What bourbon are you drinking now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rare Breed. It has been a while since I had a pull from this bottle. Darn it, this is good stuff. I know others prefer the Russels Reserve or the Kentucky Spirit, but in my mind this is the best of the Wild Turkey products, and that makes this very very good.

Prichard's Double-Barreled Bourbon. I picked this bottle up in Kentucky a year or two ago, and I'm still nursing it. I thought it was just OK when I first tried it, but now it's growing on me. I don't know if it's just because they're both from Tennessee, but it reminds me a bit of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel.

Information/rumor/innuendo locally (Prichard's is about 50 miles from where I live) is that there were only two barrels of the Prichard's Double-Barreled bottled before a partnership agreement precluded additional distributions.

Though I've heard a future bottling is in the works (and that management particulars have been worked out), I know no details. So, if the above is true, the unopened Prichard's I have on the shelf is rare indeed.

Evan Williams 1783. This one is new to me. Grass, Hay, Mint, what a weird Bourbon. Oh well, my horizons just got expanded.

It may be wierd, but what a bargain for a decent 10 year old bourbon. This has been one of my favorite every day bourbons for a long time. drink.gif

Tonight I created a May-December (no, let’s hope a May-September one, and that I have a few good years left duel.gif) drinks lineup, following up a quiet, solo supper at a nearby Chinese buffet by combining my first adult potable pleasure – dessert wines – with my current whiskey musings.

I began by pouring Novello’s 1999 moscato, a syrupy California red muscat so much like a juicy tangerine you want to let it drip down your chin. Then, I decided to sample a Quinta do Vesuvio 1990 vintage port I’d allowed to languish in the refrigerator for a month or so and was pleasantly surprised to find it still remarkably fresh (always taste a sip before throwing wine out – you never know!). The Duoro property itself had languished until the Port-making Symington family purchased it in 1989, and this was their first declared bottling. My only regret was the absence of a handful of walnuts to subdue and complement the trademark vintage-Port, plummy, tongue-caressing sweetness. Thankfully, should I still leave this one too long unrequited, I have two more bottles.

Not wanting to swerve too suddenly toward dry oak, I measured exactly 2 cl of the light and apple-fruity original Michter’s (PA) Sour Mash into my Whiskey Keller glass (thank you, pepcycle bowdown.gif). The rye spice was the perfect foil to cleanse away the remaining sweetness of the wines. As a chaser, I poured maybe half as much of the current 2005 Stagg, in which I (though few others) sense significant mint at both entry and finish, conjoined by Stagg’s trademark rainbow of fruit-nut-leather-tobacco-brown-sugar filling.

At present, I am culminating the dessert theme with a half-ounce of green-bottle, Lawrenceburg Pappy 23yo – a rye bourbon from which Julian did a remarkable job of emulating the candied-apple nose and palate he obtains in his ORVW 15yo, for example, with wheated Stitzel-Weller bourbon (but, then, Julian is a remarkable bourbon blender!)toast.gif. This is literally a visual recreation of the historical ‘red likker’ – the magnificent sturdiness of all those years in oak are visible. Christmas, as Ed would say! And, yet, the wood is only the serving dish for the cinnamon apple-pie. I may have a second helping!

In last year or so, I started branching out from single malts, to single barrels. My bourbons are different each night for fun, with a Single malt thrown in for variety (NOT the same night) so in order of personal preference Pappy Van Winkle 15 yr (DFB-Darn Fine Bourbon), followed by their 12yr, Even Williams Vintage 1995 (great bargain),Elmer T. Lee, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, and Basil Heydan's. I also bought 1792, not high on my list. Yesterday, I found a bottle of Black Maple Hill 11yr. I'll crack that tonight, but if it is as some have posted from Pappy, I don't think I'll have any regrets. I like mine neat with water back, although I have tried the drops of water. To me, it doesn't make the same change as when I drop water in Scotch, although there is certainly a difference. I think it's more that my preference is neat, and I am not looking for the differences.

Not a bourbon, but tonite while bbqing steaks, I was sipping some WT Rye. Tonight it tasted of burnt caramel and tabacco, with a long, hot, spicy finish.

