What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2009

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having a nice big pour of ERSB, watching the moonlit silhouette of a huge deer (doe) out in my yard.

This bottle has that musty oakiness I like so much in the ER. Been missin' it lately, but it's back!:cool:

Cheers!

Wild Turkey 80 proof from the late 1980's, neat, but it seems watery.
Mix it with OWA.... You will love it

I mixed some up and I'm sipping it now, yep, you are right again oh Great Turkey Guru of the Desert.:cool:

Mix it with OWA.... You will love it

But Emerald... I thought you were the one saying OWA itself was watery these days! ;)

Sipping what will become VBT#226 in a flight with 3 other relatives.

After a week of bourbon funkiness, I had a pour of Rowans Creek this evening. It was good but I ended up not finishing it.

Finally wiped out a Willett 7yr.

This bottle did not agree with me, so it took me months to get through it.

I have a bottle of 6yr in the bunker but I dont think I'll be in any hurry to open it. This 7yr just instantly hits me like heartburn and it's the only bourbon I have drunk so far that does that to me. It's really quite an annoying trait and I have no idea why.

Bowling night tonight. JB white and coke at the bowling alley. We had a good night and went out for pizza and drinks afterwards. MM and sprite there. As an added note, I brought some 1792 with me in a flask. :grin: Between the bowling alley and the bar/grill afterwards, we finished the 1792 also. Joe

OGD 114 before dinner and ORVW 10/107 with the apple cake for dessert yesterday. These are really 2 favourites of mine. The OGD has tasted better than ever the last 2 days I have enjoyed it.

Leif

Startedwith a little OWA and Old#8 from 97, then I jumped head first into some WTRR101... we put a hurt on this bottle... great stuff and the void at the topshows it :D

After a week of bourbon funkiness, I had a pour of Rowans Creek this evening. It was good but I ended up not finishing it.

WLWeller Centennial, neat, while dreaming of the BTAC's that hit the stores in KY.

WLWeller Centennial, neat, while dreaming of the BTAC's that hit the stores in KY.

OK, the verdict is in, I like 'em in this order.

1. WLarueW, uncut, neat

2. Centennial, neat

3. WLarueW cut to 100 proof, neat

The odd thing about it is the WLarueW cut to 100 seemed a little hot and dry, weird.

My own personal bourbon blend, the one I had at Gazebo but tweaked (more Woodford and Bulleit added). I have found the perfect way to drink it, which is 3:2 with a soft spring water (using San Benedetto currently but any soft water will do). No ice.

The charms of whiskey and water can often be overlooked in a group so focused on whiskey in its natural state. But there is a logic to the combination.

In this case, the water removes lingering sub-acidity in the blend and "displays" it in the best sense. The taste is rounded, soft, caramel driven and lightly spicy. For some reason it reminds me of Makers Mark, I don't know why since there is a ton of rye-recipe whiskey in there. But it has its balance and verve. Taken neat it isn't half as good.

Gary

Looking at Oscar's last post I am in absolute agreement. Sometimes cutting a high proof whiskey, even to a still-daunting 100 proof, results in a lesser drink. But on the other hand, sometimes it results in a better drink.

In the case of my blend I just mentioned, cutting it improved it and brought out its best qualities. Not cutting a bit. Cutting it by a 1/3rd at least.

Every whiskey is different...

Gary

Before poker, it's Fighting Cock. Hopefully, it will help get rid of my donkey play of the last several weeks.

I giggle everytime I say Fighting Cock. Fighting Cock. :D

Fighting Cock. :D

I bought this bottle in South Carolina this week. Of course, you know this has to be a big seller on University of South Carolina home football weekends. I'm 47 years old. I'm an adult. (Of course, my wife would argue that point.) But, when I took this bottle to the counter and female cashier, I got a little of that semi-embarassed feeling, like one gets when they're a teenager, and buying condoms for the first time from the pharmacy. :crazy: :blush: Of course, that's the pharmacy two towns over... ;)

Okay I'll go ahead. :)

There is faint corn on the nose with sweet oak wood smoke behind it. The taste is soft as a pillow despite the high proof. A center of sweetness is the keynote, pecan-like, surrounded by some creosote/caramel/wood but very balanced, together, in taste.

A fine whiskey by any definition and its low cost is just a boon. This whiskey has improved significantly in recent years in my opinion.

Gary

Had some WT101, WTRR 90 and now some Pappy 15, my beloved, with a nice cigar....ole Pappy really enjoyed his cigars and the whiskey really goes so well with one. To Pappy! :toast:

I have spent the evening with a couple of pours of JRPS 17. The first couple of times I tried it I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about -- it seemed really average.

Tonight I had a mild dinner and then some black tea before I tried it again.

NOW I get it - layered and complex if a little subtle into a long sweet finish. Very nice.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!