What Bourbon Are You Drinking Now? (Fall Edition 06)

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In response to this thread and the "Whiskey Don't Keep" one, I'm having my final pour of Van Winkle Family Reserve....distilled 1970....bottled 1984. This one is clearly in the vein of the Very Old Fitz 8 and 12yo's of years gone by. Some rich caramel on the nose......and ripe banana on the tongue. Julian says they changed the mash bill after the sale in '72 and this whiskey confirms it.....this is a spiting image of those Very Old Fitz's. This is a fine whiskey for sure.......but I think I actually prefer the subtle sweetness of Julian's later SW whiskeys.

Randy

Am enjoying some OGD 114 from 1981 -- National Distillers days -- and like a similar-era BIB I had a while back, this has "sweetened" appreciably after removing (aka, 'drinking') the top third of the bottle. Strong whiff of butteriness in the nose which turns into red taffy.

Light cinammon/Red Hots on the palate, with a moderately long, leathery finish.

I'm glad to have come across a mini-stash of these ND beauties earlier this month.:cool:

Tonight, for some strange reason - no particular occasion, I decided to finally try the old 4/5 bottle of WT101 8yo that I acquired several months ago from a collection in Missouri. I have been looking at this bottle out of the corner of my eye for the last several months as it sat in the far left side of the bunker about halfway to the back of the cabinet.

Before I begin, I have a question and know someone here has the answer: how do I read the code on the bottom of the bottle to determine the age? Other than the normal "Liquor Bottle" lettering, the only other letters/numbers on the bottom are "1-" above the numbers "60 71" and then the letter "I" with a circle around it. Does that tell me anything?

Anyhow, I got this bottle last March. It was sealed and had an Indiana tax stamp in addition to the red one across the cap. Other than slight evaporation, there was only one problem.....but, a glaring & potentially serious one at that - the cork was seriously deteriorated. I would say about 1/3 of it was gone and you could see some residue in the vaunted bourbon - most of which was floating on the surface but some in the bottom as well. The previous owner told me it had sat upright in his cabinet for the last 20 years with no movement except for the occasional dusting cloth......arrrggghhh!!!!

Although somewhat disappointed, I took the bottle home anyway. I let it sit around for a few months trying to figure out what to do while reading as much as possible about such a problem and remedies thereof here on the Forum. Finally, in July I decided on a course of action. I opened the Turkey and triple-filtered the contents through 2 coffee filters each time into a stainless steel saucepan. At the same time, I thoroughly cleaned out the old bottle taking care not to harm any of the labels or seals. After the bottle was dry, I poured the contents from the pan back into the bottle thru a funnel and sealed it shut with a recently discarded WTRR cork cap.

Fearing the worst, I found myself holding that bottle up to a strong light at least once a week ever since July to see if it was cloudy or had any more cork residue. Although my eyes are not what they use to be, it has always appeared clear and no cork residue ever seen again. Well, like I said, tonite became the night to put all fears aside and go for it. I poured it neat, took a sniff, and then a generous sip. Much to my great delight and surprise, I was immediately taken back years to days gone by. I found a nose & taste that was unmistakeable.....one I had not enjoyed in many, many years. There was absolutely zero (or at the most very minimal) harm done to this bottle of good ole 8yo Turkey! It is nearly perfect.....as Turkey 101 once was - and still can be found today in RB in my opinion.

The moral of the story: I wasted all that time fearing the worst while missing some of the best bourbon ever made! I feel very lucky and fortunate considering that most of the time, cork - and especially as much as appeared to be gone in this instance, usually ruins the taste of the contents according to what I have read here. This time, luck was on my side.

2006 Birthday Bourbon. My first Old Forester BB. I kept tap dancing around this one, until I had a taste at Cliff's (Thanks Cliff). I love it here in Nebraska. But the bar and the back porch in Ken-tuck at Cliff's shack were conducive to drinking bourbon and shooting the breeze with friends.

well after reading the Chuck's Bourbon County Reader, what else could I pour except some Michters? I'm having a gold foil. The story behind this whiskey makes it that much more enjoyable.

I lucked into this find -- a 5 bottle stash of KBD's "Pure Kentucky" from 8-8-88, bottled on 9-11-03. Gotta be the luckiest whiskey barrel date of the last century! This is one fine 15 yo, rye recipe bourbon -- spicy, full and round without overpowering oak, primo (that's a Hawaiian term) nose, and a finish that XO cognac's lust after but mostly fail to achieve.