Later, I may open a bottle of Weller Antique.

toast.gif

that sounds good! had one in Manhattan in Chelsea last night, when I asked the waitress,a young gal, for a mint julep with Wild Turkey 101 she looked at me weird and said " I don't know if we have that", I'd checked on the way back from the washroom, so I told her "oh yeah, you have it"...she was real proud when she brought it back, said "here's your mint julep with Wild Turkey 101"! Hope she trys one sometime, great drink!

Finished off my bottle of Weller 12 YO while barbequing. frown.gif

Guess I'll hafta open that Weller Antique now. smile.gif

toast.gif

I cooked up some mighty nice blackened steak on the grill and sipped some Very Old Barton BIB along with. Ain't it grand being at the top of the food chain!! (I had salad for lunch... ;-) For dessert, I sipped some Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 y.o. lot B, another fine pour.

I'll probably finish the night with more Barton's and some Spring Stagg...

BTW, has anyone noticed a resemblance between the Spring '05 Stagg and the Eagle Rare 101 in the squatty bottle? When you compensate for proof, they taste pretty close to each other... at least in my limited perception, and somewhat different than the ERSB and ER17. Someday, I'm gonna do a tasting with ER101, Stagg '05, ERSB and ER17 and sort all this out. My recollections tell me that we have two families of bourbon here - the ERSB/ER17 family and the ER101 / Stagg '05 family. Anyone else agree or disagree??

Cheers,

-monte-

I finally dipped into the Black Maple Hill 11yr. Very, Very enjoyable.It now moves well up my list, just under the Van Winkle's. And to my palate at least, it is likened to the Pappy Van Winkle 12 yr.

At long last I am sipping some 2005 Spring Stagg! I am a happy man.

Ed

I do want to clarify just a little, The BMH 11yr. is a good drink, but after a revisit, it is different than Pappy 12yr, considerably. I have read many posts, and I realize I need to refine my palate to catch up with many of you. But I know what I like, and right now Pappy 15yr is incredible.

Have you had the Van Winkle 15 yr in the squat bottle? If so what do you think of them against each other?

I rotate: Blantons (straight); Makers (straight); Booker's (cut); Rare Breed (straight). My first GTS is on the way. Can't wait!

T.W. Samuels, 90 proof, from and old tax-stamped 1.75L bottle. Pretty middle of the road bourbon, though better than its current incarnation IIRC.

Well, tonight I'm having a pour of Buffalo Trace. I just opened the bottle and I must admit the nose was strange. Maybe spicy or woody or whatever. Just strange. The strangeness left on the first sip. This had a great taste, up there with the top shelfers. Mikey likes it. usflag.gif

Still digging the Weller Antique. In fact, yesterday I scored two 1.75 liter bottles of the stuff. woohoo.gif

toast.gif

Unfortunately, I've never seen the squat bottle. But I just found PVWR 20yr on sale for $65.99. That's coming home.

Weller Antique for me also. LOL. Excellent for the money. I put it close to ORVW 10yr 107. toast.gif

I started out with some Stagg '05, diluted to approximately 100 proof. Nice pour. I was lucky enough to find some new Stagg '05 in MA last weekend so I decided to indulge a bit. This bourbon does not cease to amaze me...

I then went to the dark side and had a little pour of Bruichladdich 10 (the cheap stuff) and enjoyed that a lot - nicely balanced but full flavored. Then, I went back to bourbon country and had some Old Charter Proprietors Reserve in the tall slender (Louisville) bottle and remembered why I like to hoard this whiskey. It's darn nice and darn complex! Fruit, spice, wood, all sorts of nice flavors! It's the most 'fruity' whisey I've ever seen of that age - I don't know how they do that. I found another bottle today in a local store and I feel no guilt at all... a great whiskey and one I'll be able to sip for some time to come.

OCPR13 will be the pour to finish the evening...

-monte-

Last night started out with a nice double-shot pour of Pappy 15yo. Half was consumed neat, the other half with ice.

Post dinner I sat down in front of the TV with a nice healthy pour of Wild Turkey Freedom on ice.

Both were strong and robust in flavour, but the Pappy was definately the favourite yum.gif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!