What Bourbon Are You Drinking Now? (Fall Edition 06)

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night it was a pour of Vintage 21 year. Tonight, it'll be 14 year Black Maple Hill.

I had a shot of Elmer T. Lee. The aroma and flavor were perfect, but it "burned" my mouth and my tummy. :hot: It must have been what I had for lunch.

Tim

again had the 50/50 mix of EC 18 and very rare old HH. I like this so much I'm going to mix the two bottle together. the EC 18 is my longest open bottle, so i'm glad to find a way to mix it to life into something enoyable.

Black Maple Hill 21, I decided on a whim to grab a bottle and it's delicious! I was suprised though with the seemingly high rye content as opposed to my bottles of 11 and 16. I believe this bottlling is brand new, could that be it?

I was thinking that this is the bourbon that Jeff waxed (ha!) rhapsodic about some time ago.

I was wrong; he wrote about the 16 year-old. You might find something of interest in that thread, just the same. I thought it included a run-down of the three different ages, but I don't see it at quick glance.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Finishing off a bottle of last year's GTS so I can open one of this year's release for the Breeder's Cup tomorrow.

Sazerac Jr. now; there's one last pour in the bottle, which I'll save for tomorrow night.

After this pour, I'm going to do a head-to-head of two Domaine Le Basque Armagnacs; a 1982 vintage (bottled 2005), and a Hors d'Âge (= XO) bottled 2006.

VOB 100 gave me a good 7 innings. Maker's held in the 8th. And my closer, Mr. G. T. Stagg, slammed the door in the 9th.

Ball game.

:toast:

JOE

Finished off my bottle of RHF tonight. I think that I will go grab another bottle of this. This bottle has really grown on me.

Just desided to pour myself a glass of ETL, figure it's a Buffalo Trace night tonight.

I emptied my Saz Jr. tonight. :yum: :cry:

Continuing on the empty bottle theme, I went with Scotch, and poured a double of Aberlour A'Bunadh Batch #7 (59.9% ABV). Even after all the time that bottle sat nearly empty, it's still stunningly good. From what I can tell, oxidation either had no effect, or was beneficial with this whisky. To reverse the "bourbon to show up Scotch drinkers" thread, A'Bunadh would be a good Scotch for a bourbon drinker, especially one accustomed to the likes of Stagg, Larue, and OGD 114.

I'm wondering if high ABV tends to stave off oxidation - my Fall '05 Stagg also stood up very well to being nearly empty for a long period.

Soon I'll have enough empties that I can start opening up some new premium bottles. :woohoo: My recently-purchased VWFRR is a prime candidate for corkenpoppen...

Last night was a 06 Handy and an 05 WLW. Both went down well and sent me to bed early as designed!

I went on an impromptu road trip today... and wound up in St. Louis. I took a walk over the Chain of Rocks Bridge (the old bridge that once carried Route 66 across the Mississippi River), and then decided to find a room for the night rather than go straight home. Needless to say, I decided to look for some bourbon to pour - and found WT Rare Breed (the WT-03RB version) for about $30 - less than what Binny's wants.

*snag*

Oh, my, this is a good pour! :yum:

Needless to say, I decided to look for some bourbon to pour - and found WT Rare Breed (the WT-03RB version) for about $30 - less than what Binny's wants.

The ONLY wtrb I have seen is the 03. Is the rest of the country short on this stuff?

I had some of the (IIRC) WT-01-99 version a while back - and that was a good pour, too...

As it was a little chilly, had a humdinger of a fire going in the outdoor fireplace last night. Ponied up close with 2 of the finest Manhattans I have ever made. Rittenhouse 100 Noilly 3:1, double digit shakes on the Angistura bitters, and 3 cherries with a little juice. Outstanding if I do say so myself. :D Weller 12 neat to polish off the evening.

JOE

W.L. Weller, Jim Beam Black, Wild turkey Rare Breed, & Bufalo Trace.

Santa Is going to bring me a Blantons and a Jeffersons Reserve if I can stay

good.

J.W.

Was out to dinner and lo and behold the host had a Woodford Four Grain that was given to him by his son-in-law. I managed to hide my trepadations as he admited that he was no bourbon expert. Took advantage of the taste that he provided neat.

When I told him what the bottle was costing he chuckled and offered the rest to me to take home and I declined. Besides being way over priced it had nothing very special. The nose went dead, the flavor very hard to discern and a poor finish.

Very Rare Old HH BIB 10yo. Rescued from KY by a friend on a recent trip. A whiskey that reminds you why you have to take a car when you go to KY--just to stock up on this and VOB BIB. Very, very nice, and at this sitting it seems easier-drinking and as intricate as its McKenna SB cousin. Of course the price doesn't suck either.

...Woodford Four Grain...Besides being way over priced it had nothing very special. The nose went dead, the flavor very hard to discern and a poor finish.

And that's a generous viewpoint! I coaxed Joel (TNsquire) into tasting it last night -- suffice it to say, I STILL haven't found anyone yet who likes it.

I've been drinking a lot of SW whiskey lately.....now I'm back to one of my favorites. SW bourbon distilled in March of '92......bottled as VWSR Lot B .......Van Blankle. What's not to like about it?

Randy

Just finished my second neat dram of Bulleit...and wishing I would have read and learned from seasoned experts :bowdown: at SB.com, as they would have saved me from myself. :puke:But, alas, it may always be reserved for a mixer for non-so-great company and the inlaws. :slappin:

speak for yourself...Bulleit is ok (in my book at least).

Not a top shelf. But I wouldn't kick it out of my bourbon cabinet. It's a fun bottle, a little bit of a rugged pour, but never the less, a distinct one. I believe I cold pick it out in a tasting (say maybe in September).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.