What bourbon did you purchase today? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I picked up a bottle of Makers along with some inexpensive pre-made margarita drink mix. We are planing a weenier roast/ karaoke party. The pre-made stuff wasn't my Idea:rolleyes: But, margaritas aren't my thing anyway. Also, sometime late this morning two bottles of Baby Saz that I acquired in a trade arrived at the house.

Blanton's. Inside the elegant green & gold box is a rather plain brown cloth sack containing a glass bottle soiled with fingerprints of solidified grease, hand-numbered "Registered Bottle No. 162, dumped 5-7-07 from Barrel No. 283, Stored in Warehouse N (could be H or even W) on Rick No. 32 at 93 proof".

It was supposed to be a gift, but hey, I guess now I have to drink it myself. Because removing this gunk is neither quick nor easy.

I'm sure they would mail you a new bag if you called or wrote. They just handed me one (and a stopper) during my first tour.

Prompted by a review posted by Mike Veach on another site I stopped by Old Town in Louisville to pick up a bottle of Old Weller Antique.

Even though it says it is 7yo on the regular label, the additional label says it was barreled on 7/21/1998 and bottled on 8/21/2007. This is a special unfiltered single barrel. They have maybe a half dozen bottles yet. $20. It amazes me how cheap even special bottles of bourbon like this are.

Mike, if you read this, how do I tell if this is "your" barrel or the other one?

Even though it says it is 7yo on the regular label, the additional label says it was barreled on 7/21/1998 and bottled on 8/21/2007. This is a special unfiltered single barrel. They have maybe a half dozen bottles yet. $20. It amazes me how cheap even special bottles of bourbon like this are.

Mike, if you read this, how do I tell if this is "your" barrel or the other one?

I know what barrel this is: It's my barrel!

Well I call it mine, I was at the selection and it was my favorite of the options, but wasn't the favorite of the crowd, but when they decided to do more than one this one was picked as well.

I hope you like it as much as I do.

Bought two bottles of the new WT AS (one for me and the other for my neighbor's birthday). Most impressive packaging! The new RR Rye also has appeared on the shelves, but I decided to pass for now.

Also picked up the BOTM, VOB BIB. It was hard to find much of the bonded version left on the shelf.

Bought two bottles of the new WT AS (one for me and the other for my neighbor's birthday).

Gee, I wish you were my neighbor. :bigeyes:

Joe :usflag:

Reeled in a couple of little fishies that had been dangling on the line.....2 Old Forester 1.75's 100proof and 4 Old Charter 13yrs (since they aren't bottling anymore).

Bought two bottles of the new WT AS (one for me and the other for my neighbor's birthday). Most impressive packaging!

I have read this comes in a wooden box....could someone please post a pic?

Scott

P.S. Has anyone seen this at Binny's yet? I don't want to email Brett again, I know he's a busy man.

Today was a fluke! I needed to run to work to pick up my cell phone charger I had left yesterday. I planned on doing some Turkey hunting as it's on the other side of town from me. What happened next is most unbelievable!

I went don the road I've been down before and noticed a pet supply sjop off the corner south of where I was. I made the left and picked up some dog food requested by my mom who's in today (2 Jack Russel Terriors for you dog lovers) any way I continued South and see this little Liquor store and never really noticed it before. I been up and down that road a hundred times. Top shelf dusty as they could be (3) Blue Wax 16yr old A.H. Hirsch at internet prices, I almost fell over. (2) VSOF 12 yr. $11.97 per and (2) OWC 10 yr. $17.99. Needless to say it was an expensive trip for my phone charger. I brought them all home. I'll post pics in the Collectibles tonight.

AC

Great finds! Open one of those blue waxers and post some notes with your photos, great!

Gary

These were cheaper than the Gold wax I found but would like to get Jeff Renner and his efforts for a SE Michigan chapter together and do a VBT of all three (Blue, Gold, Foil) I think in Kentucky y'all call this a tri-fecta? I will open one tonight and post, thanks Gary.

