What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2008

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's not bourbon (or is it? See other current threads!), but in the duty free of a U.S. airport recently I picked up Silver Select, a November '07 bottling from Rick L-04 (this from memory). A good bottling but I still think the February 1 Rick 19 bottling is the best I've ever had. A member of this board is now in possession of same and I'm hoping to read his comments here soon to see whether I'm out to lunch on this.

Also bought some Buffalo Trace on this trip (a little too earthy for me), some 1792 (good but a little spirity) and Sazerac rye (excellent, soft and rich).

Gary

Not today, but from my recent trip to the US and Kentucky for the Sampler... Some I purchased, some where in lieu of trades and some where gifts. The final haul home was:

Vintage 17

Old Charter 12yo

Wild Turkey American Honey

Evan Williams

Elmer T Lee

Makers Mark 375ml dipped by me

Old Taylor 200ml

To those who offered bottles as gifts, I can't thank you enough. The generosity of this group is amazing. And to those who gave me bottles in lieu of future trades, Jen and I are already working on the requests to be sent to you ;)

Just picked up some Aberlour A'bunadh batch 18 and some Talisker Distillers Edition Sherry cask. Looking forward to enjoying these 2 drams!

Also picked up some Saz 18!

Today I bought some Evan Williams 1783...not bad at all..I was impressed for a bourbon that was $11.99...would not hesitate to buy it again..Anyone in louisville know where I can get some Old Charter Proprietors Reserve?

Yesterday while looking at a job site near Detroit, I bought my first PVW Lot B. Really looking forward to trying it out. The store also had Parkers Heritage. Maybe on my next trip I'll pick it up.

Mike

Yesterday while looking at a job site near Detroit, I bought my first PVW Lot B. Really looking forward to trying it out. The store also had Parkers Heritage. Maybe on my next trip I'll pick it up.

Mike

Hey Mike! Let me know when that is and we'll make a day of it! There are a few bottles of the PH 122.6 around this area. We could always open one of mine to see if you really want to buy it? Although I have not heard a bad word of it yet!

What area near Detroit were you in? Rochester Hills, Brighton or Riverview...Maybe Dearborn?

Tony

Hey Mike! Let me know when that is and we'll make a day of it! There are a few bottles of the PH 122.6 around this area. We could always open one of mine to see if you really want to buy it? Although I have not heard a bad word of it yet!

What area near Detroit were you in? Rochester Hills, Brighton or Riverview...Maybe Dearborn?

Tony

I have the 122.6 and it is very nice. Not sure it's worth the $85 price tag though. It belongs in the $50 range maybe. The 127 I've heard is not quite as good.

picked up Stagg 2007. I wanted this one for upcoming cruise. Hard to "sneak" many bottles on board. 144 proof goes a long way.

On the same note, I'm taking a 16 oz water bottle with 190 proof Everclear. Trina likes her Vodka drinks and Everclear diluted with half water is Vodka. I had do a little blind tasting with her tonight to prove it.

Also found a Spring 03 OFBB.

Stagg on a cruise? That'll be a niice cruise.

I too picked up a bottle of '07 Stagg. But my main purchase was 2 bottles of Willett Bourbon 7yr ("Old Fuss and Feathers") and 2 bottles of Willett Bourbon 6yr ("Pear Tree) over at Ace Beverage.

HUGE tax return coming in the mail so I thought I'd hit the internet and order some bottles y'all are always talking about.

1 x Sazerac Straight Rye

1 x Rittenhouse Rye 80

1 x Michter's 10 Year Single Barrel Rye

2 x Eagle Rare 10 yo

2 x Old Grand Dad 114

2 x W. L. Weller 12 Year Old Bourbon 90

1 x W. L. Weller 7 Year Old Bourbon Whiskey; USA 107

Guess I'll have to spend some of that return on a new cabinet!

I was hoping to pick up a Rittenhouse BIB but they didn't have it. What they did have, for the first time ever, was PVW15 and it was slightly cheaper than I've seen it in a while ($43.99) so I grabbed that along with a Weller Antique 107. The woman at the counter laughed when I got to the register and said she'd just put the PVW15 out and she knew I'd buy it. :) Then I cashed in my $5 lotto ticket and put another $5 towards a scratch off blackjack ticket and won $50. The PVW15 was almost free. :)

The wife and I stopped at the local CVS pharmacy to pick up a couple of items. As always, I browsed the liquor dept. Bought a 1.75 of Gran Legacy Bourbon. Anyone ever hear of this bourbon before? It says Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, on the bottle. Also,Handcrafted Kentucky Bourbon made with Pride and Tradition to achieve a Rich, Smooth Taste, and Prepared & Bottled By Fairmont LTD. Mira Loma, CA. Thought I'd give it a try. Only $16.00. Thought I saw something about it once on one of the threads, but couldn't find anything. Thanks, Joe

picked up Stagg 2007. I wanted this one for upcoming cruise. Hard to "sneak" many bottles on board. 144 proof goes a long way.