You know Cliff, I think I have a bottle of PK from that very batch! It's in storage at the moment so I can't verify that I am pretty sure it is Auguest sometime, but I really like it I know that.

As for tonite it is finish a bottle, cuz whiskey don't keep night and there is an empty bottle support group out there, WT 12 year Export Only version - now empty. I have to say the nose on this stuff is truly amazing it has that same cherry lying under rootbeer/sarsparilla float thing I first noticed in the Gold Foil 12, but the palate on the export just hits with so much wood its hard to pick out the cherry and vanilla on the palate. After a splash of cool water and sitting about 30 minutes it balances out a little better but still too woody.

Next,...... well bed because I am tired after working 70 hours this week, and that was before noon today - and I have to back in tomorrow :rolleyes:

Nightcap: my second-to-last pour of Fall '05 Stagg, neat.

Earlier tonight: one Martinez (with M&R red vermouth, Luxardo maraschino, and orange bitters), another Martinez (NP white vermouth, Luxardo triple sec); both of these used Plymouth gin. Then, a variation of the Red Hook (Bénédictine instead of maraschino, Rittenhouse BIB, and Punt e Mes, with peach bitters).

Good thing I don't have to drive anywhere tonight. :falling: :slappin:

I lucked into this find -- a 5 bottle stash of KBD's "Pure Kentucky" from 8-8-88, bottled on 9-11-03. Gotta be the luckiest whiskey barrel date of the last century! This is one fine 15 yo, rye recipe bourbon -- spicy, full and round without overpowering oak, primo (that's a Hawaiian term) nose, and a finish that XO cognac's lust after but mostly fail to achieve.

Is the bottle on those the old style bottle or the new one???

In the following order:

First, Kentucky Vintage (found a bottle today and decided to take a $20 chance on it.....not bad, not bad at all!)

Second, OGD 114 / UD Era bottle

Last, ORVW 15/107

This evening I am working on adding another bottle to the Empty Bottle Support Group...Bernheim Wheat. I like this bottlin more everytime I visit it. Probably not gonna hit my top ten anytime soon, but still a fine whiskey. I even manage to consider the price justifiable-compare it to any of the other new whiskey styles (BTEC and WRFG) and it's quite the bargain.

First, a Red Hook mixed using Fleischmann's Rye - very good!

Now, a glass of Crispy Critter's Can-Am Four Grain, aka a 50/50 in-the-glass mix of Old Fitzgerald BIB and Tangle Ridge. The first sips seemed a bit thin to me, but as I drink more of it, the flavor comes out. :yum: If I had a small bottle (like a 200 ml), I'd want to put some of this into it and give it a few weeks to marry.

EDIT: Well, that didn't last long! :drink:

Now I'm having a pour of Beam Black. This will be my next member of the Empty Bottle Club, since I finished off the Fall '05 Stagg last night.

I first started with WT Rare Breed and now have a pour of William Larue Weller. What a nice way to end the day.

bj

Russell's Reserve (pretty sure I met him at WhiskyFest Chicago 2004).

Loooking for George Dickel Barrel Select for this weekend;:hot: I know, it's not bourbon, but I sitlll like it.

Ok, three weeks away from civilization... Tomorrow i start the journey home from the frozen North. So, what will I be drinking (tomorrow)? I am already planning.

Noon tomorrow, the first plane... it's a charter, two drinks for $4. lol It'll be black Jack or Wild Turkey. Probably WT.

Anchorage airport for a long layover. Options are slim. Maker's Mark.

After I leave Seattle, Delta Airlines does stock Woodford Reserve.

And when I finally get home Thursday I'm looking forward to Rittenhouse Rye, Wild Turkey Rye, EC12, and Buffalo Trace... in no particular order, but a welcome home taste from each.

I'm also going to go straight out and pick a bottle of Bulleit and a Pogue maybe.

Your posts here have kept warm for the last three weeks, but now I'm like a starving(?) man.

Whiskey, here I come!

Jeff

("oh, hi Paula"):bowdown:

My neighbor just stopped over to say hello with a bottle of WT KS under his arm.

I love my neighborhood!

My neighbor just stopped over to say hello with a bottle of WT KS under his arm.

I love my neighborhood!

Yeah, that never happens to me.

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.