What Are You Drinking Tonight, Winter'07/'08

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A rather excellent night of drinking to start a 3 day weekend.

Started with a new bottle of Miner Pinot Noir Rosella's Vineyard 777; the 777 denote a specific clone of pinot noir grape. This wine started off kind of light, but got better after aeration. The next bottle will definitely be decanted for at least an hour.

Now I'm enjoying a nice glass of Pappy 20, my favorite. Maybe I'll check out the gazebo, although it's kind of late.

Cheers!

Weller Centennial 13 yr to start and probably move on to Antique 107 and then a little Forester B-Day Bourbon

Cheers! :toast:

Waiting for my dinner party to arrive at Del Rio in Highwood (a classic Italian restaurant that's been around over 40 years) I had a Maker's Mark. With appetizers, it was a Lagavulin, probably my favorite single malt--just the right amount of peatiness for an Islay whiskey. An amarone wine with dinner, veal parmigiani. Overall, a great meal.

WTRR 101, from a friend in Texas. So much more to offer than the current 90 proofer.

Note to the kind folks at WT,

This was a bad decision.

Tonight I am sipping on some WT Rare Breed. Don't get around to this selection very often, but it is better than I remember.

Last night I had a tasting of Weller Antique 107, Rare Breed, and finished with OGD 114. Tonight its Pappy 20 and 15.:grin:

So far some Very Special Old Fitz, ORVW 10/107, and maybe some PVW 15 for dessert.

Had a pour of Lagavulin 16 earlier tonight. Damn, it's a seriously deep and mysterious spirit. Now finishing a small pour of Booker's, mighty good. I'll be heading back to the house in a few minutes and may pour another small Lagavulin for a nightcap. A good night for whisk(e)y indeed.

Cheers!

Last night I had a tasting of Weller Antique 107, Rare Breed, and finished with OGD 114. Tonight its Pappy 20 and 15.:grin:

That sounds like a good night to me, or two.

Last night was a sampling of new beers (part of my job to try new things :grin:) . I decided to break up the tasting with some bourbons (to reset the palate with something I knew. Completely professional :drink:). Started with a bottle of Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager, then a finger of JW Dant Bib 100 (not really loving that one), then a bomber of Rock Art's Stump Jumper ("Gnarly Stout") with two fingers of PVW20, and finished the night with Flying Dog's Road Dog (Scottish) Porter.

After the trek home to Cleveland from Chicago, I decided to start with the Baby Saz with one small ice cube (my normal treatment for a first pour). My wife asked if I was going to start with the Pappy 15 and I said no (she really liked the nose on it when I sampled it yesterday). I think I may have to learn to share when I open that one.

Had a pour of Lagavulin 16 earlier tonight. Damn, it's a seriously deep and mysterious spirit. Now finishing a small pour of Booker's, mighty good. I'll be heading back to the house in a few minutes and may pour another small Lagavulin for a nightcap. A good night for whisk(e)y indeed.

Cheers!

Interesting description of Lagavulin. I think it's because the peat is such a different taste than what you expect from scotch (especially the first time you try it); it almost seems like the Islay single malts should be in their own category. Another interesting scotch is Talisker (Isle of Skye)--smoky, not quite peaty (although similar).

I was thinking of a Bernheim for tonight, but I decided to try one of my new Spiegelau whiskey rocks glasses (Vino Grande series, non-lead crystal) and thought I better go with regular old bourbon. Went with 4R small batch.

WT 101 Rye. I do enjoy this rye however I really wish the liquor store wasn't out of Rittenhouse BIB!

I had some Booker's, followed by EC18, then more bookers.

The wood really shows in the EC, especially after drinking something that I think would only improve with more age itself.

Give me EC18 any day!!

Scott

It's St. Patty's day. I'll be drinking Redbreast 12yo.

OGD BIB - this is still one of my favorite everyday whiskeys

Some Redbreast later

Found a last pour of OG BIB in the way back of the bar. Very nice indeed. I know that this bottle cost $11.99.

After starting with the Saz Jr last night, I figured I would go to a wheater...so I decided on the wheater....WLW

After the spicy rye last night, the sweetness really comes through after some banana and clove on the nose.

I think I'm really going to enjoy this next week or so...after burning out at work, I can look forward to some "tough" decisions on which bottle to open next. :cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.