What bourbon did you purchase today? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Weller Antique 107, 9 yr old, distilled July 98, DSP-KY-1, bottled September 2007. The barrel was Harlan's choice of the six we sampled.

I picked up one of those today, too.

So if this special Weller is from Berheim, is the regular stuff, too? From BT? A blend (I mean "marriage") of both sources?

First time in awhile for me buying bourbon here's what I picked up:

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (1st time I've EVER seen this)

Rittenhouse Rye BIB 100 ($19)

Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107...last bottle on the shelf, saw the 10/90 today too

Pappy Van Winkle 15!

Van Winkle Lot B

Lots of Van Winkles, couple of notes though...

I was told Bevmo lists everything they have in-store online. This is false. The Pappy 15, Van Rye, and Lot B were NOT listed on their website. Yet there they were begging me to be purchased in the store. I feel the same will happen with the BTAC...it won't be listed online and each store is getting a very small allotment.

Oh, and I haven't seen WT RRR or American Spirit yet either :(

While waiting for word from the store where I've reserved my bottles from the 2007 BTAC, I stopped by a smaller, local store. To my surprise they had 3 bottles of the 2007 GTS HazMAt on the shelf. Snagged one....

I drove up looking for some Saz 18 for a trade...couldn't find it. Same store still has '06 STagg on the shelf. I asked the guy, "So, when you getting in the 2007 BTAC?"

Clerk, "uh....i dunno."

Me, "Well I know it's hitting the shelves around the country about now...Would there be anyway for you to...perhaps...check?"

Clerk, "uh....well the liquor guy isn't here, he's know."

Man...and this is a premium store as well. This waiting is driving me NUTS!

Got another call from my favorite spirits merchant asking if I wanted another each of the 2007 BTAC bourbons (WLW, GTS, & ER)! It really pays to get to know and patronize one store.

So it's back in the car with credit card in hand.

When I get to the store he says, "Somebody just called and canceled his order for a WLW, so I put in in your box... is that OK?" (Boy he really knows how to push my button.)

So its been a very rewarding but expensive 24 hours --- three GTS, three WLW, and two ER... maybe I'll make it up on the Breeder's Cup this afternoon.

Well the late morning started off great OscarV showed up around 11:00 and we did a little tasting. Blue wax Hirsch, 05 spring KY only Stagg, 40th FR BP 52.3%, Wathen's and a 1996 WTKS. Winner FRBP 40th and the Stagg. I ran out after Oscar left to grab some 06 Weller still on the shelf only to find out both cases were 05 so I passed, but I did grab the Fall 05 Stagg and 2 06 Staggs on the shelf. What a great day.

Tony

Well the late morning started off great OscarV showed up around 11:00 and we did a little tasting. Blue wax Hirsch, 05 spring KY only Stagg, 40th FR BP 52.3%, Wathen's and a 1996 WTKS. Winner FRBP 40th and the Stagg. I ran out after Oscar left to grab some 06 Weller still on the shelf only to find out both cases were 05 so I passed, but I did grab the Fall 05 Stagg and 2 06 Staggs on the shelf. What a great day.

Tony

I made it home in one peice, I always forget how the good folks of the 313 drive.

It was like a bumper to bumper NASCAR race, but no one was trading paint.

Yes, we had some bourbon.

I had my first Hirsch today courtesy of Tony, now I see what all the fuss is about.

We both agreed that the FR Rutledge 40th is in both of our's all-time top three bourbons.

I haven't had any Stagg since last January but it all came back to me at first sniff.

Hey!! All you other MI guys, you gotta check out Tony's bunker, it is the bourbon Fort Knox of the North.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I picked up a WT 12yo split label and a Evan Williams Master Distiller's Select in the Earthstone Jug that Tony scored for me.

Thanks again Tony.

Any time Oscar! We'll find a way to get the rest of the Michiganders out for a Bourbon night.

