What Bourbon Are You Drinking Now? (Fall Edition 06)

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm going on the cheap tonight, Heaven Hill 10, Evan Williams 1783, and next will be AAA 10 YO. Three bottles that add up to less than $40. Not too much depth but the nose hasn't disappointed yet. However, each have required a good bit of warmth in the glass to make the nose come out.

I am enjoying my first pour of Eagle Rare 10yr SB tonight. I like it enough to drink it, not sure if I will buy again at the price yet though.

I've been debating this evening which bottle to break open when I get off work, which will be shortly. Though I have half a dozen open bottles I'm working on at the present, I can't bring myself to the point of letting them get too low or polishing any of them off...at least not tonight. So a new bottle goes in rotation when I get home. I'm thinking either a BT or ETL, something I can replace and haven't had in awhile.

BT it is.

This may be one of the first references to drinking OC 8yo that I know of.

Unfortunatley I have not been able to find other OC offerings. I picked it up, like you, just to try it.

This may be one of the first references to drinking OC 8yo that I know of. I am currently using a bottle as my cooking whiskey...

Some of us not only drank Old Charter 8yo, but one-upped it with an example of Old Charter 7yo that came from....YOU!

Check out this link

Roger

Doh!! What was I thinking trading a bottle of that wonderful elixir? But, I digress, that bonded whiskey is a heck of a leap in quality over the 8yo 80 proof stuff you get today. My OC 8yo was bought specifically as a cooking whiskey, as my bottle of Old Crow had been emptied, and the OC 8 was the cheapest thing on the shelf...unless you count store brands as actually existing.

Friday the 13th was indeed a lucky day for me. I had a pour of Black Maple Hill 14-year, followed by some EC18, and a little Booker's to top it off!

Some Rock Hill Farms, the other night was a fluke, it’s not bad but still tastes odd as ever.

Trying to force down some Old forester BIB 1979. ok...maybe not force down. Was forced to buy 2 bottles at the time. Bastards.

Although I am not supposed to be consuming anything right now after being on antibiotics for a week, I consulted the good Dr. Van Winkle a short while ago about the situation. Dr. Pappy suggested some of his homemade 15/107 elixir could only reinforce the pharmaceutical medications. So, I have followed the good doctor's orders. After only a sip or two, I am feeling much better!

You know, whether it's a teenage daughter or grown up sister I'd think you could make your point by adding water to whatever they normally drink and ask them if they can tell the difference. Make sure it's sufficient that they can't deny it and then give them that "see, I will know" look.

BTW, watching footgall today is cause for a pour of Stagg, and it's time I took up that worthy cause....but which one?????? Oh well, whichever has the most in the bottle I guess.....

Although I am not supposed to be consuming anything right now after being on antibiotics for a week, I consulted the good Dr. Van Winkle a short while ago about the situation. Dr. Pappy suggested some of his homemade 15/107 elixir could only reinforce the pharmaceutical medications. So, I have followed the good doctor's orders. After only a sip or two, I am feeling much better!

He's a wise one, that Dr. Pappy!

This weeekend I opened my Old Bardstown Estate Bottled 10 year old 101 proof.

It's not bad. corn husk nose. vanilla and a little spice burn taste. dry short finish.

after a couple neat, I then load it up with crushed ice and way I go.

Despite the reassurance of a few helpful members on this forum I still worry that maybe something went wrong with my home-made wine. So, purely in the interest of my health, I’m drinking some WT101 to kill any organisms that may now be living in my stomach. :)

...the Four Roses continues to amaze me. There is so much to this whiskey,...:toast:

JOE

Agreed. We can all be very glad Jim Rutledge convinced the Japanese that they should sell some of it here. While not my absolute favorite, I am always glad when I have a bottle on my shelf.

Picked up a bottle of Rebel Yell for 12 bucks here in Minnesota. First time I've seen this brand at the liquor store. Not bad......

"Fricky" and I had a pour of Michter's 101 from 1979, Michter's 86 from 1976, Four Roses Small Batch and a Pappy 23 today after snooping around the old Michter's Distillery in Schaefferstown PA.

Joe :usflag:

As far as bourbon goes, I love the Vintage 17 YO right now to drink neat. I prefer the Old Weller 12 YO to mix. I have been drinking a lot of Rye. I just finished off a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB and several bottles of the Sazerac Jr. I just bought a bottle of Bernheim wheat tonight and I am sipping on it now. I can't wait for the new BT 2006 Antique Collection to hit later this week or early next week. The new Thomas Handy and Stagg are supposed to be the best of the best.

Going slightly old school tonight. RHF BIB ......bottled in '96. Its not listed as a BIB any more. Slightly richer than current RHF. I like RHF old and new. A higher proof version of the discontinued Benchmark Single Barrel. The two clearly have a family relationship.

Randy

Going slightly old school tonight. RHF BIB ......bottled in '96

Didn't know there was such an animal. I learn a half dozen new things or so every day here.

I went to reach for a pour this evening, I looked at several, it cold and drizzling outside, I just had Stagg the other night, so...Wild Turkey Rye sounded kind of back down to earth. Nothing fancy, just a comfortable pour at comfortable price.

Of course then you have to add in sales tax, state tax, city tax, federal tax which screws the whole thing up:hot: :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.