Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

21 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Never understood all the Blanton's love other than the cool bottle. I've passed on probably 10 bottles in the last couple weeks at $52-$57.  Is it super rare in other necks of the woods?

It's super rare in this neck of the woods, and gets scarcer every year. I've always passed on it as well until my local store got their allotment last month. I hope it lives up to the hype...saving it for Thanksgiving with friends.

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Never understood all the Blanton's love other than the cool bottle. I've passed on probably 10 bottles in the last couple weeks at $52-$57.  Is it super rare in other necks of the woods?

*gasp*  I mean yes, all hype, pass away on ALL of it ;)

3 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

*gasp*  I mean yes, all hype, pass away on ALL of it ;)

Its all yours! :)  It's not bad, I just don't think it is that spectacular.  I saw it at pretty much every store in Springfield, MO a couple weeks ago and just saw a couple bottles in St. Louis over the weekend.  I think there is a lot of other bourbon in the $30ish range (ER10, EC12) that I prefer to Blanton's in the $50ish range. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the higher rye mashbill.  Sorry to derail the thread!

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

Its all yours! :)  It's not bad, I just don't think it is that spectacular.  I saw it at pretty much every store in Springfield, MO a couple weeks ago and just saw a couple bottles in St. Louis over the weekend.  I think there is a lot of other bourbon in the $30ish range (ER10, EC12) that I prefer to Blanton's in the $50ish range. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the higher rye mashbill.  Sorry to derail the thread!

Blanton's can be great, it can also be bad. It's the nature of single barrel variation. I really like it, but I also tasted a sample of it double blind and thought it was an underaged craft whiskey or one of those artificially aged whiskies. It was really bad.

In the new Netflix tv show "The Ranch", they like drinking some JB white Label, JD no 7. The last episode I've watched, a bottle of PVW 20 yo showed up. 

On 10/19/2016 at 1:01 PM, Masset1982 said:

In the new Netflix tv show "The Ranch", they like drinking some JB white Label, JD no 7. The last episode I've watched, a bottle of PVW 20 yo showed up. 

Saw this as well  BTW this is a great show if anyone is looking for something to watch

10 hours ago, Hop said:

Saw this as well  BTW this is a great show if anyone is looking for something to watch

I agree, it's a very good show. I've heard they are gonna make a second season:).

The "Bosch" series on Amazon.com has less product placement Than I expected.  We binge-watched Season One.  In Episode 9, Bosch (Titus Welliver) and his supervisor Lt. Grace Billets (Amy Aquino) meet in a bar to discuss office politics.  Bosch orders a Fat Tire, and Billets gets a "Templeton neat".  Looked like a four ounce pour.

Incidentally,  I've read Michael Connelly's Bosch series (the first several books twice).  The series is slightly updated (Bosch is an Afghan war vet instead of a Vietnam vet, for example), and this Bosch looks a little different than I pictured him from the books, but I'm really enjoying the series.  My wife, who is not a fan of "cop shows - too much gratuitous violence", likes this one.

• 1 month later...

Not a movie, but on NCIS NOLA last night, Pride gifted the FBI a 6 bottle case of Blanton's. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Not a movie, but on NCIS NOLA last night, Pride gifted the FBI a 6 bottle case of Blanton's. :ph34r:

Nice. I'm a few episodes behind (got them queued up on the DVR) so I haven't seen this yet. I''l be looking for it now.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:06 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Interesting. It seems like it is pretty rare for a network show to be quite so brand obvious whereas cable shows tend not to be as concerned with that. Or have product placement deals in effect.

The DVR helps me avoid most commercials but seems like I see more commercials these days, cars for example, where a show's character is essentially advertising a car as the character to the point that it looks like part of the show until you realize it is just another commercial.

Don't know if this has been posted before, but the search function has decided to fight with me.......!

