What Bourbon Are You Drinking Now? (Fall Edition 06)

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't like Bulleit. I have a bottle that I can't wait to finish. It's not the worst out there by any means, but for nearly $30, I know I'll never buy it again.

But tonight, finished off a bottle of Glenlivet 12 (don't get excited it had 1/2 oz. in when I started :grin: ) Then I had a very small taste of Talisker 12, delcious.

Also, with dinner I had a 2004 Caymus Cab, it was glorious!

I seem to recall Bulleit being a lot cheaper than $30 in Montgomery County, MD than anywhere else (BTW, this month, MonCo has Rare Breed for $23.99). I like Bulleitt as an archetype (or mixer for serious cocktails--that extra rye edge really helps) more than an everyday dram.

Today I opened my Very Old Barton BIB 6 y.o.

I see why VOB is Kentucky's number one seller, good neat or on the rocks.

Just back from Morton's Steak House. Watched election returns while enjoying a WT Rare Breed and a Woodford Reserve along with a Punch cigar with a couple of friends. Had the mini cheeseburgers with purple onions--AWESOME. Also enjoyed the other scenery at the bar.

Van Winkle Lot B - Getting close to finishing the bottle. I'm going to have to join the support group soon! :grin:

A lot of people are still talking about Bulleit. I've said a lot of bad things about it this year, but I think a lot of my viewpoints are chalked up to it's high pricetag (at least in my area) it's nearly $30 and it's no where near a $30 whiskey IMO. But it's not as bad as I've claimed it over the months. If it were the price of Buf Trace ($16) It's possible I'd pick it up again, but not at the pricetag, especially since I prefer Buffalo Trace. It's not terrible, but IMO it's not good either. It could work as a mixer and I've been using it lately as a cooking whiskey where to it's credit it adds wonderful flavor to food.

Just finished a bottle of Bulliet. I have always enjoyed the bourbon. It's been available in Maryland for 8 or 9 yrs and has always been priced under $15.

To celebrate the election outcome, I finally opened my Hirsch 16 gold wax.

:yum: :bowdown:

Wow! It was worth waiting for this! Soft, sweet, a pinch of cinnamon, and a long-lasting finish. It's kind of tough to open a bottle knowing that I'll probably never see another one, but oh my, it's a stellar pour. When I saw that gold wax top among a sea of gold foil, I knew which one to take. The gold foil version I had a while back was great - but this kicks it up a notch.

I will soon commemorate the outcome by opening a mini of Jim Beam white label. ;)

I will soon commemorate the outcome by opening a half empty mini of Evan Williams I got at the General Nelson.

Joe :hot:

I had the bottom crack out of a bottle of Thomas Handy that had just been newly purchased and unopened...

The flag will be flying at half mast this evening.:cry:

I had the bottom crack out of a bottle of Thomas Handy that had just been newly purchased and unopened...

The flag will be flying at half mast this evening.:cry:

How horrible!!!! Did you lose it all Mark?

Joe :usflag:

:bigeyes::bigeyes::cry:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAA!

Should I send a sympathy card?

I consoled myself with a pour of Evan Williams 12yo (thanks Ed) and actually ended up taking the bottle back. It was leaking pretty badly.

Started with a neat old fashioned with Blanton's...great color, nose and lingering flavor. Finishing off an EC 12-YR-OLD, which is not bad at all. Looking forward to driving to the Gulf Coast this holiday weekend to pick up some Buffalo Trace and VW.

I consoled myself with a pour of Evan Williams 12yo (thanks Ed) and actually ended up taking the bottle back. It was leaking pretty badly.

GOOD GOD MAN!!!! Did they refund you or fix it up or somethin? My sympathies go out to you Mark.

As for me, I am enjoying a quite liberal pour of PVW 15. DEE-licious!!!:grin:

So after not replying to this for a while because, well, I was crash padding it until I found a "home" which I think I have now so I started moving in the family!

Tonite I had a taste of Rittenhouse BiB, then a little WLW from last year to refresh my memory and now some BMH 11 year. Next a little bit more of that Old Charter PR, thank you Lord it is good to be home. :grin:

Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 year I haven't had this one in a long time. It's nice to get reacquainted.

Just a tiny sip of Blanton's this afternoon. (Tonight is duplicate bridge night, so I have to stay sharp.)

Last night it was the BOTM, Jim Beam white label.

Taken together, those two define the top and bottom of my personal "I just don't get it" range.

I have to say that Blanton's has one of the most appealling noses I've encountered, if only because it's so subtle that it's hard to label. However, for me it's all downhill from there, with a mediocre pallet and a finish that is bitter and dry.

JBW is similar in that the banana oil nose isn't half bad (at a respectful distance from the rim of the glass), even if idiosyncratic for a bourbon, but the palate and finish don't fulfill the nose's meager promise.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Had some of the Everett's Weller 12. I like this better with each pour.

Also had some of the WR Four Grain that I got when they unveiled it. What I have, I think, is not what eventually got into the bottles, but a slightly different mixture, and barrel proof, and you know what? It's not so bad. The copper penny thing is expressing itself more as spearmint. Actually pretty drinkable. I don't know what went wrong between there and the actual release.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.