What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Right after cooking dinner for the family, I poured myself the last of my Fighting Cock 103 and some ginger. That really hit the spot. Because it was near 90 today (the average should be low 70's) I needed something cool and refreshing.

My vat of Fighting Cock, Heaven Hill BIB, Heaven Hill 6 years 90 proof, 1970's Heaven Hill 86 proof. Absolutely fantastic. Deep chocolate with a light skein of corn oil backed by smoked wood. Brings out the very best of the non-extra-mature HH rye recipe.

Gary

Schlitz, the very definition of bland. Sometimes I gotta taste the bad stuff, so I can better appreciate the good stuff.

I'm doing a little vat-action this evening. My first try at vatting a couple nights ago with 50/50 Gentleman Jack and Basil Haydens was a disaster. Tonight, it's approx. 2/3 EC 18yo with approx. 1/3 EW 1783. Much better. I'll be doing this again soon.

W.L. Weller Centennial. No bottle that I've purchased has tasted as good as the first bottle of this that I bought and this is the 3rd. While I still rank this one high I'm beginning to think that the plastic cup that I used to drink my pours from the first one (it was all that was available at the rental house my friends and I drank it at) affected the taste... for the better. Subsequent bottles have tasted almost as sweet but with a wood and sometimes slight char taste in there as well. All of these bottles were Frankfort label and not labeled as BHC.

Yeah bourbon is cool.

OGD107? I have never heard of this.

I thought there was nothing between BIB and 114.

Oops. 114 it is.

Lot B - my first pour. Starts out smooth and sweet, then hot at the back of the mouth and throat. Reminiscent of MM, but the toluene isn't pronounced, and is in fact well-integrated into the other flavors. Had to resist the urge to add a touch of Saz Rye to "balance" it out.

Tonight started great with a pour of Rock Hill (Awesome). Next we moved on to a 3:1 Manhatten ETL it was very good! I thought I would finish the night off with cigar and some Blantons. The trip went south in a hurry! The smoke was sub par and the Blantons had sat for a year and to be honest it tasted like wet corn silk. It was a 2004 bottle but not as good as bottles past. The end of the evening was not so good. Well lets not end on a bad note, I just poured a glass of Noah's Mill 57.15% an this should have been the choice to start. All's well that ends well!

Cheers!

AC

I started with a side by side tasting of Four Roses Single Barrel with Four Roses Small Batch.

I then had a small pour of WT 101, which I greatly enjoyed. This is the first time that I have tasted WT 101 since last year. Last year I did not enjoy the WT 101 at all; I found it harsh, astringent, and tasting mainly of char.

I think that I might have had a bad bottle last year, perhaps due to a bad cork, as I find it hard to believe that my perception has changed this much in a year.

A superb WT 8 years old, bought for a friend in a duty free in Central America somewhere. Creamy, rich, very balanced and hardly showing its proof. I have never really been a fan of WT except in two iterations, which is Rare Breed (had one of those too but thought the 8 eclipsed it), and the odd WT 12 or KS that was particularly good. In general though, and despite laudable practice of distilling and entering low, I find WT can be a little coarse. Still, this current 8 is one of the best bourbons I've ever had. The experience reminds me of certain rock groups where I only like a couple of their songs,but when I like them, I really like them.

I do admire WT rye though, so while I am not a fan in general of WT I do like year in year out a few examples of what they put out and as I say this 8 year was outstanding.

Gary

Last night was a bourbon & coke "1" using a half gallon of Old forester 86 tax stamped, that I bought on e-bay, into which some SOB had dumped Old Fashioned Mix. Quite tasty in the coke with a couple of cherries though. One of the few times I got screwed on E-Bay.

Joe :usflag:

This week it is WL Weller 8 yr. Which is (again) one hell of a deal when it comes to a good bourbon for the money. Hmmmm, makes my mouth water just typing about it. I won't be home for another 2-3 hrs. I think I might try it neat, even though I will probably end up adding a few cubes and a splash of aqua.

Unfortunately, there won't be but a few pours tonight as I have to be back here to work at 09:30 in the morning. No rest for the wicked.:70358-devil:

Cheers

Lining up EW 1783 w/ the 10 yr age statement against the one w/out. Not surprisingly, the '10 Years Old' has more of a vanilla wood char aroma that tones down the corn. The 'No. 10 Brand' has a stronger aroma of corn and smells/tastes a bit younger. Still a helluva deal for 11 bucks! Just to be fair, I'll do this again in a blind test.

I was going to have the rest of the ETL tonight but with just a couple pours left, I added it to the couple of pours of RHF and then a splach of some 1999 WTRB. Looks like I could get about 5 or 6 pours out now. It seems much more complex than the RHF alone last night.

Thanks to Gillman and also the new post from Chuck! I would never have done this with out some insight from the 2 of you...so Cheers to the both of you. This mix aint bad.

Tony

I went to an Irish bar and comsumed some Guiness and finished with some Irish whiskey called The Knot. Very interesting stuff. I have since found out that it is Irish Whiskey liqueur at 100 proof. Now I know the reason for the butterscotch taste. It was surprisingly good.

I forgot to mention tasting a few nights ago from an opened bottle I have of Elijah Craig 12 years old. This particular one had a deep reddish colour and an emphatic yet rounded flavor of pure bourbon (almost brandy-like in effect) with no off-flavors whatever. It seems at once sweeter than the EW single barrel series and more complex, good as the stablemates are: the mingling evidently is skilfully done to achieve complexity and a definite profile. The rye small grains survive in the flavor but the corn oil apparent in some whiskeys released at earlier maturities is gone.

It is ideal for neat sipping and in fact I think some of its subtleties are lost when adding ice or water.

This whiskey is really a superb value, it offers everything you want but does not charge an arm and a leg.

Some years ago I found the bottlings somewhat variable but in the last couple of years all are really good, I think the house has put an extra focus on this brand to make it its flagship.

Much as I like VOB and 1792, for variety and quality at the highest level, I have to give it to Heaven Hill. To my mind they make the ultimate Nelson County bourbons.

Gary

Cold remedies are still the order of the day, so I put this together: 2 parts JDSB, one each of Harper 80 and vodka, two cherries, half a teaspoon brown sugar and both Angostura and Peychaud's bitters. An Old-Fashioned for the ages. I'd have felt better drinking this after my customary two hours on the bike Saturday afternoon but will delay the cycling until the "breath mints" feeling in the lungs is gone.

Gary

a really great Sazerac with PWV 15.

I'm going to go pick up the rest of the PWV 15's they had stocked. this stuff is sooo good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.