Toward the end of the movie, Papa (a movie about Ernest Hemmingway's time in Cuba), there is a bottle of Austin Nichols Wild Turkey 8yo.

• 1 month later...

Bojack Horseman trying to get through airport security with a metal flask.

"Im sorry sir no liquid over 3 ounces"

"This is Pappy Van Winkle friend, do you know how old this bourbon is? If this was a person I would have stopped having sex with it a year ago"

On February 3, 2017 at 6:46 AM, onemorepour said:

Bojack Horseman trying to get through airport security with a metal flask.

"Im sorry sir no liquid over 3 ounces"

"This is Pappy Van Winkle friend, do you know how old this bourbon is? If this was a person I would have stopped having sex with it a year ago"

HAHAH

Watched boss Duane Pride (played by Scott Bacula) get scammed out of a bottle of Blanton's near the end of last night's edition of NCIS NOLA.    His kinda goofy 'good-bad-guy-hacker' friend (Elvis, played by Tom Arnold) from the past was a key player on this episode.  Pride is giving him a friendly invitation to the bar as a kinda wrap up for the whole gang that solved the case.    Elvis declines and uncovers the Blanton's from under his hat, saying something like; 'No thanx, I already raided your cabinet'.     Pride just smiles.    That is a pretty damned good friend to let anybody just steal a full bottle of Blanton' while grinning at ya' like a nincompoop.

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Watched boss Duane Pride (played by Scott Bacula) get scammed out of a bottle of Blanton's near the end of last night's edition of NCIS NOLA.    His kinda goofy 'good-bad-guy-hacker' friend (Elvis, played by Tom Arnold) from the past was a key player on this episode.  Pride is giving him a friendly invitation to the bar as a kinda wrap up for the whole gang that solved the case.    Elvis declines and uncovers the Blanton's from under his hat, saying something like; 'No thanx, I already raided your cabinet'.     Pride just smiles.    That is a pretty damned good friend to let anybody just steal a full bottle of Blanton' while grinning at ya' like a nincompoop.

I saw this one too Rich. Blanton's has been featured in a few episodes on that show now. A number of episodes back, Pride gifted a six bottle case of Blanton's to the FBI as a peace offering. When asked about his expensive taste, he said something along the lines that once in a while they have permission to access some confiscated property. I believe another episode featured it when the team had finished a case and had a drink together after work.

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I saw this one too Rich. Blanton's has been featured in a few episodes on that show now. A number of episodes back, Pride gifted a six bottle case of Blanton's to the FBI as a peace offering. When asked about his expensive taste, he said something along the lines that once in a while they have permission to access some confiscated property. I believe another episode featured it when the team had finished a case and had a drink together after work.

I remember the case as a peace offering.     I don't know why I didn't post that.    I don't recall the round of Blanton's after the case was solved on another episode; but I may have fallen asleep by then.    That has been known to happen to me on a few of the later-scheduled shows.    Ha.

6 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Just watched it. My wife recognized the Blanton's without even having to think about it. I'm so proud!

44 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

Just started Longmire Season 5. A Wyoming Whiskeybox makes an appearance multiple times. 

Is the show still good? We haven't watched since it changed to a network we don't get. I miss that show. 

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Is the show still good? We haven't watched since it changed to a network we don't get. I miss that show. 

It's very good, though I read the upcoming season 6 will be the last. 

9 hours ago, flahute said:

We watched it until it switched.  Gave it a few episodes on the new network (Netflix, I think, isn't it?), and my wife and I looked at each other at some point and agreed we were bored to tears with it.  One of the few shows we've abandoned in mid-run.

10 hours ago, flahute said:

ME2!    That was one of my faves.    Walt's stoic, plain-spoken yet wise handling of all that's thrown his way; not to mention all the wisdom from his Native American bud, Standing Bear.    I really miss this one.

The style of the show on Netflix is different from A&E, but I thoroughly enjoy it. 

Wild Turkey just made appearance on s5e4.