What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2009

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just got back from town where I had a pour of KC with a nice steak. With all the talk of Maker's Mark in Chuck's thread, I intended on ordering that at the restaurant, but, they no longer carry it. I even stopped at a convenience store afterward looking to buy a pint of MM. No luck there either. When I stopped at Walmart to get some chips, Little Debbie's, and pop for my lunches this week, I almost bought a fifth but I didn't want to spend the 27 dollars, which is why I stopped at the gas station looking for pints or half pints. I always hate it when stuff like that happens..........

WT101 then some RR90 and now some Lot B as I relax with a movie before starting the new week. I could drink a few more....

While in the chat, i sucked down some WLW 2009, WT 8 yr, and WTRR...

Man that place makes me drink !!!!

Went to a wine geek dinner tonight so I thought I would bring some Bourbon to drink while listening to them argue about which Pino was better. I placed Baby Saz, Bookers, ORVW 10/90 and WTAS on the table, which I drank throughout the day; the wine guys thought Baby Saz was a hit, however couldn't hang with Bookers, even with a cube.

Had some ETL in a "sweet Old Fashioned" (cheesehead style) to finish off the last dregs of that wonderful bottle, then a nice pour of OWA (again), followed by a small squirt of OGD BIB. The OWA is growing on me big-time...I really like this whiskey.

Yesterday it was VWFRR K before dinner and JDSS after and today EC12 before and JDSS again after. Yesterday I had dark chocolate with the JD and today apple pie and vanilla souse. This is defiantly my favourite all-round whiskey. It works splendid as an aperitif, after dinner with or without coffee, late at night and with many/most (but not all) desserts and dark chocolate. This said the quality of the JD vary a bit due to the fact that it is a single barrel.

Leif

Yesterday it was VWFRR K before dinner and JDSS after and today EC12 before and JDSS again after. Yesterday I had dark chocolate with the JD and today apple pie and vanilla souse. This is defiantly my favourite all-round whiskey. It works splendid as an aperitif, after dinner with or without coffee, late at night and with many/most (but not all) desserts and dark chocolate. This said the quality of the JD vary a bit due to the fact that it is a single barrel.

Leif

Please stop using white.. before you post, click on the AA logo to change it so everyone can read your post man. You have some good ones, and I would like to read them.... you must have a black background :D

Please stop using white.. before you post, click on the AA logo to change it so everyone can read your post man. You have some good ones, and I would like to read them.... you must have a black background :D

Is this better?

Leif

EC 12 and JDSS yesterday. I could not persuade my 80-year-old mother to taste some as she did visit us over dinner. Homemade liqueur and both red and white wine were no problem though.

Leif

08 and 09 GTS

The 09 nose is much oak and a hint a sweetness hidden behind the wood. Same on the palate with a long spicy finish. I'll revisit this juice over weekend to see if its opened up a bit.

Tonight will be a taste of 09 WLW....I believe our good buddy John H. says its his fave of the BTAC this year...

I just poured the last of the bottle of '07 WLarueW thru a brown coffee filter to filter out the char.

It's good, I am looking forward to this years's WLW but one review I read said that it has some hot cinnamon and the alcohol was to noticeable.

I hope I'm not going to get let down.

I just poured the last of the bottle of '07 WLarueW thru a brown coffee filter to filter out the char.

It's good, I am looking forward to this years's WLW but one review I read said that it has some hot cinnamon and the alcohol was to noticeable.

I hope I'm not going to get let down.

You Filter Out The Char?!?!?:shocked:

Char=Good!!!

Give the bottle a light shake before each pour and it will be evenly distributed with each pour: no stripping of flavor!!!:cool:

Is this better?

Leif

Perfect.

EC 12 and JDSS yesterday. I could not persuade my 80-year-old mother to taste some as she did visit us over dinner. Homemade liqueur and both red and white wine were no problem though.

Leif

Not so perfect :)

I like reading your posts... Take her easy...

I was hitting the old crow and some Clementine 101

Ancient Age neat.

I wish there was some higher proof expressions of this juice.

not bad at all for the cash.

A gift from Smokeless Joe, a pint of 12 year old Canadian Club, put on the market about 20 years ago according to the stamp, thus the youngest whisky (per the former Canadian system) is mid-70's distillate.

This is a very rounded dram of whisky, with creamy, sweetish flavours of wood and something piny in the back (probably the straight rye component).

I'll need to get a current one to compare them but it will take a lot to beat this oldster. If I find one I'll do a comparison.

Thanks again Joe for thinking of me for this one.

Gary

Starting with some OGD 114. Tonight I think I'll take another hit from my Stagg in anticipation of the '09's coming.

4RosesSmB

RR 10/90

HH Green BIB

I'm thinking of taking the RR 10/90 out of the rotation when it's gone and just sticking with the 4RosesSmB. I find the taste profiles somewhat similar but like the 4Roses much more.

A little air in the bottle seems to have opened up and sweetend up this HH tasting a bit better to me. It is so dry though on the finish, like sucking on walnuts. I dont know that I like that sensation in Whiskey.

OWA....yet again. I'm really really really liking this pour. A lot. Still have yet to try it any other way but neat...I bet it'll be good in an Old Fashioned cocktail...

You Filter Out The Char?!?!?:shocked:

Char=Good!!!

Give the bottle a light shake before each pour and it will be evenly distributed with each pour: no stripping of flavor!!!:cool:

Yum, Yum, I agree Timothy. My favorite part of the Staggs and WLWs, is the...................OK, I'll call it GRIT, at the bottom. I chew it up. :yum:

Char that is....black coal....Texas Tea....sorta....

Its so damn good....I often drink the bottle a third or more down before I begin to shaking it before pouring just so I can maximize the amount of 'grit' in the rest of the bottle. Its just one of those things......sort of the drinking equivalent of a peculiar eating habit.

Ancient Age neat.

I wish there was some higher proof expressions of this juice.

not bad at all for the cash.

Rock Hill Farms is the same mashbill at 100 proof. Good whiskey, but hardly a bargain @ $54.98 state minimum here. I think the AAA 10* & Elmer T. Lee are 90 proof, but are more affordable.

I've got a pretty substantial collection of bourbon now (over 70 different bottlings of various brands excluding repeats) but have been seeking out something new lately and can't figure out what to get next. For some reason, I've always passed over Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, Black Maple Hill, Rock Hill Farms, Hancock's Reserve and Jefferson's Reserve. Are there a few "must haves" in amongst this group, all of which are readily available to me here in Chicagoland?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!