What are you drinking Spring 2010?

hectic1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A big ole splash of 4R1B, neat.

And you?

Well, now that you ask O, :D...A big ole splash of 1980 Old Overholt (Michter's, I believe?). Just...OK...Baby Saz IMO, is infinitely better than this is every single category...color, nose, taste, finish, proof, and even better looking old timey bottle. ;)

I'm with you... both on the busted bracket and the Ezra B (although mine is 10 yo).

:lol: Interestingly enough, as I found out today, everybody else in the pool got waxed, too. So, there's hope for me, yet!

Jeez.... wasn't anyone rooting for K-State? :rolleyes:

As for the 1980 old overholt, it's got an excellent nose! it doesn't taste much like any other ryes I've had, but the rye spices and apple notes are there. There's some pie spice in the nose beneath the floral notes.

It's not world-class, but I think it's at least as good as the Sazerac. strangely enough, I just can't love that one. I love the siblings, but not the baby. :grin:

Starting the night with some OGD114. I have a terrible cold and the grand dad is tasting terrific tonight. I don't know why I don't grab this one more often... for $20 it's pretty darn good.

Starting the night with some OGD114. I have a terrible cold and the grand dad is tasting terrific tonight. I don't know why I don't grab this one more often... for $20 it's pretty darn good.

make that two of us enjoying OGD114 this evening. ;)

I've had a bottle of Baker's 7 year old, 107 proof, collecting dust for a couple of years and decided to bust into it and stick with it until it was gone (not all at once mind you).

I bought one each of the small batch bourbon collection a while back. I finished the Basil Hayden's, Booker's and Knob Creek but wandered off and left the Baker's. It taste very similar to the others but still has a tad of individual characteristic.

I don't like whiskeys over 12 years old.

I think most American Whiskeys over $40 are overpriced.

I think most private bottlings are overrated.

But this Binny's Elijah Craig 18 Single Barrel. WOW WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!

I kinda like it.:grin:

Bourbon'st Bistro BS OESK followed by a small pour of ER 17 2002 compliments of BarTurtle!

A great night at Bourbon's Bistro! :D

A little bit of everything tonight.

I smoked BBQ ribs on the grill- got the egg fired up and threw some hickory in there. I marinated the ribs in some Beam black, BBQ sauce I made with Four Roses small batch, and a touch of RC cola. I put some BBQ seasoning on them and smoked them for a couple of hours, glazing them with Beam black BBQ sauce I threw together near the end.

While the ribs were smoking, my wife and I experimented with a 200 ml bottle of Old Grand-dad 114, Lot 2, from 1981. I liked it, she loved it. She thought that it was very well balanced and flavorful stuff. Something in it reminded her of brandy, and she decided to pour some clear creek oregon apple brandy to compare it to.

Meanwhile, apparently my mother-in-law has never had good ribs.... Growing up she had some bad experiences with them, and never wished to try them again. thankfully for all of us she thought these were wonderful and we gave her the portion leading towards the brisket, and she devoured it.

My wife's mom does not drink... but somehow Tracy and I discussing ND OGD114 got her curious. She tried the apple brandy, immediately followed by the (somewhat spicy, especially to someone not familiar) OGD114. Her reaction was classic! but from there we convinced her to try some OCPR SS, which she found more satisfying than the other two, and then some R&E Willett, which was a bit much for her.

Opened a bottle of Unruly Red, which is a great wine for the price, and we sampled that around, too...

Right now I'm finishing off the glass of willett we poured. cracked pecans, hickory brisket and chocolate/pie spices... .damn!

Started with some Lot B which is kept in my decanter and I finished off the remaining.

Then went to some WLW09 which I really like way more than the Lot B. This is becoming one of my favorite with PVW20 and PVW15. The WLW like the Van Winkle has great nose and taste. But unlike the LotB, it is so much smoother and doesn't have the follow up burn.

Finishing up the WLW pour, I'm going to get some of my Four Roses cask strength OBSK.

I have to start the night with couple of pours since I will have to watch the Twilight series New Moon video with the wife.

Cheers

--Hugh

Got home from work this afternoon and had a small pour of VWFRR while finishing up some insurance paperwork and doing various other menial tasks. Man, it hit the spot and made it all worth while. :cool: Joe

Started with some WLW09 then into the PVW15. Then finish with some PVW20. I think WLW has now moved up the rating for me and is now behind PVW 20 but over PVW 15.

The color and the nose for both are great. The taste of the PVW20 is more complex while the WLW09 is a little smoother and lighter. Both doesn't have the sharpness and burn at the back while the PVW15 has a just a little.

Looks like I'll be adding another bottle of PVW20 into my bunker this week.

I did it John, I opened what I call the 1st 4R1B purchased in MI.

Ya know, sometimes it slightly reminds me of George Dickel Barrel Select, especially this bottle.

I did it John, I opened what I call the 1st 4R1B purchased in MI.

Ya know, sometimes it slightly reminds me of George Dickel Barrel Select, especially this bottle.

4 roses and Dickel has struck me as slightly similar stile wise (light and elegant) as well Oscar. The low warehouses?

Leif

4 roses and Dickel has struck me as slightly similar stile wise (light and elegant) as well Oscar. The low warehouses?

Leif

Yeah, especially the 4RSmB, it is real close to Dickel.

OF86 on the rocks presently, one of my favorite value pours.

Next I am going to taste the new (old) pewter top WTKS that has been breathing on the bar for the past hour (that I brought home today).

yum me.

Last night it was a small pour of ER101 before dinner, and then later some Weller Centennial.

Leif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!