Your most disappointing purchase?

arsbadmojo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Elijah Craig & Bulleit for me... Sounds like a common theme, but both were way overpriced for their substance.

EC12 tasted like a cheap bottle of OF 86 I had to force myself to finish it. The first bourbon I really considered pouring down the sink.

EC12 tasted like a cheap bottle of OF 86 I had to force myself to finish it. The first bourbon I really considered pouring down the sink.

If you ever get anymore I'll take it off your hands. It's as close as I have to an "everyday" bourbon.

I dont like it either. After working my way through half a bottle my brother in law came into town for the weekend and I foisted it on him.

He didnt mind one bit, and I didnt say a word! He also helped me dispose of my EWSB much to my delight.

Now I just need to have some more unsuspecting victims come over to help me get rid of my Old Overholt and AAA Ten Star.

I am very much in your line of thinking, although not necessarily in total agreement. OGD 114 is THE BEST value pour I know . . .tons of caramel & enough wood to keep me happy. I felt the reverse on the OWA vs. ORVW . . . the Old Rip was a little too woody for me, but the OWA tastes just right . . . I need to give the ORVW another try & I bet I'll love it.

Definitely give the AAA 10yr another try . . . it is sweet, simple & luxurious.

OGD 114 is another weird bourbon for me. Sometimes, I love it. I had some after a good bottle of WTKS and it just continued the slightly burned butter taste. Other times, I taste cough syrup and some menthol. It's damned hard to beat the proof/price and I love the big mouth pour. I just fluctuate a lot with this bourbon.

ORVW 10/107 is one of my favorite bourbons. Whenever I can't decide, this is one of my go to pours. However, I now let EVERY wheated bourbon I pour breathe for a bit. I'll usually pour it and just slosh it around the glass for about 5 minutes before tasting. That seems to remove some of the harshness. It works wonders with the ORVW 10/107 and the barrel proof WLW.

I'm in agreement with Oscar on OWA 7/107. Dane's bottle tastes great. My last bottle tasted like Makers Mark with a healthy dose of Liquid Smoke poured in. The reason I still buy the ORVW 10/107 is because I have yet to be let down by it. I feel the ORVW 10/107 is also the best bourbon to showcase the power of a few drops of water.

On a recent trip to Kentucky I picked up the AAA 10 yr and the AA BiB. I already had the 10 star and the AA 80 proofer.

I like AA and had high hopes for the 10yr, but out of all four AA products the 10 year was the worst - much less of the vanilla and carmel than is present in the others - or any flavor for that matter. Thin and watery without much flavor is probably the best description. With so many people liking the 10 year so much I can only assume my bottle is not typical.

Oh damn, I guess this means another trip to kentucky to get another sample.

I'd have to say my bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo, as well as Wild Turkey Freedom. I'm prepared to give the EC another go, as the bottle I purchased in New Zealand had a damaged cork and may have been tainted (didn't realise until I got back to Australia)..

But, as Freedom is not available any more, I guess I can't revisit another bottle to be sure.

I had to laugh when I saw the above comments from 2007.... mostly because I'm still trying to empty those bottles two years later. I've been mixing the EC18 with coke just to get it finished. Interestingly, the best 'poured from a barrel' bourbon I tried in Kentucky last year was EC18, so I have no doubt it's just this particular bottle. I may have to take a leaf from Dane's book and vat it with a few other bourbons that need to be finished.

As for the Turkey Freedom.... It's still sitting in a display box next to a couple of unopened Russels Reserve 101's looking good. Earlier this year Randy Blank was the first person to try a taste in over 18 months. I'll let him offer his thoughts if he reads this and feels inclined.

Howdy,

Characterizing Knob Creek as "disappointing" would be an exaggeration, but only a slight exaggeration. KC was too citrus tasting to me and not worth the price of admission.

Eggman

I think I'll have to say Booker's on this one. I'm glad I got it for the "Barrel Proof" experience but as I try more bourbons I'm finding I just don't return to this one.

Knocking it down a few proof points to alleviate the numbing power of the alcohol really shows how good OGD114 is by comparison. Perhaps as I gain more experience I will be able to appreciate it more but at this point it just seems one dimensional and too expensive.

It is interesting that Jim Murray gave AAA 10 Yr. 81 points in his 2008 Whiskey Bible and 95 points in his 2009 edition. That's a huge difference.

I know what you mean, sometimes I swear I'll always have a bottle of OWA on hand and other times I say I'll never buy another one.

I have the same reaction to the OWA. In fact I'm on the "I'll never buy another one" kick right now. I prefer the Weller SR to it right now even though I am partial to 100+ proof offerings.

• 2 months later...

I've been disappointed from time to time with something I've picked up but have usually managed to find some redeeming value in each bottle, even if I've vowed never to buy another. That is until last night when I cracked open a bottle of Old Bardstown that was given to me by a friend a few months ago. Man, talk about dogsh*t! Believe it or not, the nose actually wasn't too bad at first--dark cherries and a touch of maple syrup. But the taste was absolutely awful and harsh as can be. This is one bourbon that I'm not even sure will suffice as a mixer. Could be the very first bottle I've ever considered dumping down the drain.

Woodford Reserves Master's Collection

The worse bourbon ever

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Which one?

They are coming out with their 5th one soon.

Which one?

They are coming out with their 5th one soon.

1, 2, And 3... I would not give 4 or 5 a chance for free...

If you dig the taste of old damaged pennies this is the juice for you.

Very funny! Now, I'm never going to get that thought out of my head when I finally get around to cracking my own bottle of Woodford.

1, 2, And 3... I would not give 4 or 5 a chance for free...

The 5th one coming soon sounds interesting but I'll not buy any.

Did you see Cowdery's post about it? Thread titiled, "The New Woodford,...etc,...

I wanted to try last year's (was it last year?) Sweet Mash.

So I thought I would get 3 or 4 guys to split a bottle but no one was interested.

The 5th one coming soon sounds interesting but I'll not buy any.

Did you see Cowdery's post about it? Thread titiled, "The New Woodford,...etc,...

I wanted to try last year's (was it last year?) Sweet Mash.

So I thought I would get 3 or 4 guys to split a bottle but no one was interested.

I'll go in on this years model with ya, Oscar. I think I can include one or two more guys in the bottle split.

I'll go in on this years model with ya, Oscar. I think I can include one or two more guys in the bottle split.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Oh-Tay then, yeah this year's does sound very interesting.

I've never had any of the previous ones and some, like the first year Four Grain sounded awful.

I was most disappointed recently in Four Roses Small Batch...too floral for me. I was also disappointed in customer service department at Binny's today...they wouldn't let me have a taste test of the PVW 23 year they had for some reason...the nerve of some people! ;)

I was most disappointed recently in Four Roses Small Batch...

I'm with you on that one and I'm a big Four Roses fan.

Id like to jump in if I may, Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select was not what Id call an outstanding whiskey. I bought 2 bottles, and it just doesnt do anything for me. It seems watery? and tastes sort of metalic.

Maybe its me, but I prefer a stronger tasting, corn flavoured whiskey- Blantons has set the standard for me.

Any thoughts on WR gentlemen? Im still very new compared to most and havent tasted that many yet. Maybe my palate is not yet educated enough to appreciate WR.

I await your response.

Gordy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.