Maker's Mark 46

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Joe brought over a bottle of this last night and I have to say I AM impressed. Good for Maker's Mark and thank you for this one.

I must say that I am impressed as well. Is this something we can expect to be around a while, or is this a limited run?

I must say that I am impressed as well. Is this something we can expect to be around a while, or is this a limited run?

Not a limited edition. If successful, it will have a permanent place on the shelves.

I called my brother in law today to alert him to the store where I got my bottle of MM 46. He is a big Makers Mark fan and immediately went and got a bottle. Tonight he calls me to tell me that his bottle was in the trunk of the car for several hours in the heat and the cork seal popped. Luckily the bottle was in the upright position and no whiskey was lost but it didn't take much to crack the wax seal. Synthetic cork must build pressure quickly!

Thomas

Well, picked one up today for $33 something before tax at the ABC store.

Definitely has a MM signature, but the wood on the frontside is different for sure. A more mature taste vis-a-vis regular MM. Not sure if the value is there when compared to Old Fitz BIB, but it is a better expression than standard MM for sure. And, I'm a Wax Top type of guy.:cool:

I called my brother in law today to alert him to the store where I got my bottle of MM 46. He is a big Makers Mark fan and immediately went and got a bottle. Tonight he calls me to tell me that his bottle was in the trunk of the car for several hours in the heat and the cork seal popped. Luckily the bottle was in the upright position and no whiskey was lost but it didn't take much to crack the wax seal. Synthetic cork must build pressure quickly!

Thomas

Yeah, the "cork" is a welcome change. They definitely got the packaging right on this one.

Except a screw cap wouldn't have come open in the trunk.

I try not to leave my bottles in the car for extended periods of time in the summer :grin:

Seriously, it does add a little charisma with the cork and the thick glass bottom. Not unlike the 1792 decanter.

On a second visit to the Maker's 46 i like it up to the finish. To me the finish leaves a slightly acrid burnt taste that I find unpleasant. I would still take it neat before standard MM, though.

Thomas

Interesting. makes me wonder how this stuff will survive in places like AZ as a dusty bottle...? :D

Nevermind. We're talking about maker's mark. Who has ever found a dusty bottle of the stuff that didn't come from Germany or Japan? :rolleyes:

The Bourbon Review magazine has an excellent article about Maker's 46 in the Summer 2010 issue.

Bill Samuels Jr had a vision and should be given a lot of credit for what I think could inspire other bourbon producers.

And credit also has to be given to Maker's Mark Master Distiller Kevin Smith and Independent Stave Co President Brad Boswell for engineering the specifics that Samuels laid out.

I was thoroughly impressed upon learning of both Smith and Boswell's background and exerience.

Is it just me, but an early characteristic of the initial nosing reminds me of something from Stitzel-Weller.

I haven't seen this stuff hit Maryland or Delaware shelves yet, but I see it has in Virginia. I just so happen to be driving from the Eastern Shore of Maryland, through Virginia, to the Outer Banks today. Any tips on where I might find some along the way? I'm hoping it's widely available in the ABC stores....

Montgomery County is supposed to have it Real Soon. I spoke to one of their stores and it's in their system for $28 - they're expecting it anytime now.

I really want to sit down for a night and just really go at the 46 to try and get a more solid handle on it. My first impression was makers, with an extra layer on it. The wood does taste "tacked on" to me, but I enjoyed it. I think it really adds something to the bourbon, but it does taste a hair different the wood in other bourbons. My first impression was pretty good though... I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did. It's different, in a good way. I'm not going to buy 100000 bottles, but it's worth getting at least a bottle to give a go

The nose is like carmel and and that hard red stuff covering candy apples, but somewhat light.

The taste is in-n-out with wood and carmel, but somewhat light.

The finish is dry-ish but if you wait awhile you will be satisfied, but again somewhat light.

I picked up my bottle on Friday. Tasted it Friday night and Saturday with a few fellow bourbon-drinking friends. Oscar pretty much said what I was going to say, only better. :)

My very first sip, I noticed a bit of dryness, similar to the dryness in the special oak finish Woodford, but only the merest hint. It definitely has the caramel nose of a wheated bourbon, and it seems to me to have a great deal of "presence".

