What bourbon are you drinking now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened my first bottle of Hirsch 16 in honor of achieving brown-belt in kung fu this weekend. Delicious stuff.

Right now I am drinking Evan Williams Single Barrel '95 with the wonderful creamy vanilla taste as soon as it hits the mouth. smile.gifdrink.giftoast.gifyum.gif

Opened my first bottle of Hirsch 16 in honor of achieving brown-belt in kung fu this weekend. Delicious stuff.

I'm enjoying its sibling -- Michter's Sour Mash Whiskey, from a 1978 bottling, so perhaps distilled at about the same time the Hirsch was in 1974.

Apple-pie spice and fruit. Hirsch with the bark stripped off.

Wild Turkey 12 year old. You know there is a smile on my face!

Ed

Congratulations, never made it past purple here, but my daughter made brown. Does your system go from brown to red and then black?

Pappy 20 tonight in my glass, it is a night of celebration for us.

toast.gif

Congratulations, never made it past purple here, but my daughter made brown. Does your system go from brown to red and then black?

Thanks! In our style (chu'an fa kajukenbo kung fu), brown is the last stop before black. I've been training hard for 5 years. It feels great to have made it this far, but the home stretch over the next year and a half will be very challenging.

Tonight's pour: Stagg Spring 05.

Well Done Clayton - that's an awesome achievment toast.gif

I tried to find a bottle or 95 Evan Williams Single Barrel for a party tonight, but it doesn't appear to have hit our shores yet frown.gif

Nearly bought another bottle of Bulleit, but settled for a bottle of Jim Beam Rye instead yum.gif

Just now I am sipping on double of Elmer T Lee. It has been a little while since I had this one. Sweet and spicy, nice finish. Before that I had a double of Old Forester 86 proof. Not as sweet, just as spicy. I am getting a hint of grape in both of them. Probably me rather than the bourbon. I never noticed it before and probably never will again.

Ed

The EWSB 95 is available in Australia, at least around where I live. Having tried and loved all of the EWSB since 93, I'd say that the 95 is more a bold flavour profile than the 94, but sacrifices a little bit of the depth and complexity of the previous years. I personally prefer the 94.

Tonight (My Birthday) I enjoyed the first taste of a new bottle of Bookers that I bought for myself. A lot more sweet than I remembered it. Followed by a sip of a new bottle of Rare Breed, and Finally some EC12. I still prefer the EC the most.

I just picked up a bottle of Elmer T. Lee. It's been awhile, but it's every bit as good as I remembered it. Having been doing some comparisons on the Pappy Van Winkle trilogy (12,15,20 year) I was afraid I would be a little disapointed. I also picked up a bottle of Old Forester 100 at the recommendation of another thread. Totally different. I need a few more attempts to get past those differences, but heck, at less than $13.00, I'm open. As far as the EWSB Vintage 95, it's one of my favourite under $25.00 pours.

I would like to say thank you, to all the writer's at Straight Bourbon for some new challenges, such as Old Grand Dad 114, OF 100, and others I would not have tried.

Hey Pete_d - happy Birthday toast.gif Sounds like a good tasting night laugh.gif

The 95 EWSB must not have made its way north yet. I did notice that most stores' stock of the 94 was getting low, so we might be due for some shortly.

Just opened a bottle of WT Rare Breed. yum.gif

I really hope the bean counters @ WT leave this one alone. banghead.gif

toast.gif

I'm sure it'll reach you soon. It's worth having as a foil/alternative to the typical EW taste. Less of that trademark 'menthol' taste that is just hiding in the taste profile of the EWSB bottles, but I believe a hotter, more potent style than previous years. To me it feels the same as EC12.

I might grab 1 or 2 more 94's before they go for good...

(BTW thanks to all for the birthday wishes.)

We've had the EWSB 95 for quite some time. But, I think I'll try to track down the 94; I would love to do a side by side.

Bulleit. Don't think I have read of someone drinking that on this thread. A tasty complex drink. Good stuff.

Tonight, it's Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, Fall 1990. I don't recall liking it that much the last time I tasted it, but right now, it's a lot warmer and the whiskey is undoubtedly at a warmer temperature; the end result is quite nice. Given that it's released in early Sept., perhaps this is the right season to sample OFBB? (or conversely, February when I had it last is not a good time to taste it??)

I taste a good bit of peppery spice up front, but it subsides quickly into caramel, light vanilla, some toffee like notes. The feel is nice - slightly oily but not too dense though. As it sits in the glass, the vanilla builds nicely. Very nice overall effect - not too challenging or extreme, just a nice tasting bourbon that has all the good flavors most people like in a pour.

Cheers,

-monte-

As you're sitting in front of your computer reading this forum, what's in your glass? yum.gificon_pidu.gif

Thought I'd finally get in on this thread. At the moment, it's Evan Williams (Black Label) 7 y.o., my daily pour...

Later, maybe some EWSB or EC12. All Hail Heaven Hill! bowdown.gif

I had bought some Benchmark to take on a fishing trip, and much of it survived (the beer didn't), so I thought I would try it in a more controlled setting. Put it next to EWSB 95, and it held up well. The EWSB had more going on, but the Benchmark had a few hints of complexity too. I'll have to put it next to VOB for the $9.99 championship.

Bob

Tonight we stopped at a local bottle shop on the way to dinner. I found Fighting Cock and Cola RTD's....I've never seen these before so I just had to try them (as Fighting Cock bottles aren't available in our state)

With 24 different bottles of bourbon open, It's a tough choice...They're all good...

Start with Rock Hill, sip a whole bunch of different

ones and end with a sip of ORVW 15yo...

I haven't found a bourbon better than ORVW 15yo to end with.

I haven't found a bourbon better than ORVW 15yo to end with.

I haven't found a better one period.

After starting out with something off-topic (Glenrothes 1974), I'm now enjoying some Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve - the 101-proof version. Mmmmmm on both counts. yum.gif What a shame RR is getting watered down. I think I better bunker a few bottles of 101 while I can.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!