What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight I had to have another pour of my Weller Antique single barrel. I love the regular Antique but his variant is simply fantastic. Man I love bourbon!

I just poured a rather large ration of my SBC.com Pappy 23 B2#36...sort of resembles a large ice tea w/o the ice and thanks for asking...cheers!

A wise man once said, "Whiskey don't keep." So, in that spirit, I have been trying to draw down some stuff that I haven't touched in a while. Tonight I got to work on a bottle of AA that I've had for about a year. Not the 10 yo or 10 star, but the 80 proof with no age statement. Didn't expect to enjoy it (and I've said some negative things about it in the past) but tonight, I am impressed by the rich rye flavor balanced with a not-so-young corn sweetness. (Kind of reminds me of Old Charter.) The low (80) proof is noticable but... this is a really pleasant bourbon!

Tonight I had started with some Binnys Weller 12.

Moved onto Ridgemont Reserve. I still find this bourbon "different".

Then I decided it was time to revisit my Hirsch 16 gold foil. I still don't like this bourbon, I wish it was a wax top, so I could at least see what the fuss is about.

Finished up with Thomas Handy Rye. Hell yeah!!

Scott

Hey Solomon2, this posts is for you! Trips are bad because? no work in the morning that's why. Started the evening with WTKS 2004, switched to PVWFR 15yr new bottling...WOW! Opened a bottle of W.L. Weller 12yr from Party Source picked up on my way to Florence, and 2 of us about finished it. two Weller Special Reserve and G-ale and now a Turkey 101 and Pepsi...Tell the new guy I'm sorry! I may try to grab some sleep or just go to Lexington in a couple hours.

I think the guy I met tonight may sign up he lives in Covington KY. I did have some Pizza for those of you wondering.

AC

P.S. Party Source is out of the hand selected FRSB.

switched to PVWFR 15yr new bottling...WOW!

That PVW15 is damn good, ain't it???? I wonder if some amount of stitzel weller is/was held to mingle with the BT distilate? regardless this stuff is an A+++. It's probably creeped into my top 5.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Definitely my top 5. I have stated numerous times I think 15yrs is the sweet spot for the bourbon - I prefer it over the 20 and the (retail) 23yr.

My own mingling of National Distillers Old Taylor (all from the late 70's-early 80's, ones I bought myself but including some traded from Tim).

The nose is very NDOT: maple, butterscotch, candy corn.

The taste is sweetish, perfumed, with more maple/candied notes in a light, elegant interpretation.

It drinks very soft and long with the wood and light char notes very well-integrated.

It has about 6 or 7 Taylors in it and the average proof must be about 82-84.

It is very fine, and nothing in the modern repertoire of the houses really comes close (to this particular taste).

Gary

First KC, then Baker's. These are in top form right now.

Now, a bit of homemade vatted Scotch, poured from a 200mL bottle consisting of:

100mL Tomatin 12

25mL Famous Grouse 12

25 mL HP 12

25 mL Dalmore 12

25 mL Bowmore 12

A very balanced, nicely sherried pour built on an inexpensive base. I'm enjoying.

I'm going easy tonight. Started with a few small pours of ER 17 yr. and now a bottle of OW antique 107 $15.50 a bottle today.

AC

What was your opinion of the Eagle Rare 17? I found it to be the least of the BTAC. To tell you the truth I prefer ERSB 90 proof and it sure is easier on the wallet.

EWBL. It's not as bad as I remember it being. Rather enjoyable, actually. From now on, anytime I get a seemingly bad bottle of bourbon, I will let it sit for several months and see what happens. So far, this has been working for me.

The 17 is very mild and I am not a huge fan. The f;avors are weak and the finish is quite light.

I'm leaving it at my buddy's house in Lexington. It was $53 today.

I would rather have the Weller 12 yr.

AC

The 17 is very mild and I am not a huge fan. The f;avors are weak and the finish is quite light.

I'm leaving it at my buddy's house in Lexington. It was $53 today.

I would rather have the Weller 12 yr.

AC

I can appreciate the 17 in comparison to something like Makers/etc, but it just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the BTAC, and like you say, the price point doesn't seem to be as good a value as the rest of the BTAC.

George T. Stagg - 2006 Version. I'm down to 1/2 bottle and only hope I can make it last long enough to replace with a new 2007 - if I can find it! Seems like a short drive up to Kentucky may be in my future!

It has finally cooled down, I got a W L Weller Centennial yesterday and sipping some neat now. Just right.

Just had the Pappy 23 yr at Blue Smoke in NYC......Well worth the steep price tag.....They also had a Pappy 18 yr that is bottled under their name....going back for that next week

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

Water on the rocks with a splash of water.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.