I have to say everyone I've meet from the board has been a class act. Kudos to the great people who work so hard to keep SB.com up and running and to the great people who make up the community here.

Tony

Picked up a Lot B and a Henry McKenna Single Barrel today. I have a few Lot B's bunkered, but it's always nice to have on hand because they sure go fast once the cork pops off. I have never had the Henry McKenna SB and look forward to giving that a try.

:toast:

Old Weller 107 and Ridgemont Reserve 1792.

haven't tried the Ridgemont yet. i hope it doesn't disappoint.

the Antique Weller, so far, is a pleasure pour, for sure! but made a mistake in splashing a slight bit of water in after i had a small neat glass. the water did open up the nose, but it muted any palate complexity i was hoping to have.

much better neat. my inexperienced tongue catches the obvious woodiness

i must admit, for 107 proof, i had to stick my nose deep into the glass. there was no pungency. is this possible?

the warmth and subtle burn were present on the tongue. but this is smooth. the afterburn is good. and more memorable than the basil hayden's i had the other night...

one question: the cap was on fully, but it was not on TIGHT...i mean, it was easy to turn it. any concern i should have?

Old Charter 12yo...finally found the new label, just as the stuff is on its way out...

I wasn't aware that the new labeling was applied to the 12yo, as well as the two younger bottlings. Is the new 12yo label yellow, too, or did it retain a black label like "The Classic", albeit redesigned?

Two years ago, I called and pre-ordered my BTAC purchases and arrived in KY to find the shelves overflowing with bottles. Last year, I didn't pre-order and once again arrived in KY to find shelves overflowing with bottles. I think I had to go to two stores to get everything I wanted.

Today, I headed to KY for opening weekend of BTAC availability with a bit of a "cocky" attitude....I was sure I'd find the shelves overflowing and I'd stop at one or two stores and be done...........then came the call from Cliff asking me if I pre-ordered because they were sold out:bigeyes::bigeyes: Then, I get a call from Charles telling me he's gone out on his lunch break to pick up his....and the stores aren't even giving him what he pre-ordered!!! :smiley_acbt::smiley_acbt:PANIC!!!

I've never written a long post....but here it comes! Cliff, being the saint that he is, calls a store and uses his contacts to hold three cases for me.....they're out of the other two, so I have to find them on my own. I'm not kidding you guys, the Stagg is plentiful, the ER17 is hit and miss, and the WLW, Saz 18 and Handy are NONEXISTANT! And it's opening weekend! I drove around for 4 hours! One bottle here....one bottle there! I found ONE store that seems to have the Jackpot of WT American Spirits.....all the rest....nonexistant!

Next year....I'm not being "cocky"....I need to get to know a liquor store manager who will hold an order!!

Dawn

one question: the cap was on fully, but it was not on TIGHT...i mean, it was easy to turn it. any concern i should have?

I just purchased a bottle of Weller Atinque and the same thing happened to me. But my feeling was that the cap was on well enough just not tight. Also, the seal for the cap was intact.

I just purchased a bottle of Weller Atinque and the same thing happened to me. But my feeling was that the cap was on well enough just not tight. Also, the seal for the cap was intact.

I bought a bottle of Weller Special Reserve last week. The clerk put the bottle in a paper bag and laid it in its side. I went to pick it up and it had already leaked. The cap was loose. I was given another bottle and the cap was tight.

hmm. very odd. after having that experience and then opening that Ridgemont Reserve with it's "spalted" cork, i was worried i got two bad apples in one day.

and yeah, my seal was intact...still, leaking/evaporating are concerns!

hmm. very odd. after having that experience and then opening that Ridgemont Reserve with it's "spalted" cork, i was worried i got two bad apples in one day.

and yeah, my seal was intact...still, leaking/evaporating are concerns!

I hear what you're saying regarding evaportion. I noted that my bottle's fill level was normal.

Yesterday I picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel when I was in the city. I got to try a bit of it last night, from another bottle, and I can't wait to open it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.