What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2008

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tim......I've observed that lots of people in Texas are only concerned with Weller. I was recently asked by a patron of a local bar.."I've heard that Weller SR and Antique isn't going to be available in our bar for a while....what gives?" I told him about the shortage of aged bourbons and that they would return shortly. He never expressed any concern that RR went from 101 to 90 proof in the same bar. Weller is big here......Weller's number 1 market....and all the expressions have returned to our shelves including the 12yo.

I was also surprised that I didn't find any Centenials of any type....no BHC's or current varieties. Wellers just sell well here....thanks to Pappy Van Winkle spending a lot of time in Texas promoting his brand.

Randy

Thanks to a tip from Wade, I did a little shopping on a business trip over to Sabine Pass, TX. It appears East Texas is still a good place for finding good stuff. Here's what I bought and the prices:

3 Elmer T Lee's in the BUB for $19.99 each.

1 ORVW 10/107 Lawrenceburg for $24.99

1 Pappy 20 Lawrenceburg for $86.99

2 Pappy 15's for $40.99 (probably the original release at this price)

1 Sazerac 18yo from 2005 for $51.99

2 VW Family Reserve Rye's "D" bottling for $34.99 each

2 Rock Hill Farms "Cheesy Gold Chains" from '97 for $38.99 each

I left lots of things on the shelves too like BTAC's from various vintages. Those old RHF's are one of my favorite whiskies.

One store had a collection of over 1200 full, unopened decanters on shelves above the retail stuff. I saw at least a dozen various Old Fitz decanters, Cabin Still, etc etc. Every brand that ever made a decanter was there. The current owner said the previous owner collected them. Next time there I will take some pictures. Per the owner, they are not for sale.

Randy

Your welcome for the tip! I don't think I have tried RHF from a "Cheesy Gold Chain" - might have to ask you for a pour one of these days. Where the decanters in a store I mentioned? If so, I totally missed seeing them.

I opened a RHF "Cheesy Gold Chain" last night and it is excellent. I left one on the shelf there, so grab it next time you're there....and of course you're welcome to a taste here.

The decanters were at the store on College. I don't know how you could miss them.

Randy

I opened a RHF "Cheesy Gold Chain" last night and it is excellent. I left one on the shelf there

The decanters were at the store on College. I don't know how you could miss them.

Randy

Well then, I can only say that you have to go back and get it and ship it up to me.

Of course compensation will come back your way.

Bought another bottle of FR 120th at Party Outlet today...called ahead and asked Chris to hold one for me, it was a 55.5%, but I found 3 bottles of 120th just sitting on the shelf at 56.1%, so I bought one of the (slightly) higher proofs instead.

I've posted the bottle number and updated the list on 4 Roses 120th thread.

-Joe

Nice score, Randy, and kudos to Wade who recently pointed me to some old Louisville bottles of Weller Antique & SR!

Snared two more bottles of FR 120. Glad to have some back-ups but this stuff is so good I'm afraid it won't last long.

I was very happy with one of things I found today! A Liter bottle of 90 proof 101 Month old Beam Black Label! :grin: I had never seen anything from Beam this old so was glad to bring it home.

Also grabbed a couple of old Cabin Stills still with boxes. In my excitement of the Beam find I wasn't paying close enough attention to the OFBB because I thought I was grabbing all 2007 bottlings when upon further review after getting home they were 2003s! :bigeyes: I really didn't need 3 more of the Spring 2003 so if anyone is interested I'd be glad to trade a couple.

post-1291-14489814258296_thumb.jpg

post-1291-14489814258689_thumb.jpg

I was very happy with one of things I found today! A Liter bottle of 90 proof 101 Month old Beam Black Label! :grin: I had never seen anything from Beam this old so was glad to bring it home.

Also grabbed a couple of old Cabin Stills still with boxes. In my excitement of the Beam find I wasn't paying close enough attention to the OFBB because I thought I was grabbing all 2007 bottlings when upon further review after getting home they were 2003s! :bigeyes: I really didn't need 3 more of the Spring 2003 so if anyone is interested I'd be glad to trade a couple.

How is the spring 03? I have had both 04s, the 05-07... can you compair the 03 to any of those?

Man, that Beam looks real dark.

What proof is the CS? Is there a bottle date as well? The color difference between the CS and Beam is very interesting. Black vs. Red.

How is the spring 03? I have had both 04s, the 05-07... can you compair the 03 to any of those?

