What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2009

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Four Roses Single Barrel 2009.

Now we're talking.

The normal fresh spice of Four Roses is dampened in the nose and taste with deeper tones of sweet caramel, medicine and a perfume that spells well matured bourbon. Silky and soft-refined on the palate yet with full flavour, the 100+ proof barely in evidence. Very close to the best of the 70's and 60's bourbons often remarked on here.

Gary

Four Roses Single Barrel 2009.

Now we're talking.

The normal fresh spice of Four Roses is dampened in the nose and taste with deeper tones of sweet caramel, medicine and a perfume that spells well matured bourbon. Silky and soft-refined on the palate yet with full flavour, the 100+ proof barely in evidence. Very close to the best of the 70's and 60's bourbons often remarked on here.

Gary

Bubblegum. That's what I get a lot of on the 4R Barrel Strength 2009.

At any rate, enjoying a mint julep with The Fox right now. And I don't mean the news channel either. It seems to have been perfectly crafted for just such a purpose.

I read in a book once that in the old days you could tell where a Virginian was buried because of the mint that would sprout up at his gravesite, on account of the vast quantities of mint juleps he had consumed.:grin:

Each barrel can differ quite a bit in my experience. What's yours?

Mine is 43-3K, 57.5% ABV.

Gary

Each barrel can differ quite a bit in my experience. What's yours?

Mine is 43-3K, 57.5% ABV.

Gary

I got more bubblegum out of the one Oscar had. But I still get a lot outta mine, it's 43-3R, 58.59% ABV.

Okay, thanks, looks like a different yeast, R vs. K if I have the coding right.

I find a certain family resemblance amongst all the Four Roses products but they do differ as well of course. I get a spicy cinnamon note in most of them. I like it when all the elements (that one, floral, sweetness, esteryness, earthiness) are well balanced. Four Roses 80 proof offers the best example of that I think. It would be interesting to try it at 100 proof, maybe one day we will see a release like that or a barrel strength (the 10 together with no reduction of proof after dumping).

I now remember the plan at Party Source to release successively the individual whiskeys, which will allow buyers to try this themselves.

Gary

I had a couple pours of FRSmB last night and like Gillman said...I got a lot of spicy cinnamon out of this one...then had a pour of RR 10/90...lots of leather and maple syrup...finished the night with a GJ and Diet...what can I say...it was a good night! ;)

I just returned from my local package store with a new 750ml of Maker's Mark. To salute their good deed mentioned in the other thread, I am sipping on a nice pour of Maker's, in my wax dipped round shaped Maker's rocks glass, while tipping my Maker's baseball cap towards Loretto. My Maker's t-shirt is dirty, or I'd have it on, too. :D

Ya know, I don't care what anybody says. This is very good whiskey.

:toast:

I just returned from my local package store with a new 750ml of Maker's Mark. To salute their good deed mentioned in the other thread, I am sipping on a nice pour of Maker's, in my wax dipped round shaped Maker's rocks glass, while tipping my Maker's baseball cap towards Loretto. My Maker's t-shirt is dirty, or I'd have it on, too. :D

Ya know, I don't care what anybody says. This is very good whiskey.

From one Joe to another, Cheers Brother! :grin: It's all good. Joe

OGD BiB '84 to ER 101 '80 to Old Fitz BiB '82... all neat and tasty.

now if I could just find an '80's oldies station....

OGD BiB '84 to ER 101 '80 to Old Fitz BiB '82... all neat and tasty.

now if I could just find an '80's oldies station....

Fighting Cock, from a recent 200 ml. Excellent! I hadn't had this in some time and recall the last one, from 3 or 4 years ago, being somewhat oily. Not this time, it is perfectly matured and is soft and spreading on the palate despite the impressive proof. Offers good caramel and butter and the whiskey just evaporates on the palate. As good as EWSB in my humble opinion. Wish I had bought a larger bottle.

Gary

Celebrating a Georgia Bulldawg Victory with a BHC Weller Centennial.

Woof Woof!!!

Celebrating a Georgia Bulldawg Victory with a BHC Weller Centennial.

Woof Woof!!!

Wallowing in a ASU Loss.... with Wild Turkey 8yr....

Finally got myself into a big pour of ERSB after a long day. Still have miles to go before I sleep but this pour is setting things right.

I've noticed a lot of variation in ERSB these days. They're all good, but I'm noticing much wider variations in "woodiness" than I remember in the past.

Compared my open ERSB with a new one I bought today and was struck by how different they are. Old one has the signature BT "mustiness" while the new one is more balanced, with a more pronounced "saddle soap" thing going on. Don't think it's a result of the older one being open, they don't last too long around here (I cook with bourbon all the time). I'll check the barrel numbers if anyone's curious.

Compared both to an open EW Black, NAS I use for marinades and, as one might expect, the EW didn't even taste like bourbon in the face of that formidable competition.

Weathering some major storms here of late, but a nice pour of good whiskey on a cool early autumn night gives me the pause I need to face tomorrow's battles.

Cheers!

Had my first OGD 114 yesterday at Bourbon's Bistro with 4 other chefs and our boss. We had been drinking a good 3 hours before getting to the restaurant so I am going to definitely have to revisit this one. It seemed very fruity, slightly peppery and seemed fairly smooth for the proof. (I ordered it with just a couple of rocks, but even the first couple of sips didn't seem all that hot. Of course, that could be the fact that I was already well on my way by the time I had it making the alcohol burn, LOL. At any rate I did enjoy it.

Hey Mike,

What resturant do you work for?

I got out of the restaurant side of the biz a while ago which actually allows me to go to restaurants on a Saturday night, LOL. I am a regional executive chef for Morrison Healthcare, Inc. We are a contract foodservice management company that handles all aspects of foodservice for hospitals.

Prior to that, my most recent restaurant gig was exec chef at Club Grotto here in Louisville.

Wallowing in a ASU Loss.... with Wild Turkey 8yr....

Yeah, but your Turkey beats my Weller.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!