That's great, you will love it by the way, it may be the best bourbon I ever had.

Gary

Blue wax?!? On the shelf?? Two??? Holy hard-to-find-bourbon, batman, that's amazing. One of my favorite bourbons, ever.

Anyway, picked up two Old Forester BDay Bourbons, 2007. Can't wait to try 'em.

Not Bourbon but Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye at 13 years 95.6 proof. This is my first bottle of this whiskey and I must say it is a very good pour. Very smooth and soft at the begining. Then it explodes with spicey Rye taste and enough burn to know that I am drinking whiskey. I can certainly taste the extra time in the barrel wood and some char with this one then it settles in for a nice finish. Then just for fun I finished off a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB next. It stood up to the challenge quite well especaily at 10.99 a bottle. The Van Winkle sold at 39.00. Good thing my cabinet has room for more than 1 rye it. I'll have to pick up a Saz 18 just to balance out the shelf. And I ran out of WT rye. And then there is the new WT RR to get. It's a good time to be a Rye whiskey fan. So long as there is room I'll keep adding.

Also, Baby Saz is well worth seeking out. My recently-purchased bottle from Binny's is quickly developing a bad case of evaporation... into my gullet! :drink:

Since you're in Wisconsin, you might be able to find Fleischmann's Rye as well - even though it's a young 80-proofer, and I've only seen it in 1.75 liter handles, it's a nice pour to have on hand.

Even though Windex finally worked at removing the scum (glue I think, not grease) off the Blanton's bottle, I returned it to the store yesterday, trading it for ETL and WTRR + $3.50.

Why, if I was able to clean off the bottle, did I still return it? Because I thought it would have been weird to present a delicious American whiskey packaged in a pretty box and bottled in a delightful bottle wrapped in a very plain brown Blanton's bag labelled "CHINA".

Here's a list of my purchases over the last couple of days. I'm especially happy to have acquired not 1 but 4 Four Roses 40th Anniv.

Since I get a cut of Greg's haul, me so very happy!

In addition, my girlfriend just got back from Toronto. I asked her to keep an eye open for some Forty Creek, but no luck.

However, she did pick up a bottle of Wiser's Very Old 18yr. It looks rather interesting...

Woooohoooo! I thought about you guys today! My wife was running into a local grocery and I decided to run in to the liquor store next door, just to see what they had (I'd never been in there before).

Sale item = Jefferson's Reserve 750ml for $29.99

I've paid over $40, in KY no less. I guess I've found my own local gold mine here in P'cola! If my wife wasn't with me I'd have probably bought all 4 bottles they had ;)

Evan Williams Black Label...with the wife and myself just about polished off.

Woodwood Preserve for later sippin'

The new Pappy Van Winkle 15yo has hit the shelves here in Houston, and I bought one to see how it stacks up to the other previous bottlings that I have. Haven't tried it yet, probably will this weekend.

I also found a lone bottle of ORVW 10/107 (date stamp of 06 on the bottom). I'm sampling it now for the other 'Weller 107 vs ORVW 10/107' thread. Mighty fine stuff!

I also found a lone bottle of Old Fitzgerald BIB (date stamp of 02 on the bottom). I have some from '01 that is simply outstanding, and some others from '05 and '06 that I was rather dissapointed in, so I picked up this '02 for comparison in hopes that it's good like the '01. It was only $12.49, so no great loss if it's not as good. All these that I've mentioned (01, 02, 05, & 06) were distilled at DSP-KY-1 and bottled at DSP-KY-31. If you ever find one of these from '01, try it!

Originally posted by mgilbertva

I asked her to keep an eye open for some Forty Creek, but no luck.

Hey Mark. If you ever, by any chance, happen to find yourself in Ft. Smith, Arkansas, there is a place downtown (Garrison Ave.) called 'The Liquor Store.' I picked up a 750ml bottle last month for only 15 bucks! It sells in the DFW area for $25, if it's on sale.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.