What beer are you drinking Winter '08/'09

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

has anyone had teh Monty Python Ale yet... I saw that for the first time in Boston... I meant to grab a six pack

Since it came in six packs (12 oz. bottles one assumes), that means it's the new, US-brewed version from High Falls (formerly Genesee, of Rochester, NY). The UK-brewed version came in a 16.9 oz (500ml) bottle. Still credited on the label to "Black Sheep Brewing" company.

I've heard some reports that the beer is entirely different BUT some of that is based on a reported call to the "importer/distributor", Eurobrews, in which they said it's now a "domestic" beer and the caller took "domestic" to mean "US adjunct light lager".

High Falls is a pretty respected contract-brewer (some Samuel Adams Boston Lager and perhaps other SA beers are still brewed there) and they can brew a pretty nice UK style ale for those that remember the pre-1980 version of Genesee 12 Horse Ale. The brewery once (1930's) claimed to have the "only Burton Union fermenter in the United States" (tho' I'm guess that was scrapped years ago...).

I am drinking a budweiser 24ouncer tonight, but planning to go Pliny hunting tomorrow. Curious what everyone's (anyone's) thoughts are on Pliny the Elder?

I just picked up a couple of the freshest batch to hit Denver (12/6/08). Russian River just started distributing here a few months ago, and Damnation, Blind Pig, and Pliny the Elder are fairly easy to find (though Pliny sells out pretty quick). I've also tried RR's Supplication on tap at the Falling Rock downtown, and it's exceptional.

At any rate, since landing here, PtE is probably my favorite beer, aside from Abyss. I love the brightness of it, with the pine and citrus predominant. RR is now bottling Pliny the Younger, as well, but I doubt it will make it here. Or will it...?

I had a couple pints of Haystack Wheat from Left Hand Brewing last night. My favorite watering hole ran out of the Pyramid Hefe and brought that in as a substitute. I'm a sucker for a good wheat beer and the Haystack really fit the bill.

Just finished my run, just before it started pouring. To celebrate my good fortune, I am pouring a Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout. This is seriously good beer. Lots of coffee, chocolate, and creamy. I may be looking at another, before long.

Just finished my run, just before it started pouring. To celebrate my good fortune, I am pouring a Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout. This is seriously good beer. Lots of coffee, chocolate, and creamy. I may be looking at another, before long.

plowing through (slowly....there isn't much snow yet) this case of the local philly brewery's assortment...this time, the Newbold IPA....and it's a classic, snappy example.

Pliny the Younger will not be bottled this year. For whatever reason RR can't get it done. There will be a keg of it at O'Brien's in San Diego next friday though.....

PtE is awesome, one of the best SDPA's by the man himself. It's a standard pour at three of th ebest beer bars in SD.

As far as beer goes...I'm getting ready to enter 12 beers in my first comp, so right now I'm rotating kegs in and out of 2 kegerators to get them carb'd and bottled...then new kegs. So for roughly 2 months I'll push 12 kegs through and will rarely have beer on tap to drink. Bummer....

Last night I had a Firestone 12....*drool* so good... next month at O'Brien's they're going to have an amazing lineup of beers. I just can't even tell you what goodness is coming.

Beer Blessed San Diego!

Tonight it is Narragansett Bock and it is dam good with a few shots of Wild Turkey American Honey! I just love beer and whiskey together and tonight we are doing some enjoyable combo's.

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

-----------------------------------------------------

Had a 22 oz Anchor Porter last night. It's been a while since I had one of these, which is a shame. A delicious brew.

A buddy shared a Dogfish Head World Wide Stout tonight. 18% ABV...whoa...what a beast. Absolutely amazing and I have no idea how that guy manages to coax yeast to that high ABV without prodcuing fusel (hot) alcohols. I've managed to hit 15%, but that was with mead using a cuvee yeast. 10.5% with ale yeast is my biggest beer.

Golden Monkey by Victory Brewing, Storm King Stout by Victory Brewing, Duvel, Boddington's, Allagash Tripel Reserve.

All great and enjoyable brews.

I love Victory, I have had their HopDevil and PrimaPils. Both are great. I don't care for Tripels so I never tried Golden Monkey. How's the Storm King Stout?

I went to a wine tasting this past summer and met a rep from Victory and I tried all his stuff. My favs were the tripel, the stout, and IPA so I bought more after the tasting. The stout is very nice. Actual notes escape me at this moment. I want to go tour the brewery as it is only 1 hour and 20 mins away from me.

I also had the Allagash Curieux, ale aged in bourbon barrels, good stuff.

In total from Allagash I have had the tripel, Four (their quad), dubbel, Odyssey,and Curieux. All excellent. Not sure which I would want in bulk though.

Finishing up the work day with a large bottle of Stone Smoked Porter. I have been overpowered with some of the German Rauchbiers, but this one from the Stone Brewery, is rather nice. The subtleness (compared to the German Rauchs) works better for me. I'm hoping to get to Stone next week, when I'm in Cali.

Hit the Great Divide Tap Room again today for some Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. Incredible as usual. I also got to try some experimental rye lager they're working on.

Restocked on Pliny the Elder as well, and bought a bomber of a semi-local wee heavy called Plaid Bastard. Got to say it was a good day.

I have started my Second case of Anderson Vally Winter Solstice and find it to be a truly wonderful Beer flavorful and very drinkable with an awesome Maltiness to it.

I love the Victory Lager to and have two cases of it here on hand and I have been drinking up the Narragansett Bock my friend from NY Got me In CT. Next weekend he is on a mission to get me some more bock and some of their New Porter for me to try, if it is half as good as the Bock and regular Narragansett it will be awesome!

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------

Beer Its not Just A Beverage Beer is Food

-------------------------------------------

Last night I had a Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale. I noticed that the 2008 version says "Wet Hops", while the 2007 says "Fresh Hops". I guess they want to make sure people know it's the same thing that has become so trendy.

Stone IPA at a very trendy wine bar that recently opened in town. Many wines available but only a two beers.

Last night I had a Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale. I noticed that the 2008 version says "Wet Hops", while the 2007 says "Fresh Hops". I guess they want to make sure people know it's the same thing that has become so trendy.

The difference between "Wet Hops" and "Fresh Hops" in the Sierra Nevada Harvest series beers is due to the fact that the "Southern Hemisphere" (New Zealand) hops could not be shipped "wet" - (weight, freshness and spontaneous combustion safety concerns IIRC) and were dried before shipping.

The difference between "Wet Hops" and "Fresh Hops" in the Sierra Nevada Harvest series beers is due to the fact that the "Southern Hemisphere" (New Zealand) hops could not be shipped "wet" - (weight, freshness and spontaneous combustion safety concerns IIRC) and were dried before shipping.

That's not what I've got, though. I've got the 2007 version of the regular Harvest Ale. The neck band says it is made with "wet" (their quotes) hops picked on one day.

It's last year's version of the same beer; they just moved the "wet" from the fine print to the main label.

I found a picture. It lost a little resolution when I uploaded it, but on the end of the first line of the neck label you can see "wet", and the middle of the second line says "undried".

post-2198-14489815147412_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.