What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just had some Weller 12, damn I'm glad there's another bottle on the way.......

Scott

I got some new strings for my bass today (damn those things ain't cheap!).

Scott

Scott,

How long does a set of strings last?

Joe :usflag:

I play bass too.

I use flatwound strings (for a more 'old-school' sound), and the flatwound strings last a VERY long time compared to roundwound strings. I have a set of flats on one of my basses that's been on there for over three years and they still sound great. Back when I was using roundwound strings, I would change them after about 1.5 years, but most people change their rounds more often than that (some people after just a few weeks or even sooner). Flats are naturally more 'dead' sounding than the brighter sound of rounds, so they tend to last much longer before you think they need changing. At this point, I think I'll only need to change my strings if/when one breaks.

The rest of the story from last night and the cold I had - or, rather, have: the scotch did nothing for it so I tossed it after a few sips. It was a good whisky-and-soda but seemed to do little for my cold.

Instead, I had a few sips of beer (Canadian Carlsberg - I go macro once in a while). It did settle the stomach a bit, but I thought bourbon might be better for the cold.

I had a finger of Buffalo Trace, the barrel #13 currently being sold by Cork & Bottle.

Best drink of the night, but the cold did not improve.

I am starting to think the story about a stiff drink to ward off a cold is just a bunch of hooey. It hasn't worked in the past and didn't this time. Maybe I haven't found the right bourbon.

Gary

The story now. Stayed home to rest but still very sick. I hope a cold is all it is, I don't feel good.

Since I took the day off and the sun is going down, I think a medicament for illness is in order.

At a loss what to choose, I saw some pre-Katrina Jacquin's rock and rye in the bunker. I took that and added Wild Turkey straight rye about 3:2.

It's a good drink, probably close to what was taken in olden times to help these things. Full of sandalwood, spice, Turkish delight and the rosewater-like tastes which inform both the straight rye and the R&R - this may not help the cold but it tastes like it should, at any rate. More anon.

Gary

Scott,

How long does a set of strings last?

Joe :usflag:

Gus gave a good insight there, and I use the round ones. I haven't picked up my bass for nearly 2 years as I broke my E string (due to them being old) and simply have only just got around to replacing them. I usually buy Ernie Ball slinky strings...I love the sound but they didn't have any where I went and the guy suggested I buy Dunlops, so here we are. They're not overly expensive when you think how long they last, but it's a pain that you can't buy single bass strings, you have to buy the whole set.

Not quite as punchy as EB strings, I will see how they go after they are broken in.

What sort of bass you got Gus? I was drooling over a fretless natural Fender Jass 62 reissue I saw on ebay. Fairly decent BIN price too!

I've got an Ibanez EDB600. I love the body shape of this bass, it's just so natural!

Just so I'm not totally off topic, tonight I might drink some RR101 :grin:

Scott

I am starting to think the story about a stiff drink to ward off a cold is just a bunch of hooey. It hasn't worked in the past and didn't this time. Maybe I haven't found the right bourbon.

Gary

Gary,

Many people who come into my work buy rum (Bundaberg) to get rid of the flu. That crap would kill a brown dog. I tried bourbon to kill mine, and a mixture of Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms, Fighting Cock and 06 Stagg. I thought if anything would kill it, the Stagg would.......no cigar.

Scott

Thanks for the thought, Scott, I appreciate it.

I have a dinner committment out tonight and don't feel like going but I've decided I will and soemhow will pull it all together.

I get sick rarely but sometimes get very bad, flu-like colds.

I will survive. :) Thanks again.

Gary

What sort of bass you got Gus?

I have 3...a Fender Precision, a Fender Jazz, and a fretless Wal. I have extra necks which allow me to convert the Jazz to fretless and the Wal to fretted (the Wal's currently fretted), and all three of them are strung with LaBella light gauge flats. One of the bands I'm in is a Pink Floyd tribute band (called Echoes), and we have a cool gig coming up on 10/26 as one of the opening acts for Jefferson Starship.

http://www.bad2dabonebikerally.com/bands.html

Tonight I'll probably drink some Van Winkle 10/107, Lot B, or PVW15.

I just finished a Manhattan/Sazerac hybrid using 2 oz. Rittenhouse BIB, 3/4 oz. Vya red vermouth, and 1/2 oz. Xtabentún, with three shakes of Peychaud's bitters.

Next up: a pour of ER101. If I follow it up with anything else, probably Four Roses Single Barrel.

I did go with that RR101, followed by 1792, and then some AAA 10 year.

