What bourbon did you purchase today? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll get things started. I celebrated autumn equinox with a purchase of some EWSB: 2 bottles of '94 from an eBay seller and 2 bottles of '95 from the shelves of a local liquor store.

I'll take that as a good sign of things to come.

I'm very jealous. I really like the EWSB, it's what got me into this great hobby I suppose you could call it. I just received a faxed receipt for 3 bottles of Four Roses 40th, 1 bottle Henry McKenna SB BIB, and 1 bottle OGD 114. All of which are new to me. A friend is picking them up today in Lexington. I really want to get ahold of two of the BTAC, the Stagg and the Weller, when availible.

Tim

I may go find some EWSB around here, a good friend is coming to town this weekend and he loves the bourbons.

Otherwise, I'm really holding off for the '07 BTAC collection.

Nothing fancy. In a little liquor store in Seymour, Indiana, today I bought a 750ml bottle of AAA 10 Star from the discount table. I knew it was not the 10 yo, but it was on sale.

It's an old label: it is the pale yellow of regular AA, and the "10 Star" is on a picture of a medal sticking up from the top of the label, not in the middle of the label. There's a "96" on the bottom of the bottle and the Surgeon General's warning on the neck, so the '96 sounds about right. Is this pre-Buffalo Trace?

Not purchased from the discount table was a 375ml (maybe 500ml; I didn't look) of JTS Brown BIB for $5. Label said distilled and bottled at DSP-KY 31. Using the knowledge I've gained from SB.com I know that means it was distilled no later than Nov of 1996, that it must be at least 4 yo, and that, with no age statement, it is probably no more than 4 yo.

I am learning.

I had a bottle of '88 AA 10 star that I liked quite a bit. BT has been the same since the early 1900's, give or take a few name changes. If that JTS brown is a 500 ml than I woulkd look twice at it for being an oldie. Maybe not too old but a keeper none the less, Bib is a sign of sorts. Just check!

Is the Fall 05 the 131.8? (I'm too lazy to do a search)

If it is, it's one of the nicest bourbons I have tasted!

Cheers

Scott

GTS 131.8 is the Spring 2005 released outside of KY.

For in KY of the same date it was 130.9.

Fall of 2005 it came in at 141.2

:grin: Thanks Oscar. I gotta try and get me a bottle of that Spring 05!!

Scott

I should put this in tasting/what did you drink thread, but since it's here...

...it's one of the nicest bourbons I have tasted!

The S '05 GTS was the bourbon that turned me into a convert. I was a scotch drinker and at a friend's encouragement tried Bookers a year earlier. I liked it considerably. In Spring of '05 I saw GTS on the shelves of the local ABC and thought I would try another high test bourbon.

The lights went on.

The clouds parted.

The angels sang.

Now I am a true believer.

As I described it the other day to some friends, Booker's took me to the door, but George walked me through.

However, I now have a new GTS love: the '04. Dave & Tina (angelshare) generously let me try their '03 (also outstanding) and '04, and I was amazed. The '04 had all the richness and intensity of GTS without the flame (I drank it neat). So it's now in my top 5, or maybe 3, favorite bourbons.

I found 2 bottles of '95 EWSB on a Maryland store shelf, and received two bottles of '94 from the postman (eBay purchase). Shared 'em with Greg (see above).

Am I nice, or what? :cool:

I found 2 bottles of '95 EWSB on a Maryland store shelf, and received two bottles of '94 from the postman (eBay purchase). Shared 'em with Greg (see above).

Am I nice, or what? :cool:

...or what. :slappin:

Speaking of cheap....I picked up a case of Private Cellar 90 to add to my rebarreling project. Was sad to see that the age stated was now 3 yrs, was 4 yrs last time I bought one.

The color was darker than I would have expected for a young bourbon. I was surprised that the flavor had none of the off notes that I usually find in some HH products. It was very corny and lively, not a top shelfer of course, but a decent bourbon for mixing or rebarreling.

Well I was lucky enough to find an '06 Stagg. I didn't get any when it was released and so I was glad to find a single one on a shelf for $49.99.

2 Beam 200th anniversary for $18.99 apiece.:grin:

An OGD 8yr 86-proof from National Distillers for $13.99.:grin:

Laphroaig C.S. (not so cheap:bigeyes:).

Also, given Chuck's feeling that perhaps WT101 has gotten a bit younger over time (I still like it, but it makes sense with the shortage of aged products and the popularity of their other bottlings), I snagged an Old No. 8 Brand bottling from 1998. This is not too terribly long after the 8-yr age statement switched over, and I'm thinking this may be older than recent WT101. I'll report back.

I snagged an Old No. 8 Brand bottling from 1998. This is not too terribly long after the 8-yr age statement switched over, and I'm thinking this may be older than recent WT101. I'll report back.

Let me know what you think of the Old No. 8 Brand. I picked up two 1.75L about a month ago and have not opened one up yet.

I picked up a couple Old Charter 12's today. If I can believe the State web site they are the last ones available here in WA?

I find the nose light, maybe licorice. The taste brings Rye and it's dry. I get the sensation of carbonation that for some reason I also get from Rock Hill Farms? Nice clean finish of rye and pepper (but not to hot).

Found a local store that was going out of business and offering discounts. There was not much on the shelves and I was about ready to go when the clerk told me that the Old Charter was 50% off. I picked up a 1.75 of Frankfort 12 year and a 750ml of the 10 year for a whopping $27.00. I left 6 bottles of the 8 year, I think they were going for $6.00 each.

while going to longs drug.. for milk.. i seen that the evan williams black 1.75 was on sale for $11.99...

couldnt pass that up...

I bought 2 bottles of Wild Turkey American Heritage, 1 Russell's Reserve Rye, and 2 Parker's Heritage Collection.

To go along with 2 bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel Party Source bottleling which I bought a couple of weeks ago.

Via telephone and e-mail from The Party Source in Bellevue, KY.

Now I am just waiting for the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection to be released and I will hit the road and pick 'em all up.

Nice buy Oscar, I spoke to a friend in Lexington this morning and BT is having a dinner for the BTAC's on the 11th I hear. They should hit the stores soon after.

Nice Work.

I picked up an Old Charter 10 this week... I've never ever seen an OC 12 in Chicagoland.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.