What are you drinking this moment?

CL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've noticed there are quite a few bourbons at 107 proof. Is there a significance to the 107? (Other than it works!)

I saw something once and can't provide a source , that Pappy VanWinkle was advised to only have 2 drinks a day , so he kicked the proof up on WL Weller . Julian could let us know if there's any thing to that or if it is another piece of whiskey mythology. I think 107 is a good proof, One does wonder how that was arrived at. It seems a lot have gone there. HH has an Original Barrel Brand at 107 ORVW has 2, Bakers, And a Couple Wellers. Twisted Spoke wieghs in at 105 and Fighting Cock is 103 .

I think traditional straight whiskey came off the still at that proof or something near it, so it is a benchmark for quality and authenticity.

That's a good story about 'two' drinks per day though. smile.gif

Old Fitz 1849 from my sister's delivery to me (we met in WV to see my brother off to Saudi.)

I immediately took to the 1849 and, also, the Old Fitz BIB. I haven't compared the two side by side yet, though. These bottles are going to empty quickly.

Well, I am finally sipping the highly acclaimed Woodford Reserve. After having read and heard so much about this bourbon I was beginning to think I was some sort of freak for not having tried it until now.

First impressions: This bourbon is refined and balanced. The nose seemed to possess equal amounts of citrus, sweetness and spice. I thought there was a strong similarity between WR's aroma and certain JB products (I think the citrus reminded me of JB Black and Bookers). The taste is very similar to the nose with a smooth finish but not quite the "candy" I had expected. I was also looking for similarities between WR and Old Forester 100 proof. I think Old Forester 100 may be the classier and more complex of the two but, again, these are just first impressions.

WR is a good bourbon that deserves more time in my glass. I'll definitely do a few head-to-head tastings with it and OF 100 and try to arrive at a more informed opinion.

-Troy

While I agree that WR and OF 100 are quite similar, I definitely think that WR is the "classier and more complex" of the two. Its just that, for twice the money, I'm not always sure its worth the difference. wink.gif

That said, both of these are definitely among my favorite bourbons and I doubt that you'd ever catch me without a bottle of each.

Tim

For cold weather, I don't know if anything beats Knob Creek. One of my original favorites and still hanging tough.

Rat, Seeing that I'm just "down the street" I can appreciate the weather description! grin.gif Good choice, but I went the WT Rare Breed route tonight..However, it is on the rocks, as usual. laugh.gif Cheers, See ya, H'wood cool.gif

I find just the opposite to be true. I have had countless experiences with WR and it just doesn't seem to compare in body or smoothness to OF 100. And the price...wow grin.gif

I will be very interested to hear of your eventual side-by-side comparison.

I find the 1849 very drinkable, but I finally dumped a sizeable portion of my BIB. I still hold out hope that I will one day discover that my bottle was not representative.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Yeah, a few nights ago, I debated long and hard whether to open a new bottle of Rare Breed or one of Russell's Reserve. I ended up with the RR, that time. But RB is still pretty much my No. 1 favorite. What am I waiting for? confused.gif

Tim

Comrades, I just opened my bottle of EWSB Bottle#340, bottled on 9/26/91...only because I stopped and bought another bottle tonight in a gift set (two decent, etched rocks glasses included). This one a "'90" model. grin.gif O.K. I'm going to make this fairly short...a nice "thick" pour with nice "legs" in my rocks glass (I drank it neat though). Initially a spicy flavor, but it was nice because it was very smooth. The part I enjoyed most was that it gave way to a wonderful caramal latte' flavor. Anyway, I enjoyed it...pardon the short description..I only have time for the Cliff's Notes version. See ya, H'wood cool.gif

At this particular moment, it is Old Forester 100 on the rocks. I'm watching "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" for the umpteenth time and really enjoying both. What a great whiskey! What a great movie!

Tim

Tonight I'm trying Elijah Craig 12 for the first time. Hmmm.... what the heck is this medicinal flavor?

John F

John, That's part of its' charm. Some like it ,some don't . I remember one fellow that I suggested it to. He said " It's got a bite". I like EC12, I Don't see how they can carry it that long in the warehouse and still sell it for 15-17 dollars a 750ML. smile.gif

Bobby said;

"That's part of its' charm. Some like it ,some don't."

Well, put me in the like it camp because that big fat cork keeps popping open and that remedial/stabilizer spout sure does want to angle itself towards my glass. grin.gif

John F

• 2 weeks later...

Booker's!

A couple of Stagg tastings and now I am on a high-proof kick. The great thing about Booker's is that it won't go away after 15 barrels or so grin.gif

Jeff, that reminds me . When we were at Buffalo Trace in Sept . I remarked to Greg Kitzmiller that I liked Stagg better than Booker's , He said he never makes that judgement until he blind tastes them side by side a couple times and see what comes out on top. I'll check that in the next few days. You in? My guess is that one would be able to pick out the Higher proof in Stagg . We'll see.

I think that you are right about the higher proof, but I noticed a difference right away in my glass of Booker's. It had a more "earthy" taste that the Stagg. I have also thought about doing a side-by-side comparison. I will try that soon and post the results.

I will say that Stagg, while higher in proof, is far smoother than most that I have tried. That might make it a little more difficult to discern.

I cracked open my first bottle last night. I got this 1 liter from my sister (who lives outside L'ville) when we met up a few weeks ago in WV. (Of course, I special ordered it through her, along with 8 other different bottles!)

Last night, I had the AAA after BT. AAA didn't stand up to the complexity of the BT. Actually, it tasted rather bland. But, tonight, the AAA is doing better. It has a buttery smoothness and a silky texture.

For the price, it is really good. I think this would be a great summer bourbon when you need a lighter touch. I also think of it as a poor man's Wathens, if my memory serves me correct. I would also like to taste it alongside Old Fitz 100 to see how it compares.

But, bottom line, I think my tastes run to more complexity and zest. It's not that I don't like this bourbon (I do, much better than say MM), but it may not have enough umph for me.

I have to come back to this. I'm drinking Jefferson Reserve-neat. This stuff is almost liquid erotica! laugh.gif Somebody made a statement the other day about a bourbon, and said they would drink it even without the buzz! laugh.gif Thats how I feel about this pour. I have drank about 1/3 of a bottle, and it keeps getting better. I'm going to revise a list soon...I have to place OFBB, Blanton's, Woodford, Elmer T. Lee, WT Rare Breed, and now the Jefferson. I know I'm leaving out a few favorites, but where am I going to put them?! I couldn't make a Top 10 list much less a Top 3! Oh, the "Stagg" is coming as well. grin.gif Life is good right now! See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Wild Turkey 12yo. I know a lot is being made of Buffalo Trace right now, but Jimmy Russell and the fine folks at Wild Turkey are IMHO the best of the best. I don't know if I have ever had a bourbon that I would consider to be better than this one. Several that are equal, but non better (to borrow a phrase)

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!