Your most disappointing purchase?

arsbadmojo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1792. Blech. Came in a perfume bottle and tasted like perfume.

Yeah I know I used that same line to describe 4R Sm Batch Saturday night, so sue me.:lol:

wow, that shows the incredible beauty of diverse taste, mashbills, tongues, bottlings, etc etc

i thought RR1792 was subtle, warm, creamy....maybe i had a rare good bottle or for you, vice versa....!:grin:

wow, that shows the incredible beauty of diverse taste, mashbills, tongues, bottlings, etc etc

i thought RR1792 was subtle, warm, creamy....maybe i had a rare good bottle or for you, vice versa....!:grin:

Maybe a little of both! Of all the SB's I've seen reviewed on here, I think 1792 has shown the widest range of reactions, which leads me to believe that they can vary wildly. I'm willing to give it another try here soon, but it was a nasty, nasty experience, and I am the biggest Barton fiend there is. Only bottle I've ever actually poured out!

Maybe a little of both! Of all the SB's I've seen reviewed on here, I think 1792 has shown the widest range of reactions, which leads me to believe that they can vary wildly. I'm willing to give it another try here soon, but it was a nasty, nasty experience, and I am the biggest Barton fiend there is. Only bottle I've ever actually poured out!

yes, that must have been an odd bottle! but then, last year was my first year to really explore alot of top shelf (and middle....and lower)...about 25+ bottles.....and this was in the top 5 for sure. and heck, here i am finding this latest OGD114 being still topnotch, but not STELLAR like the one i had a month ago!

one can never tell. but i like that gamble....bourbon isn't made by robots. not yet at least!

I had PVW 20 and found it to be very uninspiring. It cost $99 and we split it between 8 people. After trying GTS the same week, I so wish we had decided to split that. Even if we had paid $99 for GTS, it would have been a deal compared to the PVW 20.

Yeah I know I used that same line to describe 4R Sm Batch Saturday night, so sue me.:lol:

I thought this was a solid, if uninspiring, pour....very balanced -- no standout characteristics. Very smooth and tasty, though.

Late 80's I W Harper Gold Medal.

I've had ups and downs with this era of Harpers and Charters. There was a quality control problem that I've read stem from the fermentation vessels.

It's too bad, because as some of us who organized barrel purchases found, an upscale 4yo is a great niche, if there are the right barrels from which to choose.

Roger

Were the fermentation vessels possibly old shoes? Cause that is the overwhelming flavor I have gotten from these bottles.

T. W. Samuels

Not sure whether I am more disappointed in the bourbon, or in myself for being so slow to learn.

Of course, sometimes you do find an inexpensive bourbon that delivers more than its price tag might suggest. This was NOT one of those occasions.

No contest. It's Hirsch 16 y/o gold foil.

I won't bore the old-timers by rehashing the story.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave has said all that needs to be said on this topic. Too bad I didn't see this earlier, I'm stuck with damn near a full bottle. Has anyone tried it as a bathroom cleaner?

Jim

• 5 months later...

A tie between Basil Hayden's (insipid and simple) and ERSB. The BH I use as a mixer, and the ERSB I sold to a friend - now a former friend. :(

I'm surprised. I think I've bought three 1792 bottles, all from the same batch, I think. 1½ as gifts. It lacks some rye punch, but I've never been disappointed. I think it's comparable to ETL - a bit sweeter and less hot, perhaps, but similar.

I'm surprised. I think I've bought three 1792 bottles, all from the same batch, I think. 1½ as gifts. It lacks some rye punch, but I've never been disappointed. I think it's comparable to ETL - a bit sweeter and less hot, perhaps, but similar.

Yeah, I've had it since, and it was great. I don't know what was going on with that bottle. I even encouraged a friend to pour her bottle out!

I think it's like a more sophisticated VOB. I can see the resemblence to ELT, esp with the sweetness, but I think it has that Barton je ne sais quoi that sets it apart.

I think I may have posted this before, but a long time ago, I bought a handle of Gran Legacy bourbon. It's a house brand bourbon bottled for CVS. I think vodka has more flavor than that stuff. :slappin: Joe

My vote goes to a 200ml of Early Times "Kentucky Whisky" I picked up out of curiosity when I was first getting into bourbon. It didn't make me retch, but didn't move me at all either...just flat and boring with a good bit of alcohol burn neat. It wasn't all that great in Coke either. I guess the aging in 30% used cooperage wasn't too kind to this whisky. EW black was much better at that price point.

