What bourbon are you drinking now? Summer '06 edition

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Even though the evening calls for my dwindling supply of Fall '05 Stagg, I am being sensible and "sipping" a Lot B before the fun begins.

Not to worry, I know where to find it if I need it.

Polished off the last of my FC103. It's probably the last bourbon I'll get to actually enjoy until the end of the weekend. During the weekend I'll be at a family gathering getting tanked on beer with my favorite cousin :)! I can't wait even though we'll be drinking beer the whole time. Perhaps I shall make good use of the flask my brother gave me for my birthday... :D

Not bourbon, exactly. It's Sazerac 18 y/o rye.

When I pulled the cork for the first time tonight, there was no "thonk" sound. I feared a bad seal with unknown consequences. Now I'm on my second glass, and I detect no off-flavors.

What I do detect is wood, and plenty of it. IMO, this whiskey would have been better with a few years less time in the wood. The spicy, zesty flavor that I associate with ryes I have enjoyed in the past is almost overwhelmed by the sooty, barrel notes.

That said, it's not quite as overwhelming as at least one sample of EC18 I've had.

Perhaps some subtle flavor elements will peek through with continued tasting.

I suspect this is a bottle that I will finish over a period of several years, never to be replaced. More interesting than enjoyable.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Tonight was Scotch night but I ended with a wheater. I started with Glenfarclas 105, nice nose but a bit too strong. I'll have to dilute this one going forward. Then I went to Aberlour Abunadh, nice but I do not like this one as much as others do.

I then had a William Larue Weller. I like this a lot but I don't LOVE it, dunno why.

Scored another Old Cabin Still (1969) recently. I love this stuff. Got a bottle of 1970 Old Fitzgerald Prime too. Nice...smoother than the Cabin Still. Mixing all this up with some Pappy 15. It's been a wonderful week!

Finished off a bottle of S-W OWA 107... near perfection in a bottle.

How can you tell a S-W OWA 107 from one more recent that was produced by BT?

Thanks

Oscar

How can you tell a S-W OWA 107 from one more recent that was produced by BT?

Thanks

Oscar

It will be made in Louisville, not Frankfort.

Joe :usflag:

Am having a nice pour of Russell's Reserve 90. Picked up a bottle of this on Saturday. My first one. I have gone through a couple of the RR 101's in the past, and though I think that it was a good whiskey, I had never gained a love for it like many here have expressed. The RR90 is very nice, and every bit as good as the RR101 IMHO. But, at the same time, I would be pissed too, if they took one of my favorite bourbons from me, for no other reason, one could reasonably argue, than profit motive. I feel your pain.

JOE

Knob Creek.

I'm not sure why, but it was the first bourbon I thought of when I learned that today is Bobby Cox's birthday. Here's to ya, Bobby! :toast:

Tonight the nose suggests cinnamon, and the palate reminds me of the whole-wheat/oat pancakes I ate with a flood of maple syrup yesterday morning.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I'm taking a break from my cocktail kick to revisit my WT101 neat, to toast its BOTM selection. :toast:

For the second night in a row I’m having some Jim Beam White Label. It’s been a while since I’ve had this bourbon and I’m enjoying it less than ever. The taste is too sweet and lacks that hot alcohol kick that most other bourbons have. It’s not just the proof, I was drinking WT80 on Sun with my cousin and her bf and, although also a bit weak, it wasn’t nearly as lacking as this. Although I’ve never had a bourbon I disliked I must say that this is probably the least preferable to me.

All week I've been celebrating the fact that I have a new bottle of Very Old Barton BIB that I got the week before last, so now I can freely drink from the one that I have already open.

Black Maple Hill 11, then some Weller 12 and finally a pour of Bulleit before bed, just trying to kill the bottle. It seems like the one bottle I had that I wish was empty I just can't finish, while my Lot B magically disappears on its own.

I'm back at the Rare Breed. I was in love with Knob Creek for a little while but this is the real-deal. Smooth, full of sweet and leathery notes. Just beautiful. Of all the barrel proof stuff available, this is the most drinkable by far.

My case of Weller 12yo was waiting for me when we got home, so i figured I had better sample it. It hasn't happened in many years, but I got a little carried away sampling, at:drinking: least that is what my head was saying today. (The hangover headache hasn't happened in many years)

My case of Weller 12yo was waiting for me when we got home, so i figured I had better sample it. It hasn't happened in many years, but I got a little carried away sampling, at:drinking: least that is what my head was saying today. (The hangover headache hasn't happened in many years)

Maybe you simply fainted at the beautiful sight of a case of Weller 12, and hit your head! :D

Curious to know, did your case come in the new bottles?

:toast:

JOE

Tonight I had to sample the BOTM and was not disappointed. I also had a dram of it's cousin Straight Rye. Both are nice but the 101 is better.

Tonight it was a starter of Very Old Heaven Hill 10 yr. Holy Cow, for $11 this may be the best value in Bourbonia. Ended up with Pikesville Rye. Still evaluating this one.

JOE

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!