Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

On 12/1/2015, 1:37:34, mosugoji64 said:

We're halfway through the new Marvel/Netflix series, Jessica Jones, and so far JBW, MM, WT101, OGD, HH, and FRYL have all shown up. The woman likes some bourbon!

just started watching JJ too, and noticed her excellent bottom shelf bourbon selection.

Been rewatching the Longmire series and noticed several instances of Blanton's, Makers Mark, and even Bulleit

I started watching Longmire season 4 and Wyoming Whiskey makes an appearance in the cabinet of Branch's house.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2015, 9:44:24, fozzy71 said:

lookie what I spotted:

M1Apb7Q.png

Saw Creed the other day at the theater and came on here to see if anyone else had already called this one out.  I haven't seen smaller bottles of 4R, so was wondering if this is a dusty version, maybe even blended?  In Creed, Rocky describes it as Paulie's favorites.  Makes me want to watch Rocky 1-6 to see what Paulie is drinking.  Might have to do that over the holiday. 

1 hour ago, Lepisto said:

Saw Creed the other day at the theater and came on here to see if anyone else had already called this one out.  I haven't seen smaller bottles of 4R, so was wondering if this is a dusty version, maybe even blended?  In Creed, Rocky describes it as Paulie's favorites.  Makes me want to watch Rocky 1-6 to see what Paulie is drinking.  Might have to do that over the holiday. 

Four Roses sold only a blended whiskey in the US during the time period of the first 5 Rocky movies. They ended production of blended whiskey in 2002.

paulie3.png

Edited by Tucker

That was rot-gut from what I remember.  I read that Four Roses scoured the States removing all traces of this blend on shelves prior to introducing their straight bourbon yellow label here.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw in a episode of Grey's Anatomy them drinking a bottle of "Door River" which I thought was pretty funny.

Toward the end of  the movie, While We're Young, Ben Stiller walks up to a bar at an awards ceremony, on which are a bottle of 1792, and Jim Beam White.

This has probably been mentioned upstream somewhere, but in House of Cards season 1, (yes, I am just now getting into this, shame on me), in the first couple episodes, Blanton's makes a strong appearance. Mid season, they have what looks an awful lot like Makers Mark, but it may be a fake label. You never see it close enough to tell what it says.

45 minutes ago, Enoch said:

Neely Tucker wrote this article on "Justified" 

Justified

I try not to drink during the first half of the week, but when Justified was on the air it aired on Tuesdays.  I drank quite a few bourbons on Tuesdays watching Raylan, Boyd and Ava. It felt great to have a glass while watching. Great show. Fantastic writing (Elmore Leonard) and very solid plots. Good cast of bad guys. I think the whole series is available on Amazon prime for free. 

I tried watching it but when a show is that wrong about everything gun related it makes it hard for me to watch. I only watched the first episode, so maybe it got better.

38 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I try not to drink during the first half of the week, but when Justified was on the air it aired on Tuesdays.  I drank quite a few bourbons on Tuesdays watching Raylan, Boyd and Ava. It felt great to have a glass while watching. Great show. Fantastic writing (Elmore Leonard) and very solid plots. Good cast of bad guys. I think the whole series is available on Amazon prime for free. 

I completely agree.  Great show.  I found myself putting away a few more bourbons when watching it too.

In Frasier , S7E6, Frasier and Niles lose their dates at a charity ball, and drown their sorrows at the bar with Jack Daniels.

Watching the last season of Justified I noticed PVW gets some play but when the Marshals haul out the "good stuff" in their office it's a bottle of Blantons.

• 2 weeks later...

In the movie, This is the End , at 26:49, the guys are around the kitchen island inventorying their supplies, with include two bottles of Bulleit Bourbon.

During season 2 of Justified, which I've binge-watched this weekend, Raylan refers to 'Piper van Winkle' and 'Jim Bean.' It hurt that the hero blasphemes bourbon but fits in with the character who doesn't care what he drinks. This was referred to in the Wash Post article that was linked so I cannot claim to have figured it out on my own, but can corroborate it on rewatch. What doesn't change is that bourbon and Justified are a great way to spend couch time if that's what you're doing. 

• 4 weeks later...

ABC's new series, "The Catch", started tonight (THURS 24 Mar 2016).  At the half-way point in the hour show, a 1/4 full bottle of Bulleitt bourbon gets flashed in the background with the phrase, "Will this help?" But, nobody drinks.

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching "That Awkward Moment" when Ellie shows up and says "I brought scotch..." Sure looks like a bottle of Bulleit Ryescotch.jpg