNob Creek that I purchased for the upcomming BOTM thread. I hadn't partaken of any KC in quite some time. I'm getting a good dose of maple in this pour, a taste I consistantly find in Beam whiskies. I'm looking forward to reading the comparative tasting notes on this one.

BTW, while at Liquor Barn I noticed that many of the Knob Creek bottles have a copper, oval tag around the neck with the Liquor Barn logo etched into it. There was no additional information as to what was special about this bottling. I'm assuming it's a single barrel bottling, but that's just a guess. Anyone know anything about this? FWIW, I purchased a regular KC for our BOTM thread.

Currently sipping on Rare Breed. I believe this to be the best bourbon I have tried since my journey into bourbonia, which has only been about six months now. Of course I have yet to try some of the higher end bourbons you guys and gals talk about around here so my tune may change later. Actually, this is the highest price bourbon I have tried to date. I do have a bottle of Kentucky Spirit and Van Winkle Lot B but haven't opened them yet.

This seems to be a very well balanced bourbon with its fruity citrus notes up front followed by a little spiciness. At 108 proof this stuff is so surprisingly smooth. Almost too smooth in fact as I tend to drink it a little too fast at times. I almost believe this to be the true nectar of the gods bowdown.gif.

This all may change once I pop open that Kentucky Spirit though cool.gif.

Wade

Currently sipping on Rare Breed. I believe this to be the best bourbon I have tried since my journey into bourbonia, which has only been about six months now. Of course I have yet to try some of the higher end bourbons you guys and gals talk about around here so my tune may change later. Actually, this is the highest price bourbon I have tried to date. I do have a bottle of Kentucky Spirit and Van Winkle Lot B but haven't opened them yet.

If you like Rare Breed, then you should try Russel's Reserve. I personally prefer it to Rare Breed, but still, they share a lot of desirable traits. If you like Russel's Reserve, then I suggest you lay in a stock since the product will be changing to a lower proof sometime soon.

Regards,

-monte-

...Of course I have yet to try some of the higher end bourbons you guys and gals talk about around here so my tune may change later...

Rare Breed's a fine pour, never mind the price. Don't assume that there is a price/quality correlation, though often there is. The price is as much a function of demand/availability and age (the longer the whiskey's in the barrel, the less of it there is to pay the cost of that barrel when they bottle it).

Don't be afraid to like inexpensive bourbon laugh.gif. We all do, even while we enjoy the more exotic ones, too. You can easily find quality you can enjoy every night for under $15 a 750ml bottle.

It is important to remember that there are different batches of Rare Breed. I have had two bottles. One is the W-T-01-99 and it is a fine pour. The other I am not sure about. It was decanted from a wood barrel in the store. I tried but could not get a batch number. The second one is far superior to the first. The Russell's reserve falls in between. Three great whiskeys!

Ed

Oh, and I am drinking a pour of Old Forester. I initially didn't like this much. It has grown on me. It tastes pretty fine tonight! Earlier I had a wee bit of OGD 114. Big hit of licorice tonight. I don't think I noticed it before. It might be me rather than the bourbon, so don't take this too seriously if it makes no sense to you. I like the taste of OGD 114 a lot but it usually burns the heck out of my throat. Even with water and I usually drink everything neat. Now, should I have a pour of Rare Breed or stick to Old Forester? And if RB which one?

Ed

Tonight it will be my new bottle of OLD RIP VAN WINKLE 10 Year old 107 Proof. Its like candy in a bottle. toast.gif

If you like Rare Breed, then you should try Russel's Reserve. I personally prefer it to Rare Breed, but still, they share a lot of desirable traits. If you like Russel's Reserve, then I suggest you lay in a stock since the product will be changing to a lower proof sometime soon.

monte,

I have an open bottle of Russell's Reserve as well. In fact, I poured myself some after I finished the Rare Breed. I do like the Reserve but I prefer the taste of this particular bottle of Rare Breed. It seems to hit the spot more than the Reserve does. I had a couple of pours of the Reserve that seemed a little off. It could have been the mood I was in at the time because I have liked it the other times I drank it.

I do plan on picking up a few bottles of the 101 proof Reserve before it disappears from the store shelves. If I hear that Rare Breed is being discontinued then I'll be picking up my first case.

Wade

Having an afternoon pour of OGD114, myself.

Nice and sweet on a Saturday afternoon.

Don't be afraid to like inexpensive bourbon . We all do, even while we enjoy the more exotic ones, too. You can easily find quality you can enjoy every night for under $15 a 750ml bottle.

Trust me. I'm not afraid to like an inexpensive drink. Just recently purchased a 1.75L of Makers for $30 at Sam's Club. It's not my everyday drink but I like it well enough to keep around. I believe my everyday/night bourbon of choice right now is Jim Beam Black. This stuff goes down smooth and has a really nice flavor to it. I'm currently out and need to buy another bottle but I'm waiting to see if somebody puts the 1.75L on sale. In the meantime I'll be drinking a bottle of WT 80 that I picked up for under $12. Not my favorite of the Wild Turkey lineup but It'll do just fine.

Wade

I have an open bottle of Russell's Reserve as well. In fact, I poured myself some after I finished the Rare Breed. I do like the Reserve but I prefer the taste of this particular bottle of Rare Breed. It seems to hit the spot more than the Reserve does. I had a couple of pours of the Reserve that seemed a little off. It could have been the mood I was in at the time because I have liked it the other times I drank it.

I think there is some variation in Rare Breed and Russel's Reserve - I've had mixed opinions about both, but found some nice bottles of RR recently.

As long as you're drinking what you like!

-monte-

Don't be afraid to like inexpensive bourbon laugh.gif. We all do, even while we enjoy the more exotic ones, too. You can easily find quality you can enjoy every night for under $15 a 750ml bottle.

Tonight, once again, I am enjoying a nice glass of Elijah Craig 12 yr old. This has become my "go to" whiskey, even though it is surrounded in my collection by Bourbon of three and four times the price. This stuff is just that good.

Right now I'm sipping some Wathen's that I just picked up. It's remarkably floral with strong citrus notes, very unique. The nose is unbelievable and the taste smooth. A very nice addition to anyone's collection. I'd call this a sturdy, spring bourbon.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!