What bourbon did you purchase today? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Didn't purchase them today, but they just showed up.

Maker's Mark Slam/Overdip/Whoops/whatever you wanna call them (I just had to have one), Makers Japan Black Wax, and a Maker's Mark 101 gold wax.

I will drink the last 2.

Scott

Is there a story with those Maker's Mark bottles with too much wax? I saw one a Liquor Barn last week.

My local happened to have Four Roses Single Barrel on the shelf. So.. picked up a couple. Very excited as this is the first time I have ever seen Four Roses of any kind in my neck of the woods. Will post later in the "What are you drinking today" thread!

I'm really quite bummed. Went out to buy one of the new WT American Spirits....that people in TN, KY and even MI seem to have ready access to.....and none in Indiana??? What's up with that?? Went to two liquor stores.....and they've never even heard of it!

Dawn

Dawn,

I haven't seen WT American Spirit or RRR out in San Diego yet either. I plan on doing a little hunting this weekend so we'll see what I turn up. I became active in this board a year late and ol Flashpuppy seems to have cleaned out a lot of joints!

e

Did some searching out here at my historicaly relaible stops. Nothing...zero. Did get some folks on the phone though, they wanted to taste it also.

Just a matter of time.

Is there a story with those Maker's Mark bottles with too much wax? I saw one a Liquor Barn last week.

They just overdip them every now and then (I'm sure it's done on purpose) and then they become sought after by people with a wax fetish.

Scott

OK, that's what I thought. I'm sure most of us have seen those women dipping the bottles, and I can't imagine them making that kind of mistake. Even if they did, it would be immediately obvious and they could set that bottle aside.

I've recently seen some Christmas bottles left over from last year (I assume Christmas, since they have green wax in addition to the red).

I was told that it was every hundred cases or so, they dip one heavy. There have also been alot of bottles colored for NFL and NCAA teams.

The over dipped bottles are called "Grand Slam".

OK, that's what I thought. I'm sure most of us have seen those women dipping the bottles, and I can't imagine them making that kind of mistake. Even if they did, it would be immediately obvious and they could set that bottle aside.

I've recently seen some Christmas bottles left over from last year (I assume Christmas, since they have green wax in addition to the red).

Greetings from the Netherlands! The other day I picked up com WT101:8yr. So far I'll say I found it pretty surprising in contrast with what I remember of the regular WT:101 they sell back home, it's alot sweeter. I'm going to see about taking a bottle or two of this back home.

I must have visted 15 stores yesterday. I found one bottle of Lot B, but then again, I knew where it was b/c I had left it on the shelf.

Otherwise...nothing interesting.

Rittenhouse BIB because it's impossible to read SB.com and not find reference to it.

I'm planning a little tasting with my brothers when I visit for thanksgiving. I'm saving my pennies for the BTAC, so I bought 200ml bottles of Old Fitz, OGD, and VOB, all BIB. I plan to snag a lot more as I run across them. It's an expensive per-ounce way to buy inexpensive bourbon, but, at $4-$5 a bottle, I can have a greater variety this way.

Just returned from my Kentucky weekend and I must say. Going back will not be this year if my wallet has anything to say about it!!

(3) Parker Heritage $73.99

(9) Four Roses 40th Anniversary (6) $54.99 and (3) $59.99

(2) Old Charter 12 yr. $15.99

(3) Old Weller 12 yr. 1.75L $38.99

(2) Rittenhouse Rye 21 yr. $130.00

(2) Van Winkle 13 yr. old Rye $37.99

(1) Pappy Van 15 yr $45.99

(3) Old Weller Antiques 107 proof $15.50

(1) Old Barton Bottled in Bond 1.75L $17.99

(2) WT American Spirit 15 yr. old (NEW) $79.99

OUCH!!!

I may need some government subsidization for the BTAC - 2007!! Does anybody know if there's a form I can fill out??

I know now what it feels like to have an addiction!

(3) Parker Heritage $73.99

(9) Four Roses 40th Anniversary (6) $54.99 and (3) $59.99

(2) Old Charter 12 yr. $15.99

(3) Old Weller 12 yr. 1.75L $38.99

(2) Rittenhouse Rye 21 yr. $130.00

(2) Van Winkle 13 yr. old Rye $37.99

(1) Pappy Van 15 yr $45.99

(3) Old Weller Antiques 107 proof $15.50

(1) Old Barton Bottled in Bond 1.75L $17.99

(2) WT American Spirit 15 yr. old (NEW) $79.99

OUCH!!!

Holy Toledo Batman!

I wish I lived near KY!!

Scott

Hey Tony,

When's the party? Or should I say the whiskey tasting. Did you use your titanium visa card? Guaranteed not to melt down during whiskey expiditions!

Thomas

Nine bottles of Four Roses???!!! What will you do if you open the first one and decide you don't like it?

The latest acquisitions were one PVW 20 ($85.99) and one Rock Hill Farms($41.99). I've had PVW 20 but this is my first personal bottle. The RHF I've yet to try.. But can't wait.

A family friend muled over a bottle of Elihja Craig 18 from SoCal. At $44 US one of the most amaizing bargoons I've ever heard of!!!

Ridgemont Reserve 1792 and ORVW 10yr old 90 proof...There was a bottle of 15 yr old Pappy for $40 but I didnt have enough money with me...

Greetings from the Netherlands! The other day I picked up com WT101:8yr. So far I'll say I found it pretty surprising in contrast with what I remember of the regular WT:101 they sell back home, it's alot sweeter. I'm going to see about taking a bottle or two of this back home.

I got a couple of these Wild Turkey 101 8yo age statement, and yes it is very sweet.

Almost good enough to be bottled as Kentucky Spirit.

I picked them up at the duty free before entering Canada a couple of weeks ago.

I have seen a couple of references on the board to U.S. duty free stores just outside Canada.

In the past, I haven't considered shopping there since being in Kentucky reasonably often I can get a very large selection. In fact, I have never been in such a store despite some 35 years of travelling to the U.S.

However, I have noted that some bourbons available there are the "international" brands not available in the domestic U.S., e.g., WT 8 (which I like a lot).

What else is available there that cannot be found in domestic U.S.? I am thinking that next time when driving, I might stop there to buy at least one bottle. Also, where are they located exactly in the Detroit area? Thanks.

Gary

I purchased my cheap liter of Talisker at the store on the Canada side of the bridge.

These duty free shops are adjacent to the border crossing.

Keep in mind that you are only entitled to shop duty free if you spend a minimum of 48 hours in Canada. I'm not saying I (and probably others) have always spent 48 hours in Canada, but those are the rules. You should know this if only so you don't tell the border agent "oh, I just ran across the border to visit the duty free shop!"

However, I have noted that some bourbons available there are the "international" brands not available in the domestic U.S., e.g., WT 8 (which I like a lot).

What else is available there that cannot be found in domestic U.S.? I am thinking that next time when driving, I might stop there to buy at least one bottle. Also, where are they located exactly in the Detroit area? Thanks.

Gary

I also got a bottle of Wild Turkey Sherry Signature, 10yo Turkey finished in Oloroso Sherry casks, one liter $37.00.

Not available in the USA.

WT101 8yo one liter $19.00.

When in Detroit look for the Ambassador Bridge to Cananda, (easy to find) and stop at the Duty Free before you leave the USA.

Look up the thread I started "Windsor Road-Trip".

Other stuff at the duty free shop is just the standard Beams, Woodford and Maker's.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.