Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

lot's of bourbon on the latest lachey's: raising the bar episode. they/he even bought a barrel of woodford reserve double oak for 12k.

Not going back to read 90 pages and I'm sure it's been mentioned but JTS Brown in the Hustler is my favorite bourbon drop in a movie. Glad I got to sample some at the Haymarket in Louisville. And I liked it. Wish I could find a couple bottles but not happening here in NJ.

Not going back to read 90 pages and I'm sure it's been mentioned but JTS Brown in the Hustler is my favorite bourbon drop in a movie. Glad I got to sample some at the Haymarket in Louisville. And I liked it. Wish I could find a couple bottles but not happening here in NJ.

one of my fave movies of all time since I used to play so much pool.

You would not have had to read far. It is the opening post that got this thread started.

Quick search didn't turn this up which I cannot believe. Nevertheless.

Early scenes in Warren Oates' great movie, "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia", a double Jack Daniels gets prominent mention.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
too much 4RSB
  • I like it 1

Did some marathon viewing of the Showtime Series Masters of Sex, which is set in the late 50's/60's.

During Season Two, AAA 10 year made quite a few appearances.

Caught glimpses of a few others, but none nearly so obvious.

This could also go in the thread about ongoing observations about the boom... Big TV is getting into the game, so I'd say we still haven't peaked.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/blog/morning_call/2015/08/nbc-fox-developing-dramas-about-kentucky-bourbon.html

This could be a good sign that bourbon as the "thing to be into" has jumped the shark. Especially if the shows are bad. Shows like Mad Men work because they reflect the cultural zeitgeist of the time in which bourbon was a big part. Bourbon was not the focus of the show, but was part of the style. When you make a show in which bourbon is a central part of the premise because bourbon is an in thing it probably fails because bourbon minutiae is only of interest to enthusiasts who are not going to get anything new from a drama.

I'm very skeptical.

I'm dating myself here, but Wild Turkey 101 had a nice appearance with Pamela Anderson Lee in "Barb Wire" circa 1996. Even back then, one needed to have already had a few themselves in order to get through that movie - good eye candy at the time, but knowing what she looks like now...nah.

Shows like Mad Men work because they reflect the cultural zeitgeist of the time in which bourbon was a big part. Bourbon was not the focus of the show, but was part of the style.

And don't forget, that just like the "real world", tastes changed...Don was drinking Canadian Club and Roger was drinking vodka at the end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm re-watching the first three seasons on DVD and cannot watch an episode without bourbon. I never really wanted to try Blanton's until this show...

I know, I know!!!! It really does require a pour, doesn't it?

I know, I know!!!! It really does require a pour, doesn't it?

I noticed that the Complete Series Box set comes with a flask.

I wish it came with a decent set of glasses, like the Mad Men Box Set though.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife put "I Remember Mama" (1948) on TCM. I've never seen it. I LOVE IT. Great tear-=jerker, period piece, etc.

Best scene: Uncle Chris is on his death bed. "I want one more drink!. Bottle's almost empty. Who is going to drink it?" It's Old Forester pre-prohibitiobn (of course since the movie is set in 1910).

• 1 month later...

We're halfway through the new Marvel/Netflix series, Jessica Jones, and so far JBW, MM, WT101, OGD, HH, and FRYL have all shown up. The woman likes some bourbon!