What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08

ggilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok, we're almost a week into Spring so let's kill that Winter thread and start a new Spring thread.

Sound off.....

Cool.

This evening I'm having a Heiner Brau Kolsch. A nice refreshing brew, lemony. Made in Louisiana, this is one of the new wave of canned microbrews. It tastes very fresh.

Hmmm..that sounds very good Tim.

I started off the evening with some AAA 10 year and then moved on to Pappy 15. Gooooood stuff.

Glad to be here. Tonight I started with Centennial 13 yr and then had VS old Fitz 12 yo. This 12 yo is so darn good I just added a second pour. Anyone else enjoy this bottle?

Tonight is a little BT's Hancock's President's Reserve SB.... this is good. Not sure $50 good, but better than teh JDSB buy :) a mile

Weller Antique 107, it's been a while but it's just as good as I remember.

Started with WT101 to go with chicken marinaded in WT101. Then opened a bottle of Maker's Mark. What a difference! Maker's Mark was much smoother and sweeter. WT101 was more peppery with firey ambers of cinnamon the longer it stayed in my mouth.

Tonight I had some Iron Horse and cola premix.

Iron Horse is a Heaven Hill Bourbon that is bottled exclusively for the company I work for in Australia. The bourbon itself isn't bad, but I am really sick of premixed drinks!

Scott

Last night was current-vintage OGD BIB with a couple cubes, followed by 80s ND OGD 86 with one cube. Similar recipe, but a more complex, caramel-like, taste to the ND version.

Couple nights ago I made a great Manhattan:

3 parts JB White (I know, not the best)

1 part sweet vermouth

2 drops Angastura bitters (sp?)

1 Maraschino Cherry

Shaken with ice for about 20 seconds to get it nice and cold. It was one of the best I've made. I used to do 2/1 Bourbon/Vermouth, but with the JB, I think the 3/1 works better (and makes a bigger drink!)

Interestingly, I tried using the Basil Hayden recently, and even at 4/1 ratio, it tasted too strong of vermouth.

Working on a bottle of Wild Turkey American Spirit. While it may be overpriced, I have enjoyed the dickens out of it and by the time I'm finished with it, I may figure it to be reasonably priced.

Started with VSOF, not as good as last few nights... must be the order I drank it in. Working on ORVW 10/107.

I am enjoying a few pours of 4 roses 40th.

I am quite impressed with this everytime I have it.

The citrus/spearmint taste is decadant.

Working on a bottle of Wild Turkey American Spirit. While it may be overpriced, I have enjoyed the dickens out of it and by the time I'm finished with it, I may figure it to be reasonably priced.

Mike,

I'm with you there, buddy. I love the American Spirit and I just purchased the last 8 bottles Pernod Ricard had left in Australia. Should last me a long time!

We got 6000 of them in Australia, and it only arrived in December so it has been snapped up pretty quick.

Tonight I had some Elijah Craig 12yo and now I am sipping on some WLW 06 and eating some fudge. They seem to go well together.

Scott

While it may seem fairly late, I've stayed up late so I can sleep all day tomorrow (occupational hazard of working nights) so I'm having a night cap now; Buffalo Trace on the rocks.

I just returned from a funeral in Indiana. While there, my cousin, who hasn't drank in 25 years due to diabetes, told me to help myself at his bar (which is still stocked pretty well). I found a half gallon, half full, of Early Times bourbon. I thought it was quite good. I know that Early Times is no longer a bourbon. Can some of you who have been around bourbon longer than me shed some light on this for me. I was going to try to talk him out of it and buy him a modern replacement so that I could take it to the gazebo for the Sampler, unfortunately he had to go to the hospital and I really didn't want to approach him about it there. I'll be back in Indiana in August, and I'll try to get the bottle for the KBF gazebo in September.

Can some of you who have been around bourbon longer than me shed some light on this for me. I was going to try to talk him out of it and buy him a modern replacement so that I could take it to the gazebo for the Sampler, unfortunately he had to go to the hospital and I really didn't want to approach him about it there. I'll be back in Indiana in August, and I'll try to get the bottle for the KBF gazebo in September.

Stu, I will be at the Sampler and I grabbed a 750ml of some old tax stamped Early Times and I also found it very good for a young 4 yr old. I believe one of the Gilbert's said they new where some of this old Early Times was in VA?? I will bring the open bottle I have with me. I think it's good stuff.

Tony

Trying to finish off a bottle of EW "1783" (NAS). Once it's gone there will be room in the LC for something better.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!