What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First, La Bicyclette, twice, using Hendrick's Gin, Vya red vermouth, and Fee's peach bitters along with the St.-Germain... now, a lovely pour of Hirsch 16 gold wax. If I pour anything else tonight, I'll probably go with Blanton's.

Lot B, Sazerac Rye, Basil Hayden's, and my newest acquisition, a bottle of ETL (thank you, forum). I surprised at how similar-tasting the last three are compared to the Van Winkle. Maybe I had too much Lot B to start with?

Lot B, Sazerac Rye, Basil Hayden's, and my newest acquisition, a bottle of ETL (thank you, forum). I surprised at how similar-tasting the last three are compared to the Van Winkle. Maybe I had too much Lot B to start with?

The Lot B is wheat recipe, the rest are rye.....could have something to do with it :grin:

Scott

I'm down to seven open bourbons (I recently Parafilm-ed about 30 bottles for future 'tasting' and sharing -- or 'special' occasions) -- Eagle Rare 17 2006, GTS '06, Jefferson Reserve 15yo, Old Forester BIB 1988, Old Rip Van Winkle 15yo, Pappy 15, Pappy 20 -- all are less than half full tonight. The OF BIB was opened to satisfy my current 'kick' -- bourbon and cola (though I prefer wheaters w/ cola, I can't justify the VWs). Ryes and Canadian/Scotch/Irish are next to disappear.

Anyway, tonight, I've enjoyed a pour of diet cola-OForBIB and diet cola-Jefferson 15. (By the way, I taste each 'neat' before pouring the cola, for whatever that's worth).

When I clear the sideboard, I will thereafter open only what I feel like drinking at the moment. I'll leave you to decide whether this is maturity or immaturity...:rolleyes:

UPDATE: Just poured some Alberta 25yo (Canadian), freshened with a dollop of Rittenhouse 21yo SB, and topped with diet ginger ale, to accompany the denouement of John Sandford's most-recent novel. (My guess is I'll be at the gym at 11 p.m., feeling guilty about the calories from the alcohol...)

THE DENOUEMENT: Worth it! Read Sandford...(Sandford is a former Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist. I have an affinity to journalists...)

P.P.S. -- Poured some of the last quarter-bottle of ORVW 15/107 I possess while visiting the chat room for the first time in a long time. Finally poured some diet Big K (Kroger) cola over it. Got a case of hiccups, besides. Guess I'm just not much of a whiskey maven anymore...

Half Pappy 15, half Rutledge FRSB, two cherries. Don't knock it til you try it. :)

Gary

Made it to Blue Smoke in NYC the other night. Had BBQ Brisket (lean), mashed potatoes, cornbread and coleslaw and 2 glasses of their special van Winkle bourbon-neat. Wish they sold it. Bartender also gave us a taste of Four Roses; will be getting that soon, saw in Malt Advocate that there's a barrel strength, too.

blsm3.jpg

After my experimental "Coeur de France" cocktail (see here for the recipe), I'm now kicking back with a generous pour of Baby Saz.

Blanton's Straight from the Barrel here. Damn fine pour, though availability is rotten...

and a wee nip of Willett #1...funny this has rotten availability too...:slappin:

The 8 year old version of Wild Turkey.

Picked it up at the Duty Free Shop before entering Windsor on Saturday.

You know the taste of the hard red candy around a candy apple that you get at the carnival? The nose has this.

The taste bowls me over, like burnt honey, if there is such a thing, then the spice kicks in. Several layers of taste.

The finish lasts forever.

This bottle is as good if not better than the last Kentucky Spirit I opened.

Dear Mr. Russell,....Please let us Americans have the 8 year old back!

Based upon reading the BOB discussions, I picked up Old Granddad BOB and Old Weller Antique 107, in order to compare rye verses wheat based bourbons. The spice rye notes are immediately apparent in the OGD. OW is a bit more backed cookies, and perhaps a bit "musty" as well.

My first impressions of the tastes..

OG- Spicy rye, medium oak, bitter citrus.

OW-Hard for me to describe, in truth. I still am learning to pull tastes apart. Give me a single malt, and I can dissect the heck out if it. This is very new for me.

I like them both, with a first impression giving the nod to OGD, which does not surprise me, as I like rye a good deal.

Tonight I sampled three different bourbons. Started off with VOB BIB. Switched to a special bottling of Weller Antique which was a single barrel 9 year. Then had some Binny's honey barrel Weller 12 (14 year). And now I'm having chocolate ice cream. Yummy. :yum:

Getting ready for first ever pour of OGD BIB, have the 114 as well. May try them both. Thinking about some Bernheim too, that is one tasty adult beverage.

Tim

More Binny's Blanton's. I had planned on saving 4 of the bottles for Gifts.

At this rate I had better go shopping.

Well I'm trying to finish my mixture tonight but it aint happenin! I mixed a couple pours of RHF, ETL and a good heavy pour of WTRB into my RHF bottle, makes for a really neat pour. After a good 4 oz. of that I went back for round 2 with the new A.H Hirsch 16 (Blue Wax). I'm finding the more I go to this bottle the more I like it, and I really !!! liked it the first time. I'm saying prayers tonight that I find another (3) of these.

God, bless all the master distillers and may they follow in the footsteps of those who went before them, for we are followers of you Lord, drinking the nectar of those you've put in charge of these wonderful establishments (Distilleries). Amen!

AC

Booker's, as I'm sitting here contemplating the changing seasons And the things that will need to be done, putting insulation around the upstairs window air-conditioner. Is it too soon for that? Will we have another spate of unusually warm weather? I need to cart the humidifier up from the basement, drain the fuel from the weed eater and chainsaws and cart them down to the basement. But for now I'll just have another glass.......:skep: sleep will come easy tonight......

Tonight I started with RR101, but then decided to open the bottle next to it, Thomas Handy Rye. Holy crap I wish I has done this earlier! This stuff is amazing!

I have now had a couple, and I think it's time for bed!:grin:

Scott

Tonight I started with RR101, but then decided to open the bottle next to it, Thomas Handy Rye. Holy crap I wish I has done this earlier! This stuff is amazing!

I have now had a couple, and I think it's time for bed!:grin:

Scott

Nothing like great rye Scott, and Handy is great rye. I think it blows the doors off Rittenhouse 21 for less than half the price.

Joe :usflag:

Nothing like great rye Scott, and Handy is great rye. I think it blows the doors off Rittenhouse 21 for less than half the price.

Joe :usflag:

I have been thinking about taking the plunge on a Rittenhouse 21 for some time Joe, but haven't been able to bring myself to do it. (That's 6 bottles of Weller 12!) I think if it were barrel proof, I may have done it.

Thanks for the insight/advice!

Scott

Tony, did you actually eat anything today, or have you decided to go on an all-liquid diet? :slappin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.