Maker's Mark 46

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

To be compared to New Coke it would have to be weaker in flavor and overly sweet.

I'm sure someone would argue with you...

I've only finished a bottle of this so far, with another in the bunker. I wasn't all that impressed, but I think I had it up against PVW15, Lot B, and Weller 12. I didn't really give it a chance. This next bottle is going with me, by itself, to a dinner party. Now, if I could just get invited to one.

I'm sure someone would argue with you...

I've only finished a bottle of this so far, with another in the bunker. I wasn't all that impressed, but I think I had it up against PVW15, Lot B, and Weller 12. I didn't really give it a chance. This next bottle is going with me, by itself, to a dinner party. Now, if I could just get invited to one.

The deck was stacked against it if you were tasting it against those.

It is best on its own and when you haven't had any other whiskies for a few days. I find a cognac like note in the nose that gets overpowered if you are tasting it against other bourbons.

Could be that after the original buzz and excitement we are left with a product that's just not that great?

I definitely think there is something too that. It's a step up from the regular Maker's in flavor and complexity, but it's not by a longshot going to be one of my favorite Bourbons in its range. I think it will win over some Maker's fans and do well on the holiday gift circuit, but not among our types.

I am concerned that after waiting so long to do something different and producing 46, that MM will crawl back into the " this is all we do " mode, and cease efforts to extend the line.

Changes in the Master Distiller, succesion plan in place. Please don't stop.

Sorry guys, but sales of Maker's 46 are through the roof. It's a huge success.

Let the weeping and gnashing of teeth begin.

From a company stand point that's a great thing... I have no idea how well or not it really is selling, I do see it often that's about all I can say.

I've seen it in numerous places throughout tax-free Delaware for $32.00. In Maryland it seems to be a bit rarer, and usually closer to $40.00, plus tax.

I'm no fan of Makers 46 but the New Coke comparison is off the mark. While many here may not be fans, 46 is apaprently a marketing success (at least for now).

But, then again, so is Red Stagg.

I'm no fan of Makers 46 but the New Coke comparison is off the mark. While many here may not be fans, 46 is apaprently a marketing success (at least for now).

I know this is off topic, but did you mean to imply New Coke was a failure because of marketing.

To me New Coke tasted like watered down sweetened up Pepsi. In my opinion it flopped because it was exactly what Coke drinkers (like me) didn't want.

I prefer to think that Maker's Mark and/or MM46 has had "successful marketing", which is significantly different than being a "marketing success".

I know this is off topic, but did you mean to imply New Coke was a failure because of marketing.

To me New Coke tasted like watered down sweetened up Pepsi. In my opinion it flopped because it was exactly what Coke drinkers (like me) didn't want.

Gosh no... New Coke was a marketing disaster on every level. Not the least of which was introducing a product that was worse than its predecessor.

What I was trying to say is that Makers 46 will be / is a marketing success. A brand extention that is different from the original and is backed by enough marketing muscle to generate net new sales for Beam.

I prefer to think that Maker's Mark and/or MM46 has had "successful marketing", which is significantly different than being a "marketing success".

I get (and agree with) the distinction you're making. To me (a market of one) it is neither. But for Beam, I suspect it will be both.

Regardless of marketing, it's new/different, and it's decent. That's what people wanted. Maybe it's not what some people had hoped for, but it's a step in the right direction. Besides, like others have said, there's a possibility that it may lead to something better yet. We can only hope and keep our fingers crossed. It will be interesting to see what, if anything happens with the combination of a new master distiller (?) and COO. Joe

I like 46 and willing to pay few more $$ to drink it.

Careful what you say around here ... you may not be considered "one of our types".

Another difference between MM46/New Coke....

Makers Mark was not discontinued and replaced by 46 pissing off the devotees of the original. So it would be more like when Coke introduced Cherry Coke, an extension of the brand which may well experience the same rise and fall in popularity as Cherry Coke, only time will tell. I fully expect to purchase a bottle when I get home just to see for myself.

I don't know, I don't love it, but I like it. I like having it in my house so as to give people an idea of how it changed from the regular MM (although I do not keep any MM in the house--I guess that'd be helpful in making the distinction).

But I like the heavy cinnamon thing it has. Someone said atomic fireball and that seems about right.

I'm not sure I'll buy another bottle. For the $34 I paid I could buy ETL or a handle of Weller SR or any number of other things I like (or I can try something I've never tried).

But I appreciate that they tried something new, and it's interesting.

I was disappointed when I first brought it home and opened it. All I remember getting was a hot cinnamon finish. There wasn't anything subtle about it, and it wasn't really enjoyable. But I let it sit for about 5 or 6 weeks to allow the bourbon and my perspective some room to breathe. When I came back for another pour, it approached my taste buds with a much softer and sweeter expression. The cinnamon was obviously still there, but it didn't mask all the other flavors like it did before, and a lot of that makers sweetness started showing up in a really nice way. I find myself enjoying it now. I don't know how soon I will go back for another bottle at $34, but I'm currently glad I have one open.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.