What bourbon are you drinking now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Been working on a bottle of Bakers myself. We don't talk about this bourbon often, but it is a fine pour.

Tonight I had a pour of Hirsch 16 yum.giffollowed by a pour of PVWFR 15 yum.gifyum.gif. Both were superb.

Joe usflag.gif

Last night was some Super Bird 108! Very tasty - lots of butter-caramel. yum.gif

BTW - that would be WT Rare Breed - I've nicknamed it Super Bird.

toast.gif

holy smokes, I just tried a Van Winkle 12 yr Lot B.

wow i am very impressed with it. very rich flavor.

holy smokes, I just tried a Van Winkle 12 yr Lot B.

wow i am very impressed with it. very rich flavor.

It's one of my favorites. Last night I started with Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year (Just got it)and finished with the Lot B. I really liked the ORVW 10 a lot. It held up well after the 12yr Lot B. I now have in my bunker, in order of preference, Pappy 20 year, Pappy 15 yr, Van Winkle 12 yr Lot B, and now the ORVW 10yr. If I were a wealthy man, the 20yr would be in my glass every night. I will seek out the Family Reserve Rye (can't go wrong I'm sure) to round out my "family reunion". Of all my bourbons, the Van Winkles are my favorites. There are many left to try; but these are excellent. The ORVW 10yr is about the same price as the Evan Williams SB Vintage, and that's a close call for me.

i have both the 15 yr and 20 yr PVW sitting on my shelf, yet to try them, but sounds like they are every bit as good as the the Lot B. I have also tried the ORVW 10 yr, (90 proof). It's good, but I would agree that Lot B is above it. The Lot B has more age that gives it more richness throughout. What an awesome nose!

it's a lot different compared to, say Stagg. Stagg is a top fuel dragster, while I would liken the Lot B to a fine handling roadster. Both are exciting in their own right.

looking forward to trying the Pappy van Winkles next.

i have both the 15 yr and 20 yr PVW sitting on my shelf, yet to try them, but sounds like they are every bit as good as the the Lot B

All three are wonderful bourbons that I think you will find a family resemblance in but each is it's own individual. Pappy 20 is the big brother who is ruling the roost except when older brother Pappy 23 comes home from college every once in a blue moon. He has put in his time learning from Pappy 23 and is not shy in letting the others know that he's been there longer by flexing his muscles. The Pappy 15 is the little brother who follows his big brother around and tries to do everything he does but just hasn't been around long enough to get away with it. Lot B seems to me to be the sweet little sister all dressed in pink with a cute little smile but a twinkle in her eye.

Dane, I gotta admit, you have a way with words. I might add, the 15 has an anything you can do I can do better attitude (check the proof). But he is still the 20's little brother, and he doesn't always get away with it. And as for you NorCalBoozer, go for it! So how often does the 23 year old get released? Chaz

Chaz, according to Julian, the barrels for this year's release of Pappy 23 will celebrate their 23rd birthday in early December. Maybe in time for Santa to fill your stocking....

After a little "side trip" north of the border (Forty Creek Three Grain), I'm now working on a generous pour of Spring Stagg. drink.gifwoohoo.gif In honor of the occasion, I picked the handle "131.8 Proof" during my online game of Scorched3D. grin.gif

Started the evening with some Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2004. This is sort of the 'bastard' of the BB family -- many of us were upset when they reduced the age from 13 back to 9 years. But it's really quite enjoyable -- comparable to early Woodford Reserve, I think, and about the same age.

Right now, I have some 1985-bottled, gold-labeled Wild Turkey 12yo in my glass, and it is superb bourbon. All the right notes, with nothing detracting. Wonderful candied nose, maple over subdued leather palate, warm, sweet finish. Don't pass up a chance to try it.

Wild Turkey 101 8 year old. I was reading about DougDog's

WT 101 8 year old find and it made me thirsty. Since I can get it here easily I thought I ought to take advantage of that fact. Might have some of the 12 year old later. It is too pricy for a daly pour but it sure is nice.

Ed

Well, last night I tried the Old Forester 100 again. I just can't embrace it. I'm planning a trip to the "big city" (Denver) tonight to stock the bunker. I'll be looking for Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, or maybe the ORVW 107 , some Four Roses or maybe some Black Maple Hill 17yr or older. Regardless, I'll be on the lookout for anything not found at home. Still, brown spirits get shorted on the aisles even at the superstores. Do we really need 752 vodkas to choose from? Woo Hoo, Absolute Passionate Persimmon and Figgy Fruit flavored. Now which aisle has the tiny umbrellas...