I was, and am, extremely impressed. Although at $35 in Chicago it's not necessarily an everyday pour, I think it's a fine bourbon for those special occasions when you need a something with a little more "oomph", but not in an overpowering way.

One thing I did notice, though: the label says "Kentucky Bourbon Whisky", not "Kentucky STRAIGHT Bourbon Whisky". Was that an error, or is some regulation keeping them from labeling it as "straight"?

Since it is re-barreled it cannot be called KSBW.

IIRC, the official TTB product designation is what is on the label.

We were talking about that on Friday night, I think it's because the barrel is popped and oak is added to finish it off they drop the straight.

Edit: Didn't see the thread carried over a page and the above was already said. Opps!

Use of the modifier "straight" is optional and I don't see anything in the rules that would preclude the 46 label from saying "straight." There's certainly no rule that says it can't be called straight if it's rebarreled.

They just wanted to keep it from being too wordy. They probably said "what words does our consumer care about when making this purchase." They had to identify the finish so they cut back on other words such as "straight" and, for that matter, "Mark."

Remember, 99% of what Maker's cares about is the current Maker's Mark consumer. They're not doing this to attract new consumers, they're doing this to give current Maker's Mark consumers something else to drink. If they step a few of them up, so Maker's 46 becomes their preferred pour, all the better.

So they had to say "barrel finished with oak staves" (or some other formulation the TTB would accept). They had to say "whiskey." "Bourbon" is good to say, "Kentucky" is good too. Can we live without "straight"? Sure, why not?

Is anyone afraid it's not at least two years old?

It's the difference between marketing a brand and selling a commodity. The Maker's drinker doesn't need all that stuff, they just know Maker's Mark is the best stuff on earth. (Sorry, Snapple.)

The wording on the bottle is the "fanciful name", just like the beam "Bourbon with xxxxxx" product from Beam.

My question is this: since the dump and refill introduces used cooperage in the mix, it is the equivalent of the wine finished bottlings on the market. Do the wine finished Woodford and BT products use the KSBW designation?

The wording on the bottle is the "fanciful name", just like the beam "Bourbon with xxxxxx" product from Beam.

My question is this: since the dump and refill introduces used cooperage in the mix, it is the equivalent of the wine finished bottlings on the market. Do the wine finished Woodford and BT products use the KSBW designation?

It's not a "fanciful name," it's a descriptive phrase describing how the product has been altered from the standard of the type. "Kentucky whiskey" is a fanciful name since it adds a modifier to whiskey that does not actually describe a listed type, but is also not required. The "Bourbon with xxxx" language is required.

But otherwise, yes and yes. (See attached.)

post-5-1448981678213_thumb.jpg

Excellent. Thanks, Chuck. Posting from my phone has its limitations, image searches are one of them.

Posting from my phone has its limitations, image searches are one of them.

What?!? Beelzebub's electronics has limitations?!?!?:skep:

Thomas

On the bottles I bought, I noticed that the wax seal on the front of the bottle was still a bit soft and sticky. It also seemed that the bottle opened a bit easier than other wax sealed ones I've opened in the past. The wax didn't crack or fall apart and fly all over the place. It peeled back nice and easy. I wonder what with MM being in a rush to get MM 46 on the shelf, maybe the wax on the bottles didn't have as much time to harden. Regardless, I like the product inside. :yum: Joe

Like the way Four Roses Single Barrel doesn't say "Bottled in Bond". It qualifies (as would any 100 proof single barrel); they'd just need to add the DSP to the label.

They just wanted to keep it from being too wordy. They probably said "what words does our consumer care about when making this purchase." They had to identify the finish so they cut back on other words such as "straight" and, for that matter, "Mark."

On the bottles I bought, I noticed that the wax seal on the front of the bottle was still a bit soft and sticky. It also seemed that the bottle opened a bit easier than other wax sealed ones I've opened in the past. The wax didn't crack or fall apart and fly all over the place. It peeled back nice and easy. I wonder what with MM being in a rush to get MM 46 on the shelf, maybe the wax on the bottles didn't have as much time to harden. Regardless, I like the product inside. :yum: Joe

I also noticed the seal was sticky and also has a discoloration. Sort of a slightly singed look. (I do not think an homage to the charred wood though.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.