What are you Drinking Fall '08

SBOmarc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My buddy Hogben came up tonight with some cases of Four Roses Single Barrel. It's really nice stuff, the sticker on the side of the bottle says, Selected by and Bottled for, Tony Curtis and Oscar V Hightower.

We were invited to do a Barrel selection on October and had the pleasure of Hanging with Barrel_Proof (Cliff) and his son (Carson), who were down having a boys week in Louisville...nothing beats drinking good bourbon with folks from SB.com!! Thanks Cliff it was a great day.

We selected a barrel and then went and had lunch in Bardstown with Jim Rutledge and Patty, also very fun.

Anyway back on topic we are drinking some of the selected Four Roses, yeah it's really nice! We had it with some Grilled T-Bones that we encrusted with Blue Cheese.

After dinner we are having some 1972 Old Fitz BIB. May wrap up the evening with some old Eagle Rare 101!

Cheers,

Tony

I cannot even describe the jealosy that is coursing through my veins !!!!:bigeyes:

It is good to be Tony (and Oscar !!!):smiley_acbt:

Not my best effort at the poker game tonight. This pour of Weller 12 is easing the pain, though.

Getting reacquainted with some old friends that I haven't seen for years. They asked, "What's a good boubon?" I introduced them to my old fried, Lot B.

WT Rare Breed (WT-03RB)

Forgot how much I like this stuff.

ah, thanks for reminding me i have a little left. enough for the weekend!

but for tonight, it's a couple of Saranac's (ESB) and this (actually) quite pleasant JD Gold Medal 1981 banana fest edition...:rolleyes: :cool:

at least it's 90 proof

WT Rare Breed (WT-03RB)

Forgot how much I like this stuff.

ah, thanks for reminding me i have a little left. enough for the weekend!

WT Rare Breed WT-03RB is what I am capping off the night with.

Neat of course.

Good night everyone,..... I'll see ya in Chi-Town tomorrow!

It's a full moon... Santa just rode through our neighborhood on a fire truck playing Andy Williams tunes and giving out candy canes (really, he did) and I'm enjoying a pour of Weller 12 tonight.

-Joe

It's a full moon... Santa just rode through our neighborhood on a fire truck playing Andy Williams tunes and giving out candy canes (really, he did) and I'm enjoying a pour of Weller 12 tonight.

-Joe

That's quite nice.

Fat Tire with some nice smoked baby backs. Headed for a WTRB.

Just in case anyone forgot, Phils are World Champs.

Eagle Rare 101, the New Orleans bottle, neat.

Oscar,

Out of curiosity, do you pick up malted mild balls with the ER101?

On 10-28-08 Tony and I went down to KY and picked a private bottling of Four Roses Single Barrel.

The bottle was for a store in Lexington owned by a friend of Tony.

He let us in on the barrel picking and we got some that are labeled,

"Selected By And Bottled For Tony Curtis And Oscar V Hightower"

Yesterday I got mine and now I am having my first taste.

Yes, I love it. We of course tasted it right out of the barrel but this cut to 100prf still holds the flavor that I remember.

A very balanced and even blend of rye spice and fruit sweet.

I do think the rye wins out in the nose, the fruit in the initial taste then the rye makes a comeback in the tail.

I would say that after my top four FRSB favorites, those being, the 40th, the 120th, the McScrooges and a standard from the LW warehouse this one is my favorite.

So Tony, you say you got some extras, eh?

I'm trying Buffalo Trace for the first time right now....nose smelled a little fruity, followed by leather and some strong alcohol odor. First sip tastes clean and peppery, with classic bourbon taste -- the finish seems much muddier with a fruity rye coating lingering on my tongue.

In the next pour, I detect much more sweetness and I can taste the leather I was smelling -- maybe a little trace of tobacco? I will say the alcohol presence is a little more prevalent than I expected, this is not quite as smooth as had I anticipated. Now after taking a little break, I'm noticing a little vanilla & getting a little grassiness in the finish. I like this quite a bit. Solid, but not revelatory. Good rye character that, as I said, seems a little muddied in the finish.

Started out with Weller Centennial while watching Texans beat the Titans...Switched to AAA 10 yr for the Steelers-Ravens game.

-Joe

Oscar,

Out of curiosity, do you pick up malted mild balls with the ER101?

I'm sure you meant milk not mild balls,... but yes in the early whiff/taste for a slight second I could see where you would get some of that.

Typo on that....yes, I meant milk not mild.

Had a nice afternoon at a friends house enjoying conversation, Ravens/Steelers and a 6 year Old Fitz Prime 86p from '78. Wonderful.

I'm trying Buffalo Trace for the first time right now....nose smelled a little fruity, followed by leather and some strong alcohol odor. First sip tastes clean and peppery, with classic bourbon taste -- the finish seems much muddier with a fruity rye coating lingering on my tongue.

In the next pour, I detect much more sweetness and I can taste the leather I was smelling -- maybe a little trace of tobacco? I will say the alcohol presence is a little more prevalent than I expected, this is not quite as smooth as had I anticipated. Now after taking a little break, I'm noticing a little vanilla & getting a little grassiness in the finish. I like this quite a bit. Solid, but not revelatory. Good rye character that, as I said, seems a little muddied in the finish.

yep, BT is better than many...and not quite as good as several that cost much less....

thank goodness for the BTAC...anyways, working through a final pour of the 6 year Sazerac i got today...finally!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!