Your most disappointing purchase?

arsbadmojo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I took a look at my disfavored OGD BIB (National) bottling. On the faux tax stamp that is stuck to the oversized cap it says, in black print letters that were clearly added later, "Aged 8 Years / Bottled / Fall of 1989" That is the only indication of age - it's not anywhere on the label itself.

So I took a look at my disfavored OGD BIB (National) bottling. On the faux tax stamp that is stuck to the oversized cap it says, in black print letters that were clearly added later, "Aged 8 Years / Bottled / Fall of 1989" That is the only indication of age - it's not anywhere on the label itself.

I believe Grand Dad was designed to be sold at 6 years, and since they went to the trouble to affix an auxiliary label on which they could have said anything (truthful), it seems that it probably is indeed 8 years and not 10 or more. I'm surprised that you got a woody bottle...

Roger

I'd be curious to try an OGD that's thought to be too woody. Any ND version of Dad I've tasted has been nothing less than top notch, all proof levels notwithstanding.

To ring in with my most disappointing purchase, it would have to be a recent--and much anticipated--acquisition of Wild Turkey 12 year old, gold label. I literally had a dream of buying this ambrosia once I knew I could get my hands on some.

Alas, once I opened the bottle and put it to my lips I immediately thought something was off. The cork looked funny and decayed to me, so I imagined it might be cork taint. Nosing it gave no indication of what was to come, but there was certainly an odd and unpleasant taste on the finish.

I took it to the whiskey group to hear the opinions of others who've tasted the 12yo before. They seemed to agree that it simply was too much wood.

In the weeks since I have revisited the bottle hoping it may have mellowed. Not yet.

The disappointment was so severe, I emailed Wild Turkey, voicing my strong complaint. They never responded to my email.

Howdy,

I was slightly disappointed in Dickels 12. Why, I don't know; it's supposed to have won many recent tast contests. Give me JBB.

Eggman

I here a lot of good comments of the weller antique 107 but the one I opened had a, let's see, moldy leaf taste. really undrinkable to me. anyone else ever gotten this?

Randy

I here a lot of good comments of the weller antique 107 but the one I opened had a, let's see, moldy leaf taste. really undrinkable to me. anyone else ever gotten this?

Randy

Randy, I've had 4-5 bottles of Weller Antique over the past 6-8 months and I have never had any of the flavors that you've mentioned. That's definitely an off bottle you've got there if what you describe is true.

Bring it back and get another.

The words "moldy leaf" suggest cork taint (as from storing the bottle on its side) to me.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

The words "moldy leaf" suggest cork taint (as from storing the bottle on its side) to me.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I thought the same, only Weller Antique is a screw top.

Randy

Is your bottle from 2-3 years ago?

There was a period about then where many of us speculated that an earthiness or mustiness was part of the BT taste. But then it...disappeared. As far as I know, we never really explained it - it's not like the rickhouses were all inundated by flood in that period, or anything.

This was talked about some in the BT BOTM thread and this thread .

Roger

There was a period about then where many of us speculated that an earthiness or mustiness was part of the BT taste. But then it...disappeared. As far as I know, we never really explained it - it's not like the rickhouses were all inundated by flood in that period, or anything.

Roger

I remember recently hearing the same thing about Blanton's.

Roger

I purchased it about a year ago. Earthiness is a good word for it. I got another one on Sat. and it is fine. actually, more than fine.

Randy

Never had that problem with Weller Antique. I had a bit of that with an ETL that I purchased. It subsided some once the bottle had been open a while. I just used it as a mixer but probably won't purchase another bottle.

Hey Greg? Do you know if the ETL had gold foil or wax on the top? I just noticed they do not dip the ETL any more! I wonder if the Gold Foil seal is the death note to all good bottlings?? :lol:

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Greg? Do you know if the ETL had gold foil or wax on the top? I just noticed they do not dip the ETL any more! I wonder if the Gold Foil seal is the death note to all good bottlings?? :lol:

Tony

Tony,

Sorry for the delayed response...been a while since I've been on SB. My bottle of ETL was dipped in wax.

Yellowstone NASTY it has no real taste to give any notes. It ruins a good coke.

My 2 biggest disappointments are:

Buffalo Trace (the regular stuff). Even for the price I thought it was ALMOST undrinkable. I thought it would be sitting on the shelf next to the rum for at least 6 months, but then I remembered old drunkard dad...give it to him. Solved all my problems.

And the PVW20. It's good don't get me wrong, but not worth the price at all...I love each and every one of the Van Winkle's as much as the other, but the pappy 20 let me down.

The funny thing is...Buffalo Trace produces my top 3

STAGG

ORVW (ANY)

WELLER (ANY)

SMOWK

• 8 months later...

The discussion of of musty blantons revived this thread for me.

For me, Blanton's was the biggest disappoint ever. The first bottle I had was musty and tasted like a wet basement. A friend let me try a different bottle - it was better, but very flat for a $50 bourbon. It amazes me that people who don't know much about bourbon, but like to buy expensive bottles always go to Blanton's and Woodford. To me, both of those are extremely flat and over priced.

Old Whiskey River.

I know that this bourbon gets very little love from you guys, but it's not a bad pour....Just amazingly overpriced for what it is....it's unrefined and rough -- what I imagined whiskey was like before I ever drank any: a rugged, cowboy sort of drink. If this was a third of the price, I wouldn't have been disappointed at all.

However, Sazerac Jr is the biggest disappointment I've had with any libation....check out the Sazerac Customer Service thread to follow the action ther.

i won't really even consider things that are obviously PREORDAINED to be disappointing....(Heaven Hill white label, charcoal'd...!)...or simply unimpressive pours like regular JD or JB white...

but i was really disappointed recently with my last two bottles of MY FAVORITE BOTTLING and DISTILLERY....Wild Turkey (101).

even this current RB is simply not the same as last years....what is going on ! or is it my tongue???

even more blah bland disappointed (again) is the basic BUFFALO TRACE....i really don't see the big deal to this pour. it's not BAD. but very DISAPPOINTING, esp. at $20.99 a bottle. would rather spend $14.99 on OGDBIB....and for THAT i'd pay....well....$20.99 (which is what i get 114 for!).:rolleyes:

As far as Bourbon goes, my greatest disappointment was Jim Beam (white label). Knowing how popular it is --- there was my first mistake --- I decided to buy a bottle.

A year later, I can't get rid of it. Can't get anybody else to drink it, and can't force myself to either. Turns out that there are cheaper bourbons that I like much better. But, hey, I'm still a novice at this.

I was thinking of vatting it with something, but why ruin something good by vatting it with 4 yr old JB? If I want to water down a good bourbon, I might as well do it with pure water.

1792. Blech. Came in a perfume bottle and tasted like perfume.

Yeah I know I used that same line to describe 4R Sm Batch Saturday night, so sue me.:lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.