What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08

ggilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

last night was a pour of Elmer T Lee. This was my second pour of this bourbon. The first was a couple weeks ago. My first impression then was that it was very sweet....very sweet. Almost liqueur sweet. This is not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation. But I could see this bottle going slowly, because it would be a rare craving for such sweetness.

Last night I decided to revisit. It wasn't nearly as sweet as my first impression. Still on the sweeter side to be sure, but not like candy. For the record I added a touch of water both times.

So I guess the moral of the story is not to rely solely on first impressions. There may always be a confounder in something you ate earlier, or whatever. On second look, I enjoyed ETL very much and it will be in a regular rotation as long as it lasts.

Evan Williams 15 yo.

I wish we could get this here in the USA.

A fellow SB.com'er sent me a 50ml sample, Kevin AKA StraightBoston, and WOW!!!

Heaven Hill sure does know how to take care of the Japanese.

It taste similar to Sazerac 18yo rye. The same kind of peppermint.

Come on Max let us have some.

Being very good to myself. WLW '06, and this bottle is reaching it's eminent demise. Only 2-3 pours left. Savoring each and every sip...as it should be.

WTRB... some for the bourbon balls I'm making for Saturday's Derby Party (using Kim's recipe) and some for the cook!

finishing up my first bottle of Pappy 15/107 with a friend, and hoping my Binny's order arrives tomorrow.

I'm finishing off a WT 14 yo made for the japanese market. I tried to get Jon and Dawn to finish it at the Sampler.....they left me with one nice pour. This sits right between Tribute and American Spirit. Very balanced.

Randy

...I tried to get Jon and Dawn to finish it at the Sampler.....they left me with one nice pour...

Similar -- though in a different vein -- enjoyment here: I'm pouring some ginger ale-and-* and cola-and-* mixed drinks using, among others, some 1985 I.W. Harper and 1988 Louisville Old Charter 10yo left over from the Gazebo table. Frankly (and this really is no surprise considering the remarkable spread available), neither looks like anyone even tried them!

I'm am both not offended that they were 'overlooked', and quite happy to stick them on the bar for personal use.

Aside: this is a good illustration for those of you who've never gotten to a Gazebo event: whiskey that would stand out on a personal bar gets lost on an SB.com Gazebo table! Be there!

I have a 200ml of 1979 J.W. Dant BIB. I've found a number of bottles from the same era (DSP 113) and decided to crack it open. I instantly liked it. In fact, it tasted like a higher proof AAA. Although this is younger than the AAA 10 year, it definitely had the same qualities. I then moved on to an '82 Old Fitz Prime 90.

Both really good pours tonight.

Slumming it tonight. First Weller SR, then Antique 107, and now some Bakers... I appreciate this pour so much more after acclimating my taste buds to the bottom shelf.

OGD 114 and Cherry Coke Zero...

Now that sounds like a good way for me to get tid of my OGD 114

Aside: this is a good illustration for those of you who've never gotten to a Gazebo event: whiskey that would stand out on a personal bar gets lost on an SB.com Gazebo table! Be there!

I did not drink last night but agreed with Tim's quote too much not to comment! As a first timer at an SB.com gathering I would like to tell those who have not been, imagine your ultimate bourbon bar, multiply it by 100 close your eyes and pick a pour. You couldn't go wrong with any thing that was brought to the table

3 of many favorites for the weekend

1949 I.W. Harper 100 proof! I really thought I could nose this pour all night! Thank you Tim.

My first sample of Van Blankle. The best Lot B I've ever tasted. Thank you Randy.

The Gazebo Table (WOW) old/new and everything in between! To quote Tim "Be There!"

After slumming it last night I'm bringing up my avg by reaching for the top shelf by having some lot B to start and then some PVW 20 to finish up.icon7.gif

I'm enjoying a generous pour of Weller Antique after a 14+ hour day at work

Was at a bowling banquet tonight and got to try Basil Hayden's. It was okay. Not bad, but I wouldn't buy a bottle. Joe

At Greg's encouragement I tried some early 1980s Dant BIB as well. Nice stuff, not spectacular, but quite good.

Burst of flavor up front. Interesting flavor profile: light caramel followed by honey and then cinnamon-sugar. Not real complex, though. The middle is kind of light, but the finish isn't bad. Moderately long without being very intense. Moderate amount of complexity.

The complaint I have is the mouthfeel is somewhat lacking. There's a lot of flavor immediately, but it's like a piano playing without any bass notes.

Still and all, recommended for an inexpensive pour.

Tonight has been some JW Dant BIB, Buffalo Trace, Beam (blended from 1982) among others.

Last night I tried my WT 101 8 years old, bought in duty-free recently.

Although I've found this very enjoyable in the past, this one seemed lesser to me. The nose was very restrained and the taste rather clean and mild. Probably just bottling variations, but I was a little disappointed.

However, I vatted it 50/50 with some EC 18 and the result is quite remarkable. The heavy sooty attack of the Craig is lessened and the relatively bland 101 is beefened up to the same measure. The bouquet is good and rounded, the taste full and rich. Once there was a Canadian whisky called 8 & 18; I've just made a bourbon analogue.

Gary

Ataboy Vatman. I'm gonna try mixin that one up. Sounds pretty good.

Joe :usflag:

Thanks Joe. Still trying to trump Brad's vatting. :)

Gary

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!