What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2009

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hittin' the Turkey tonight. Sampled some 90s 8 year, 2002 WTKS, WT 12 gold foil... And the 8 year is the best of the three.

I think I need to trade all my juice off for 80/90s wt 8 year...

That's a bold statement Em! And I think I got some 8 year if you're trading Gold Foil 12s?!

Honestly, you should be able to find a lot of that around California, if you haven't already. I got to where I was leaving it because it was so run of the mill. I also had two bad experiences that pretty much turned me off of it though. One was a 1.75 (hex shaped) with a screw cap so it wasn't corked that was just terrible, I couldn't figure out what happened to it but it was undrinkable. Mike (Scratchline) can attest to it as IIRC he sampled it from it to confirm my taste. The other was a 750 and I think it was corked. So my experiences weren't the best with them, but I did have one good bottle and it is very tasty stuff for sure.

I cracked open my new Weller SR handle and poured a horter.... Man this bottle rocks.

I turnred it over and the bottle date is 04. Much better than the current.

Is BT going down hill?????:skep:

Is BT going down hill?????:skep:

Hard to say. I do know that I am enjoying some OWA 7/107 with 08 on the bottom. Can't beat it for an everyday pour.

Jim

Bowling night tonight. (Missed you Gary.) JB White and coke at the bowling alley. Finishing off the night here at home with a pour of ETL. Joe

Mixed bourbons, dash anisette, dash Stu's Arak el Khazen, rocks, water to 3/4-ers the glass, dashes two kinds of bitters. Stir very well.

An iced straight whiskey taste with an overlay of anise and red spice. Very smooth, as designed.

Gary

Too rainy (the commute home really sucked!) for "date night", so Joan and I are staying home tonight.

Enjoying some delightful FR Mariage 2009 (see my notess in the Tasting forum).

Hard to believe it's Fall when it's 90 degrees out.

Cooling off by the pool with some OWA 7/107 on the rocks.

Jim

Started with a Yamazaki after getting home from the ballgame.

Popped my RR 10/90 Bourbon Bounty for a pour and now it's Saz. Jr for the nightcap.

I enjoyed the Yamazaki the best tonight, follwed by Saz. Jr.

I did have 3 bourbons at Stockholm beer and whisky festival yesterday. Weller 7/90, Beam 7 and Pappy 20. The 2 first were actually the first time I tasted. The Weller did impress a lot for a cheap brand like that. Pappy was a bit better than I did remember with a fantastic nose but the finish was unfortunately a bit short and boring.

Leif

I knocked off the last of a bottle of Pappy 15 on Wednesday night and killed off the rest of a bottle of 10 year old Beam from the seventies last night. (Good stuff, that older vintage Beam.) Fortunately, I've got five more of the former and two more of the latter in the bunker, though I think I'll work on finishing off a bottle of Lot B tonight. I'm trying to "thin out the herd" because I got ahead of myself with too many open bottles at one time. My new strategy for awhile will be to stick with one bottle for two or three days to get to know its contents well, before moving on to something else. That usually leaves me with a half bottle or less to re-visit at another time but a better understanding of what I've consumed than when I flit around from one bottle to another, as has been my habit of late.

I had some Weller 12 last night and it's unbelievably sweet...almost like candy.

I really enjoy the Weller 12 but I have to be in the mood for it due to its sweetness. Other friends of mine have absolutely loved or hated the stuff for this very reason, but there's a place in this world for (nearly) all types of bourbon, so drink up Tommy! :grin:

Last night I thoroughly enjoyed a fat pour of JTS Brown BIB. I would say to anyone, if you have this available, BUY IT. It is one terrific and inexpensive pour.

After poker, I sat outside to contemplate my continuing donkey play at the table with a ounce of Maker's. I like Maker's, but was stunned by how wonderful the nose was on it. Nice and sweet and floraly. I have to admit, I had never realized how good the nose was, as I'm usually drinking it quickly in a bar at the airport, or something.

Last night I thoroughly enjoyed a fat pour of JTS Brown BIB. I would say to anyone, if you have this available, BUY IT. It is one terrific and inexpensive pour.

After poker, I sat outside to contemplate my continuing donkey play at the table with a ounce of Maker's. I like Maker's, but was stunned by how wonderful the nose was on it. Nice and sweet and floraly. I have to admit, I had never realized how good the nose was, as I'm usually drinking it quickly in a bar at the airport, or something.

I sure as hell wish I could get some JTS Brown BIB here in Chicagoland. I've never seen it but will grab some for sure when I visit Kentucky next month. As for the Maker's Mark, I've always really liked it and am happy to drink it on any occasion. I took a bottle on a camping trip this summer and we all enjoyed it sitting around the campfire. Great stuff and, as you said, an exquisite nose.

I had about 3 healthy pours of the 2009 OF Birthday Bourbon and each pour was better than the last. I think they did a bang up job this year. Very refined and full of flavor. The finish won't quit and the nose is bold and just as complex as the flavor. Get'cha some!

OGD 114, WT 8 and RR 101 tonight. All tasted nice I think, but the spicy grand dad did suit my mode best this evening.

Leif

Getting this weekend party started with Dave Gonano's Single Barrel, Barrel Proof, 5 yr. Willett. 121.8 proof of deliciousness!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!