What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Winter '08/'09

shoshani
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Howdy,

Jim Beam Black label. It's my "go to". I'll admit that I also consume JBW; about 3 bottles/ year. I think JBB is a fair value.

Eggman

Made my first purchase of a WT 8yo 101 and a WT Rye 101, can't wait to try the WT Rye as the only rye i've experienced so far is JB Rye which is great. :grin:

Made my first purchase of a WT 8yo 101 and a WT Rye 101, can't wait to try the WT Rye as the only rye i've experienced so far is JB Rye which is great. :grin:

If you like Beam Rye Tym, you will love the WT Rye.

Did you find it locally or did it come from Nicks? Pernod Ricard do have stocks of it in Australia, but at this stage I believe they are only selling it to bars (there isn't much around)

Scott

A couple of days ago I got a parcel with 2 1/10 botles and 0ne 0,75. The 1/10 was ND OGD 114 and a no age Michters dekanter. The 0,75 was OO from Frankfurt (Old Granddad).

Leif

If you like Beam Rye Tym, you will love the WT Rye.

Did you find it locally or did it come from Nicks? Pernod Ricard do have stocks of it in Australia, but at this stage I believe they are only selling it to bars (there isn't much around)

Scott

Revisited Beam distilleries with the purchase of some Bakers. Might be a while before I get around to cracking this one. The mrs is starting to get goggle eyed at the number of open bottles around the house :bigeyes: :lol:

In keeping with Virus_Of_Life's observation that winter has begun (and as a Chicago resident who took three times as long to get home from work last night due to a heavy snowstorm plus winds plus 15 MPH drivers minus plows minus sand minus road salt, I am convinced), Here's a new "What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today?" thread for Old Man Winter.

I warmed up with Weller Antique. Very worthy pour; noticeably different from ORVW 10/107 - not as much depth or richness as ORVW has - but quite stellar on its own.

We're very fortunate to have quite excellent whiskey available to us at very reasonable prices. This one is $18.99 at Binny's.

I drink so little these days that I had vowed to buy no more bourbon for the foreseeable future.

However, today I had occasion to head down to Phoenix to pick up a bass amp. I couldn't resist swinging by Trader Joe's and Sportsman's Fine Wines and Spirits.

Unlike the TJ's I recall from SoCal five years ago this one had no liquor. Sportsman's had a few bottlings I've never tried, even though their overall selection was pathetic compared to, say, Hi Time in Costa Mesa, CA. (Due to lack of time I zoomed right past a BevMo. Perhaps I should have stopped.)

Surprisingly the gentleman who served me knew off the top of his head that Van Winkle bourbons come in 10, 12, 15 and 20 year-old bottlings. (None were in stock; he said he could get them in two business days.) I thought it would be priggish to note that he failed to mention the 23 year-old. He also knew that there is no such distillery as Black Maple Hill and mentioned two sources for the the whiskey so named. Such knowledge seems incongruous in light of the meager selection.

I picked up what I believe y'all call Baby Saz, although the bottle carries no such appellation, and Weller Antique.

They had [i believe] the current bottling of George T. Stagg, but at a price of $68 I found it easy to resist.

BTW the temperature in the Phoenix area (actually Glendale) reached 77 degrees this afternoon. Maybe I should have held up this post until spring reaches the rest of the country, too. :grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

On Saturday I bought a WTRR101 and a WT101"Old#8". I'd never tried the Old#8, so I figured what the heck. It's ok, but it's not even close to the WTRR101.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefnash51 viewpost.gif

Getting itchy to spend some bonus $$ this weekend...

Not a bad problem to have

I had a bit of luck today. The store I went to was out of ORVW 10/107, so I was planning on buying some 10/90 (I cut my 107 anyway). They had 6 PVW 15s in stock, so I grabbed four.

When I left, I realized that my total seemed a bit cheaper than I was expecting. When I looked at the receipt, I realized that I was charged the ORVW 10/107 price (~$33) for my PVW 15s (listed as ~$53).

I was quite happy. :)

Chris, Make mine a double!:lol: Every once in a while Murphy's Law is reversed. Goes to prove you don't always get the short end of the stick. Nice bit of luck. Joe

6 Lot B's.

Acquiring them has soothed my bourbon nervosa a bit though I wish it were more.

I have a feeling that once the first one hits the bin I will start plotting a resupply.

Dean, You done good. Real good. Now relax and calm down damnit! :slappin: Joe

When I left, I realized that my total seemed a bit cheaper than I was expecting. When I looked at the receipt, I realized that I was charged the ORVW 10/107 price (~$33) for my PVW 15s (listed as ~$53).

Damn that's a fine price - $US132 for 4 x bottles! Even in Aust dollar terms that is a find ($AU192) :bowdown:

picked up a few more to add to the list.

Saz 18

Rock Hill Farms

Another Handy

Hirsch Selection Small Batch Reserve

and heading out at lunch today to pick up a ER 17 i was able to locate. Trying hard to convince myself that a half bottle of WLW and one in the bunker is enough, and I really don't need one more. It's not going so well.

I'm in the same situation, I really want another WLW bunkered and I'm afraid I'll probably crumble under the weight tonight after work.

Got my first bottle of WT101 today. I feel that I am pretty far along in my bourbon journey to be trying it just now. Maybe I'll start a thread "What bourbon should you have tried by now, but haven't?"

Anyway, I'll give it a try this weekend.

Well, I bit the bullet today. Had the day off and my wife and I went looking for some new dining room furniture. (and dusty/bourbon hunting) Had a nice day. I think we finally found the dining room set we've been looking for, and I also found a bottle of Pappy 20 at a price I finally couldn't pass up. $93.99. So, now I have a bottle of Pappy 20 for my stash. Don't know when I'll crack it open, but it's there in case I feel the need. I'm a happy camper. Joe

I took in an OF Repeal set, a 98 WTKS Pewter top, a single barrel BT and an 94 Old Fitz BiB on trades. A Centennial didn't survive the trip. :shithappens:

The small upside is that my garage now smells like a rickhouse.

I took in an OF Repeal set, a 98 WTKS Pewter top, a single barrel BT and an 94 Old Fitz BiB on trades. A Centennial didn't survive the trip. :shithappens:

The small upside is that my garage now smells like a rickhouse.

Please tell me the Centennial didn't hit the floor, please no!!!. :falling: I feel your pain!

TJ

Please tell me the Centennial didn't hit the floor, please no!!!. :falling: I feel your pain!

TJ

No, it died in transit.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!