Your most disappointing purchase?

arsbadmojo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well Gus, when I'm in KY next month, one of the bottles I will be picking up will be the Dant BIB. Let's hope it's a better bottle than you had.

Is it not available where you live? It's on the bottom shelf of practically every store in town here. The bottle I have is a Bardstown bottling from DSP-KY-31 with 99 imprinted on the bottom. I've been told that the Bardstown stuff is not good. Maybe I'll give it a try again if I see some other bottlings from elsewhere. Good luck to you.

Since it didn't just say most disappointing bourbon I'll add my worst SMSW in here too since it was MORE disappointing to me that the bourbon.

Bourbon - I would say EC18, its just not my cup of tea. Too smoky and too char-like. I can see why others would like it, but its not for me.

SMSW - Bowmore Darkest. It is the most artificial tasting SMSW I have ever had. Undrinkable to me. I cant even serve it even to people that like Islays.

This is off topic but, I think BT has screwed up big time by dropping Eagle Rare 101 10yo.

It is far superior to both ER17 and ERSB.

I agree. I had the pleasure just in the last couple of months in trying the Eagle Rare 101 10 year and I love it. The ER 17 is ok and the current version SB is not to my liking. I have couple bottles bunkered and hope to find more in the future.

Have to second the Corner Creek and Bulliet posts. Didn't even retaste either bottle. That's what casual acquaintances are for! :grin:

I'd have to say my bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo, as well as Wild Turkey Freedom. I'm prepared to give the EC another go, as the bottle I purchased in New Zealand had a damaged cork and may have been tainted (didn't realise until I got back to Australia)..

But, as Freedom is not available any more, I guess I can't revisit another bottle to be sure.

I'd have to say my bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo, as well as Wild Turkey Freedom. I'm prepared to give the EC another go, as the bottle I purchased in New Zealand had a damaged cork and may have been tainted (didn't realise until I got back to Australia)..

But, as Freedom is not available any more, I guess I can't revisit another bottle to be sure.

Yeah cam, I found your Freedom to bit a little 'flat' for a WT offering. There wasn't much to it. At least it's in a pretty bottle!

Scott

Have to second the Corner Creek and Bulliet posts. Didn't even retaste either bottle. That's what casual acquaintances are for! :grin:

And I'll "third" the Corner Creek & Bulliet sentiments. Tom V

Woodford, Basil Hayden's and Bulliet are certainly the bottom three of the 60 or so bourbons and ryes I own and the hundred others I've had. I'd rather have Old Crow.

A tie between OF Birthday Bourbon and Woodford Reserve. I know that bashing the Old Forrester is sacrilege to some, but I found it not only harsh on the pallet but a flavor that so far I can't describe except to say I don't like it at all.

I would have to say my most disappointing purchase was the first release of William LaRue Weller. I've pretty much loved or liked every BTAC offering up to that point and the WLW was just something I could never get my tastebuds around.

I have the first bottle still opened. It's probably been over a year. I think I'll go back tonight and give it a go.

If nothing changed i'll need to ask Gary to give me some guidance as to what to mix this with to give me something a bit more enjoyable.

I was very disappointed in a bottle of Black Maple Hill 11 yr. Had a chemical/benzine taste. I might have gotten a bad bottle, based on the opinions on the list for this pour.

-Kevin

A tie between OF Birthday Bourbon and Woodford Reserve. I know that bashing the Old Forrester is sacrilege to some, but I found it not only harsh on the pallet but a flavor that so far I can't describe except to say I don't like it at all.

On the OFBB, which year? My 2002 bottling is one of my top 5.

Tim

Recently, it was a half bottle of Rare Breed. The whiskey had a strong smell of fresh cork, much more than usual (which should be little or none). I tried decanting it to "air it out" but no dice. The odor is too strong even for mingling so I will discard it. It's the only disappointment in quite a while.

Gary

SMSW - Bowmore Darkest. It is the most artificial tasting SMSW I have ever had. Undrinkable to me. I cant even serve it even to people that like Islays.

Vange,

After supper some evening, put a piece of dark chocolate in your mouth and when it starts to melt add a little bit of Bowmore Darkest. Treat it as a sweet brandy and it's almost drinkable. Personally I find Dawn and Dusk even worse!

Stu

Stu,

Agreed. A bottling that was more popular than expected and went downhill as more caramel was added to maintain consistent color. The others aren't as offensive to me.

The good news is, with the revamping of their line, Bowmore is issuing a 15-yr Darkest (wow, an age statement: what a concept, guys!). I'll miss the 15-yr and 17-yr, but I'm hopeful the new bottlings will be at least decent. In the meantime, I avoid Darkest....ugh.

I thought it was crap after I bought mine as well. The weird thing is after I let it sit for a month or two and then gave it another shot.....it turned out to be a real interesting pour.

For me the worst was a Knob Creek sampling that turned me off of anything over 100 proof since then.

Another disappointment was Old Pogue. I don't dislike the bourbon. It is altogether fine. But I don't find myself reaching for it when I want a drink. I believe the term is "mmmm..meh." The bottle has been sitting opened in my bar for nearly two years (that says something), and has been relinquished to tastings by visitors who want to give it a try and the occasional cooking recipe.

I picked up some Old Pogue recently and don't much care for it. I've tried it several times now and it hasn't grown on me at all.

Craig

Yesterday, I went to pick up some Old Hickory that I had spotted. I bought and consumed a liter earlier this week, and it was pretty good so I thought I'd bunker its shelfmates. I was back in my car with my purchase when I noticed that unlike the first bottle, the others were labeled "Old Hickory Kentucky's Finest Bourbon Whiskey--A Blend". Needless to say, I was disappointed. I can't remember the last time I drank a blended whiskey, and I've never actually bought a bottle.

That said, I noticed that the GNS content was 49%, much lower than most current blends. So I opened the bottle and tried it. Believe it or not, I like it as well or better than the straight bourbon. I think it will mix well and I might even use it to mellow some of the edgier barrel proof bourbon I have.

So my most disappointing purchase morphed into a happy accident.

-Mike

Mike,

That is Medley bourbon that you have been tasteing. I have a few that are from Owensboro as well. There is a picture of one in the Houston gathering photos. Cheers!

A practical illustration (and thanks for sharing) of how an intelligently put together blend can be satisfying. Since GNS is essentially vodka, it should provide an example of how you can improve some bourbons in the bunker you otherwise would not use except maybe in Coke. Apart from "waste not, want not", the reason to do this is some bourbons actually benefit from adding a bland alcoholic element, just as some bourbons are better with a dash of water or bunch of rocks. All these ideas are on a continuum. Of course, if they drink good as is, leave 'em.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.