Penny and I are going on a cruise in September. On this one, for the first time I was going to stick to trying a different bourbon or rye each night for comparison and stay away from the "umbrella" drinks.

I know the main bar in the atrium on Carnival ships looks pretty stocked but I never really concentrated on just bourbon (the only bourbon I can remember having on a ship is Blanton's)

Is there enough choice to do that, or is it slim pickins bourbon-wise? And is that why you have to "sneak" Stagg aboard?

-Joe

I have not been on a Carnival cruise, but in general cruise ships have a very poor selection when it comes to whiskey. Besides, if they let you take it on board, why not avoid the huge mark-up they charge, especially if you don't need the services of a bartender to make difficult cocktails?

I have not been on a Carnival cruise, but in general cruise ships have a very poor selection when it comes to whiskey. Besides, if they let you take it on board, why not avoid the huge mark-up they charge, especially if you don't need the services of a bartender to make difficult cocktails?

Officially, they don't let you bring it onboard. If you declare it, they'll confiscate it and give it back to you at the end of the cruise (maybe). If you don't declare it, they'll confiscate it and we'll see...But, most bottles hidden in checked baggage make it through if safely packed, as few bags are actually opened and checked.

That said, Carnival's bar selection ain't bad. Eighteen months ago, it included Blanton's at all bars -- the only time I've really been glad to see it -- Old Grand-Dad 86 proof, and Wild Turkey 8yo, which you can have delivered to your cabin (opened) via room service for then-$40. The latter might have tempted me if the bottle had been sealed, but I was cruising solo so didn't bother, since I could order it at the bars. Plus, I'd packed a stash in my checked baggage, of course:grin:.

I did Carnival last year.. the OGD was bad... the Blantons was not bad, but cost to much... the WT we had on ours was the 101...

I brought some... so I was OK.. and when I ran out I got some off ship, put it through the X-ray and it passed right through.. it is more of a "balls" test than anything else.. the guys looking at the X-ray care about things that go boom.. not that go into a glass...

On Friday I found:

1 WTKS bottled on 6-28-95, was in a very dusty box

2 OCPR BHC slanted shoulders

2 VSOF BHC

4 I.W. Harper BHC at a low price (a smooth, pleasant starter or start her bourbon)

1 ER 101 NOLA

Not a bad trip even at inflated gas prices.

Now all properly stored and my bourbon IRA is feeling healthier.

1 WTKS bottled on 6-28-95, was in a very dusty box

2 OCPR BHC slanted shoulders

2 VSOF BHC

4 I.W. Harper BHC at a low price (a smooth, pleasant starter or start her bourbon)

1 ER 101 NOLA

Will, that is one hell of a haul!

The WTKS must be a pewter top, right? This early WTKS is sublime.

The ER101 N.O. is awesome bourbon, I call it Baby Stagg.

I have never had the OCPR sloped shoulder but hear it is great.

You and Tony are cleaning out the MI shelves.

Oscar,

It's Tony that is cleaning out SE MI, I got lucky with this one.

I went back to an old (nearly 40 years ago) stomping ground.

Will

Oscar,

It's Tony that is cleaning out SE MI, I got lucky with this one.

I went back to an old (nearly 40 years ago) stomping ground.

Will

Will, I resemble that remark :cool: ! Great finds, I thought I found all those ER 101...they're one of my favorites!

Keep up the good work!

Tony

Will, I resemble that remark :cool: ! Great finds, I thought I found all those ER 101...they're one of my favorites!

Keep up the good work!

Tony

Tony,

I thought you did as well.

Some times you get lucky.

Will

Regarding liquor on cruises..... We cruise fairly often, the last being on the Queen Mary out of Brooklyn in March, and always take our own liquor on with us. We always take some good pinot noir's as well as a few special bourbons. We enjoy a few cocktails and a cigar each evening on the veranda and want to drink the best we have while on vacation. We almost always cruise with friends so mini coctail parties are also quite common. The selection of good pinot and great bourbon is typically a bit slim on even the better of lines.

We always pack our libations in a styrofoam wine carrier so it is easy to transport and protect. When we get to the dock we personally give it to one of the baggage handlers and ask them to treat it gently as well as providing a tip of $5-10. Never a problem when handled in this fashion or when packed in luggage.

I would be careful not to pack any liquor that is over 140 proof as it is not permitted to be checked on airlines. I have had bottles checked so take the 129/131 Stagg!!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!