Scott

Ahhh I miss AAA 10 year.

tonight i mixed equal parts '70 Old Taylor 86 proof and '05 WLW. I have to say, this is much better than i expected it would be, but the WLW is just a bit too strong. Next pour I'll add less LWL.

We had a mini-Gazebo last night, I tasted:

• JD Single Barrel
  • my current 'house blend' which is BT, 1792, and a splash of Bulleit. After marrying for a week the Bulliet spiciness came out nicely
  • Very Old Barton BIB
  • Old Kentucky Tavern BIB 1959
  • Harper BIB 70's
  • WTRR 101
  • Mellow Corn BIB
  • WT-12 split label
  • Woodford Reserve low batch number
  • Benchmark 70's
  • ORVW 10yo 107
  • VWFRR 'D' bottle
  • Pappy-15 Single Barrel

A very fine night!

Today, with the Texans showing some heart, I thought I would choose some bourbon with the same. OGD 86 from 1980, Old Forester 100 mid 90's and Old Charter 10/86 late 80's. All of these are great everyday pours, full of flavor.

A vatting (made in the glass) of BT, JDSB, Hotalings Potrero and Alberta Premium rye. Glug of Perrier water for a super whiskey and soda.

Gary

Right now, I am cooking braised pork chops for supper (my wife is cooking green beans and baked sweet potatoes to go with them) and I'm having a straight shot of Elmer T. Lee. It is a perfect prelude to a hearty fall supper.

Now, if only "fall" would cooperate. It was 90 F, this afternoon and it is even sultry in the house with the AC cranked up.

Tim

Sam Houston tonight (no age statement).

I was in the mood for a softer whiskey, and on that count it worked. Very mild bourbon, milder than I usually like.

I've had the same reaction to other McLain and Kyne products. For instance, I've had a few bottles of Jefferson Reserve 15 yr which used to be quite inexpensive in Virginia (I didn't have the "Very Old" version which I won't bother with). It too, while refined and very pleasant, was also quite mild.

This bourbon, especially the post-10 yr version, has received mixed reviews.

While I don't dislike it, and I would say it's pleasant, I won't buy another one.

Sam Houston is not real complicated, but not one-dimensional either. It has a little mint and caramel on the nose, then caramel, vanilla and a distinct, but not hot, note of cinnamon on the palate. Some fruit in there - with that combination, not surprisingly, I'm reminded of apple pie. Then, oddly, I pick up some grilled meat near then end.

It finishes quickly with nothing unpleasant to mar the taste.

Right now, I am cooking braised pork chops for supper (my wife is cooking green beans and baked sweet potatoes to go with them) and I'm having a straight shot of Elmer T. Lee. It is a perfect prelude to a hearty fall supper.

Tim

Man am I salivating.....

I was at a wedding all weekend. The only bourbon he bought was Maker's so I drank a whole lot of that. I was told 'no shots' at the wedding. So I dropped in a single cube and told the groom it was a cocktail!

I also had Rittenhouse Rye, Knob Creek and Blanton's later on at a bar.

Well I finished installing the wireless router tonight after fighting with the MS firewall (would not allow the router to configure). I can not wait to get the Mac Book out.

Started the night with a nice pour of PVW 15 yr. and now a dram of EWSB 1994:woohoo:

Tony

Old Grand Dad 107 and Rare Breed 108.

I paired these just because of the proof numbers.

Call me peculiar, but I have rarely enjoyed WT products (except the rye), including this one. OTOH I have consistently liked the OGD 107.

But pairing them this way really highlights the corn in the OGD (try Mellow Corn if you haven't taken CORN 101) while making the subtleties of the WT more apparent.

Isn't bourbon cool?

Last night I opened my bottle of Iron Horse Bourbon. Charcoal filtered, slow mash. It also states on the label (printed, not hand written) batch 2 barrel 11692.

These must have been big barrels, as every store has the same details on the bottle.

We just received this bourbon into Australia as a new product and I like to be able to tell people what these things taste like! I was very surprised by this pour, a very thin and young bourbon, but it has some great qualities. It made a very nice mixer and is something I would buy again. It is Heaven Hill whiskey, bottled at 37% for the Australian market. I have paid more for much worse bourbons. I would drink this before Jim Beam White any day of the week.

Bettye Jo: do you have any idea how old the bourbon is??

Scott

Old Grand Dad 107

Isn't bourbon cool?

Yeah bourbon is cool.

OGD107? I have never heard of this.

I thought there was nothing between BIB and 114.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.