What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08

ggilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Weller Centennial 13 yr and then some Buffalo Trace for the first time.

Well, the Handcock's now dead and teh Vintage 17 will die as well :)

A Weller Centennial followed by Old Rip 10yo 107.

What did I do to deserve this?

1792. Thought I'd change up a bit. Joe

Started the evening with an '89 I.W. Harper then moved on to some Saz 18.

Having a second pour of Buffalo trace.... damn great rye recipe here for $27!

Having a second pour of Buffalo trace.... damn great rye recipe here for $27!
$27?...There's a place here in Houston that has it for $14.99.

Startign now with the Vintage 17... when the day starts at 5, the end is 2:00... aurgh

$27?...There's a place here in Houston that has it for $14.99.

Wow! and I thought I was getting a great deal. I like it a lot at $27 but I'd love it at $14!

Killed my bottle of Lot B, 1 bunkered and now working on my Centennial 13 yr... both great pours but I give the edge to the Centennial here.

Started with some Centennial (Julio's) and well after Bardstown...it just aint the same! I think all the oldies but REALLY GOODIES messed up my mouth!

Went to the VWFRR and that's what I needed to kick the taste buds into play! Now I'm on some 2003 Fall OFBB, very nice the nose is soft with candied orange peel!

Cheers!

Drinking some Weller Centennial, in rememberance of 2d Lt Alec Littler, who died while training to be a fighter pilot. He graduated from my cadet detachment just a year ago, and he will be remembered by all of us.

Cheers! and here's to "2d Lt Alec Littler"! a fallen soldier not to be forgotten!

AAA 10 year this evening. Going light...only one pour.

Willett Family Reserve 7 yo bourbon, 121.4 pf. Stupendous.

1/3 of a bottle of WL Weller 90 proof. I have forgotten just how good this stuff is..

Rock Hill Farms

AAA 10yo

EWSB 1995

All enjoyable!

Scott

last night I shared a flight with a friend, allowing him to smell each bottle and pick the order:

* FR SmB (his favorite, my least fave by a small amount)

* ETL SB (he felt was spicy, I like but don't rave over)

* WLWeller 12 (he felt had the most bite, I like it the best)

interesting, I thought.

1/3 of a bottle of WL Weller 90 proof. I have forgotten just how good this stuff is..

Is that the 12 yo? How does it compare to the Centennial?

It was the standard 7 yr. And still very good. It is about half the price and half as good... which leads me to the Centennial is a better buy. Do double my pleasure for only double the price is uncommon... it is more of an exponential curve rather than linier

A vatting (but not really) of Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10 years old Bonded and 1970's Heaven Hill 86 proof. They seem about the same age despite the earlier whiskey not being age-labelled. I dropped the McKenna to about 86 proof to match the older one. They are combined about 3:2 McKenna watered to the 70's HH.

Both are similar in taste to begin with, with the oily quality that characterises most HH bourbons up to about 12 years old (the EW Single Barrels are an exception).

This vatting gives off a rich, rye- and barrel-accented nose. The taste is deep, sweetish, all-bourbon. The finish is silky and long-lasting.

This is for the true fans of bourbon.

Gary

It was the standard 7 yr. And still very good. It is about half the price and half as good... which leads me to the Centennial is a better buy. Do double my pleasure for only double the price is uncommon... it is more of an exponential curve rather than linier

So it was the Weller SR. I like that bottle a lot for $13. I find a good 1-2 punch is start with Weller SR, then Antique 107, and then hit the Centennial for contrast effect. Makes the Centennial seem like a bottle twice as expensive (and it usually smokes most bottles that are anyway!)

I usually don't drink liquor when I go out to a bar for fear that I'll be more scrutinized if I should happen to get pulled over on the way home but today I couldn't resist. On the top shelf behind the bar my friend and I went to was a BHC bottle of VSOF, something I've always wanted to find so I substituted that for my first beer. It was an excellent pour, worth every penny of the $9.50 I paid. I would have gone for another but it looked like there was 1/2 a pour at best in the bottle so I passed. I don't know much of the provenance of this stuff but it definitely tasted a lot like what I remember of VVOF, a little better in fact. I was really surprised when my friend asked for a sniff and he exclaimed that it really had bite, I could find none. (He is a whiskey drinker but he's more into whisky.) Here's to crossing paths with one of these bottles in a liquor store someday!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!