What Bourbon Are You Drinking? Summer 2009

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK, its over 100 in AZ now days... Spring is gone and summer is here... Time for a new set of threads.

For me it has been WT 8yr from 89. Not as good as the old #8 from 92-93, which is surprising, but true..m

I am on vacation and brought 200s/375s of 80s dusties of IWH, OT, WT, OC, and 60s Old Fitz and OGD BIBs... Man got to drink in WA... Its a controlled state for KY sake :D

... And yes, Jason these will be coming your way

I'm drinking WL Weller 12 but I feel bad for not posting in the Spring 09 thread. It's very springlike in Chicago.

We had a board meeting in our local bourbon club BBB yesterday. Lots of different bourbons afterwards: Barrett’s 20 years (Michters), vintage 17, OGD BIB, OGD 114, OGD BIB 1976, FRSB, FRSB 120 and ORVW 10-107. I do feel it a little today.

Leif

I'm drinking WL Weller 12 but I feel bad for not posting in the Spring 09 thread. It's very springlike in Chicago.

60s Old Fitz and OGD BIBs...

.....drrooooooolllllllll....... there's a puddle on the floor in front of the computer :lol:

Nice finds! Hmmm...oh right, this is the drinking thread...how about a little squirt of WT101...always hits the spot and doesn't deplete the special stuff... ;)

ETL for me. Hey, cookie, ever try a mint julep as refreshment on a hot day?

ETL for me. Hey, cookie, ever try a mint julep as refreshment on a hot day?

Yes sir. I use JD or other more acidic feeling/tasting bourbons because, to me, they bring out the best of the mint to me...

Tonight it is 200 ml of IW Harper 80 proof from the late 80s and the some Old Fitz... I am on a cruise and brought a variety of bourbons (200s and 375s).

Been a while since i've been here, but I'm back. :)

Tonight I am enjoying a nice, healthy pour of Ancient Ancient Age. A nice ending to an otherwise sub-par evening!

Finaly opened my bottle of Lot B. Now I know what everyone is talking about.

Finaly opened my bottle of Lot B. Now I know what everyone is talking about.

Tell me what it is, cause I still ain't figgered it out myself.

Enjoying some WTKS, dark wood top, bottled '02. I AM starting to figure out what everybody is talking about here. Nice, nice stuff.

Tell me what it is, cause I still ain't figgered it out myself.

Enjoying some WTKS, dark wood top, bottled '02. I AM starting to figure out what everybody is talking about here. Nice, nice stuff.

Lot B is awesome!

I just finished off a Dark Top '02 WTKS yesterday -- it was a pretty good pour, for sure. Still, I don't think it's too much better than the current Rare Breed or 101 and nowhere near as good as the Rare Breed I have from '96.

JBB in a mint julep. Very straightforward taste, not complex at all. Almost like drinking Coke.

Last night's enjoyment was about 3/4 oz of Blanton's followed by about 3/4 oz of Old Forester BIB. I was getting interesting tobacco notes out of the OF. Tasty end to a rather nice day.

Lot B is awesome!

I just finished off a Dark Top '02 WTKS yesterday -- it was a pretty good pour, for sure. Still, I don't think it's too much better than the current Rare Breed or 101 and nowhere near as good as the Rare Breed I have from '96.

I guess my feelings toward the VW's are similar to yours toward the Turkeys. I like them, and the quality shows, but I've had ORVW 90, 107, Lot B, PVW 20 & 23, and I still think the Weller 12 is better than any of them, although the 107 is close to being on par with it. They're all good, but I've never been wow'd.

A couple ER 10/90 then a D&M Willett 7 yr to drown my sorrows after another bullpen meltdown.

I guess my feelings toward the VW's are similar to yours toward the Turkeys. I like them, and the quality shows, but I've had ORVW 90, 107, Lot B, PVW 20 & 23, and I still think the Weller 12 is better than any of them, although the 107 is close to being on par with it. They're all good, but I've never been wow'd.

Josh, I love me some Turkey . . . I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise.

As far as VWs are concerned, I think we probably have very similar opinions . . . I've gone on record as saying I hadn't met a VW that I loved. I liked the OWA 7/107 better than the ORVW 10/107 by a long shot (I'm really interested to give this one another try, though), the PVW20 is damn good but not worth the price, the PVW23 is just nasty, I haven't had the 15 yet, but the Lot 'B' . . . wow. I will say that (going back to my leader/follower theory) I always use OWA as a prelude to the Lot 'B' . . . after the OWA has gone down, a pour of Lot 'B' is next to amazing.

Also, the VW Rye is outta sight!

I have only had one tiny taste of the Weller 12, so I can't comment -- I thought it stood its ground against Weller Centennial, though . . . my cousin is hopefully brining me 2 Weller 12s this weekend from Boston, so if she comes through, I'm interested to see how it stacks up . . .

just my two cents, but I say remember the leader/follower thing . . . it has changed my mind significantly a few times.

cheers.

4R1B 120th Anniversary, neat.

Bottle No: 1424

Warehouse No: JW

Barrel No: 7-10

Proof: 112.6

I finished off a bottle of 4R1B Binny's #1 over the weekend.

After that bottle this one seems a little bit hot.

Also heavier on the rye spice % over the sweet fruit.

But a very nice finish.

Had a pour of KC at the bar to finish my long Tuesday lunch. Unfortunately, the owner was there so I got a tiny pour:mad:

some Buffalo Trace tonight.

.... the owner was there so I got a tiny pour:mad:

I hate when that happens. There is a bar in Galesburg ILL. called Big John's Silver Dollar Saloon. When he's behind the bar he measures every pour. Plus, the man doesn't exactly have the gift of gab. He's sort of surly.

JBB on top of Hiram Walker Chocolate Mint liqueur. No matter how I stir it, the two don't seem to mix, and separate out quickly.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!