I'm planning a trip to the "big city" (Denver) tonight to stock the bunker. I'll be looking for Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, or maybe the ORVW 107 , some Four Roses or maybe some Black Maple Hill 17yr or older.

There are some liquor stores in Denver with pretty good bourbon selection. I don't remember the names, but could drive to them. You should be able to find Family Reserve Rye and other Van Winkle selection. Four Roses is pretty much KY only. There is one store on NW side of town up 121 near Superior that I bought 4 bottles of 2002 Stagg.

I just came back from Tallinn, Estonia with four different bottles: Thompson, Medleys, Marshalls and Old Virginia. I've had a taste of the first three this evening.

None of them will be noted as favorties in my book, but coming from Sweden where Bourbon is shunned by the government alcohol monopoly, they're a cool addition to my humble boorbon collection.

woohoo.gif

Still, brown spirits get shorted on the aisles even at the superstores. Do we really need 752 vodkas to choose from? Woo Hoo, Absolute Passionate Persimmon and Figgy Fruit flavored. Now which aisle has the tiny umbrellas...

They sell what is selling. Personally, even if I were to switch to white spirits, it still wouldn't be vodka. Rum, gin, something with some flavor.

People seem to be in to things without flavor, these days. Expensive bottled water, etc. I bought some Eggland's Best eggs a few weeks ago, because people kept telling me how great they taste. Guess what? They had no discernable flavor. Eggs for people who don't like the taste of eggs. Bah! soapbox.gif

Tim

Cool! I have never been to Estonia. I hear there are some very pretty girls, there. blush.gif

Tim

Got any f that 2002 Stagg left? I would like to by 1 or 2 bottles if it is posible.

I just came back from Tallinn, Estonia with four different bottles: Thompson, Medleys, Marshalls and Old Virginia...

A photo would be appreciated, if possible. Neat finds.

Elijah Craig 12 yr old. Recently I realised that I had let myself run out of this wonderful bourbon, so today I went and bought a bottle. Drinking it now. Very happy that I got this. Sip-sigh!

Ed thankyousign.gif Heaven Hill!

I just came back from Tallinn, Estonia with four different bottles: Thompson, Medleys, Marshalls and Old Virginia...

A photo would be appreciated, if possible. Neat finds.

This was my first trip to Estonia so i took quite a lot of photos that you can currently watch on my blog:

http://dlundh.blogspot.com/.

All the text in the blog is in swedish though so you won't find my bylines to the photos helpful I'm afraid. smile.gif

Photo of my newly purchased bourbons are up on flickr here:

http://photos23.flickr.com/26388967_865a4bcd08_o.jpg

toast.gif

Fascinating pictures, even if I don't understand a word of Swedish. grin.gif The pedicab looks pretty cool, especially as I'm a big fan of recumbent trikes and bikes.

As for that photo I linked, the red one on the right (a WizWheelz) is mine, while the silver one (a Sun EZ-Tadpole) belongs to my father. Unfortunately, he's a teetotaler, but at least he isn't a prohibitionist. smile.gif

Back on-topic, I'm enjoying some of the Ancient Ancient Age 10yo I picked up yesterday. This is a very smooth, easygoing bourbon - perfect for kicking back on a hot summer night. Even better yet, it was fairly cheap at about $14. Definitely high on the quality/price ratio. Looks like I better bunker a few of these...

Started off the night with two fingers of Old Weller Antique and then proceeded for two fingers of Old Rip Van Winkle 15yr 107 Lawrenceville Bottling. OMG! Yummy combo!

falling.gif

If you are going to Denver, be on the lookout for Buffalo Trace (if you have not tried it before). It should be in a number of stores, most notably Apple-Jacks.

Ken

Actually, here in Colorado Springs we have Buffalo Trace. I've not picked up a bottle as of yet. And Tim, as to things moving in a "flavorless" direction, when I do have a Martini, it's alway with gin (and blue cheese stuffed olives)because I want flavor, no, I crave flavor. White spirits are very hot indeed, but only vodka. At one of the superstores in Denver, they have a vodka selection larger than many stores entire selection.But I beleive there will be a backlash (better than backwash)and bourbon just might be the next big trend. Good news, we will see greater selection in the aisles; bad news, we will probably see increased prices for the "super premiums". But, in regards to new product, it takes time. A very good friend of mine is distilling a new super premium vodka, Altius, because he did not want to go to investors and say "in 6-8 years you can expect a return on your investment". So vodkas proliferation may have something to do with it being so quick to come to market.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!