2003 was the year they had 2 releases, Spring and Fall. Here are my notes:

OFBB - Year Released/Year Barreled - Proof - Tag Color

OFBB - 2002/1989 -13 - 95 - Black stripe - Red hang tag

OFBB - 2003/1990 Fall - 13 - 89 - Brown stripe & tag

OFBB - 2003/1990 Spring - 13 - 93 - Green stripe & tag

OFBB - 2004/1995- 8 - 94 - Dark blue stripe & tag

OFBB - 2005/1993 - 12 - 96 - Purple stripe & tag

OFBB - 2006/1993 - 13 - 96 - Teal stripe & tag

OFBB - 2007/1994 - 13 - 94 - Cinnamon stripe & tag

2003 was the year they had 2 releases, Spring and Fall. Here are my notes:

OFBB - Year Released/Year Barreled - Proof - Tag Color

OFBB - 2002/1989 -13 - 95 - Black stripe - Red hang tag

OFBB - 2003/1990 Fall - 13 - 89 - Brown stripe & tag

OFBB - 2003/1990 Spring - 13 - 93 - Green stripe & tag

OFBB - 2004/1995- 8 - 94 - Dark blue stripe & tag

OFBB - 2005/1993 - 12 - 96 - Purple stripe & tag

OFBB - 2006/1993 - 13 - 96 - Teal stripe & tag

OFBB - 2007/1994 - 13 - 94 - Cinnamon stripe & tag

Here are two I had that were bottled in 2004

Distilled 93, Bottled in 04

Distilled in the fall of 95, Bottled in 04

I am trying to remember the color of the Stripe... but I wrote down the into off the bottle... I could have made error... It was not the 05, still have that, hot the 06 I remember that. Still have 07...

I got a $50 birthday check so I purchased Eagle Rare 10yo SB and WL Weller Special Reserve. Basically I purchased an everyday bourbon and a special treat for special occasions. I am normally restricted to the $25 price point, so this was a nice treat on both sides.

No bourbon, but while in the Big Apple I went by LeNell's and picked up some Fee's Barrel Aged Bitters....it'll get used with bourbon anyway

A bottle of Ancient Ancient Age, and Two bottles of Pappy 15! I finally found Pappy! Joe

Man, that Beam looks real dark.

What proof is the CS? Is there a bottle date as well? The color difference between the CS and Beam is very interesting. Black vs. Red.

I believe the bottom of the bottle has a 77 on it and they are only 80 proof, but still SW so I ain't complaining. Not sure actually is Cabin Still ever came in a higher proof? They are 4/5 quart.

I believe the bottom of the bottle has a 77 on it and they are only 80 proof, but still SW so I ain't complaining. Not sure actually is Cabin Still ever came in a higher proof? They are 4/5 quart.

IIRC, when Pappy made the bourbon, he only made 100 proof....then later I believe that there was a 90 proof. It will be super tasty....even for an 80 proofer. Sometimes, I throw a splash of Old Fitz Bib to increase the proof a dash.

Last night I bought a bottle of ORVW 90ga 10yr old..They had 2 bottles left but I could only afford one..It was $24.99..If anyone wants one,its at the Village Liquors in Louisville at Breckinridge Lane and 6Mile Lane in that little shopping center..The guy said it had been there a while..I am dying to get my hands on a bottle of 10 yr old 107 and a 15yr Pappy...Cant find either anywhere..

Last night I bought a bottle of ORVW 90ga 10yr old..They had 2 bottles left but I could only afford one..It was $24.99..If anyone wants one,its at the Village Liquors in Louisville at Breckinridge Lane and 6Mile Lane in that little shopping center..The guy said it had been there a while..I am dying to get my hands on a bottle of 10 yr old 107 and a 15yr Pappy...Cant find either anywhere..

Bought WT 101 at Liquor Barn on the way home from work, while there I asked about ORVW 10/107. They said it would be at least the first or second week of July before they expected any more.

-Joe

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow SB'er, I took delivery of some sorghum molasses in a decorative bottle this afternoon. :skep:

And to think that I was hoping for a bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

:lol:

Thank you SB'er who shall remain nameless! :bowdown:

A bottle of ERSB 10/90 to bunker, a bottle of Ezra B Single Barrel, and a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel. The Ezra B and EW must have been hiding somewhere because I don't remember seeing them the last time I was at that store. Both were bottled in 2003. Joe

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!