So far it's been either the PS select barrels of AAA and OWA 7/107.

The Weller was smoke and char and the AAA was just nasty. Horrible. I guess I have to have another go at the AAA. I'm still kinda on the fence about the Antique.

Ancient Age 10 year - after everything I had heard I expected..... something. It was just so plain and featureless it made Basil Hayden's seem dynamic in comparison. I have had well water with more flavor.

The Weller was smoke and char.

I'm still kinda on the fence about the Antique.

Ancient Age 10 year - after everything I had heard I expected..... something. It was just so plain and featureless it made Basil Hayden's seem dynamic in comparison. I have had well water with more flavor.

To update, I will say that the Russell's Reserve 90 is my most disappointing purchase to date. Not because I thought it was awful (although I didn't like it much) but just that I expected so much more from a well-aged WT product -- I thought it was very one-dimensional and I didn't particularly care for that dimension. Oh, well . . . win some, lose some.

Ditto.

I can't put my finger on it, maybe WT doesn't want RR to have a WT taste profile.

I know what you mean, sometimes I swear I'll always have a bottle of OWA on hand and other times I say I'll never buy another one.

Well two things confound this even more for me. After letting the OWA bottle breathe for a few weeks it wasnt nearly as bad. I have to con Callmeox out of a pour from his 200ml AAA as he says it's good. Maybe I just got a bad bottle, I dunno. I initially bought the Ten Star thinking I had found something and I dont like that stuff either.

The other issue for me is that Old Rip 10/107 reminds me very much of Antique. Now I like the 10/107 but I keep thinking I ought to be able to trick myself into liking the 7/107 and save some coin.

On the save the coin tip, my OGD 114 really changed nicely after sitting for awhile, got a bit more carmely. I'm starting to believe this will be my high proof value pour against which all others are judged.

For me it has been Maker's Mark...there really just isn't much going on there. When I first tried it I had too high of expectations I guess...I just have always heard that Maker's Mark is a good bourbon...after tasting ETL, BT, VW Lot B, FRSmB, and others it just doesn't do ANYTHING for me. The only thing I use that bourbon for is Manhattan's now...:(

Well two things confound this even more for me. After letting the OWA bottle breathe for a few weeks it wasnt nearly as bad. I have to con Callmeox out of a pour from his 200ml AAA as he says it's good. Maybe I just got a bad bottle, I dunno. I initially bought the Ten Star thinking I had found something and I dont like that stuff either.

The other issue for me is that Old Rip 10/107 reminds me very much of Antique. Now I like the 10/107 but I keep thinking I ought to be able to trick myself into liking the 7/107 and save some coin.

On the save the coin tip, my OGD 114 really changed nicely after sitting for awhile, got a bit more carmely. I'm starting to believe this will be my high proof value pour against which all others are judged.

I am very much in your line of thinking, although not necessarily in total agreement. OGD 114 is THE BEST value pour I know . . .tons of caramel & enough wood to keep me happy. I felt the reverse on the OWA vs. ORVW . . . the Old Rip was a little too woody for me, but the OWA tastes just right . . . I need to give the ORVW another try & I bet I'll love it.

Definitely give the AAA 10yr another try . . . it is sweet, simple & luxurious.

I too find MM very unimpressive, i have a nearly full bottle that i just can't get back to after opening. Too much anticipation too i think.

I also opened a bottle of Frankfort Centennial recently and my first taste was dismal, i knew it wouldn't be as good as the Louisville bottling but i did expect it to be better than i was tasting.... at that time... i let it sit for a week and WOW, it turned into something very different and amazing! So initially it was very, very disappointing but on the second taste it renewed my expectations. :yum:

I am very much in your line of thinking, although not necessarily in total agreement. OGD 114 is THE BEST value pour I know . . .tons of caramel & enough wood to keep me happy. I felt the reverse on the OWA vs. ORVW . . . the Old Rip was a little too woody for me, but the OWA tastes just right . . . I need to give the ORVW another try & I bet I'll love it.

Definitely give the AAA 10yr another try . . . it is sweet, simple & luxurious.

Could eveybody please stop talking about OGD 114?:cry:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.