Maker's Mark 46

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tried some tonight. IMO it's better, much better than regular MM. Now if they would only bring back the old gold capsule 101.

Joe :usflag:

Well not yet (and I doubt someone will). I have been watching at least a half dozen bottles on E-bay with this price profile and all have ended without a bid being placed. The one bottle which has been posted with a starting price below retail (if i recall $0.99) is currently at $41.00, plus shipping, with less than one day left. I do not expect it to go for much more, if any more, than that.

There are always a few carpetbaggers who try to grab a quick buck from the uninformed out there. Shame on them.

Update: The bottle sold for $47.00 plus shipping.

I'm not a big MM or Knob creek drinker (Only when there is no other alternative bourbon).

Just had first pour and was impressed – Flavor was similar to like a Lot “B” that I had from 2008, though 46 is much sharper tasting / less refined .

Anyone else taste the Lot “B”?’

The other thing it tastes like is a more pleasant version of the Woodford reserve seasoned oak.

If enjoy bourbons that taste like red hots cinnamon and caramel I would recommend it.

It is $31.99 - $34.99 in the Appleton WI areaa. I think $30 is a good value. Much higher, and I'll stick with the Lot B.

This has finally hit California. Hi Times has it for $31.99 and BevMo sells it for $37.99.

I will be buying a bottle this evening.

$33.00 in Maryland. It was a nice fruity flavor, but regular Maker's is more to my liking.

Supposedly hitting the Lafayette, Indiana market next week. I spoke to four Lafayette liquor stores this week. Two had no clue what I was talking about, one knew of the event but didn't know the timing, and the fourth said he was getting all of three cases next week. They owe me a phone call upon its arrival.

I got a bottle of this on Wednesday in Omaha NE tried it that night. I thought it was great.

I got a bottle of this on Wednesday in Omaha NE tried it that night. I thought it was great.

You know how Ardbeg has made its name by amping up the peat? Maker's is doing the same thing with wood. What's next? I'll keeping my fingers crossed for Mongolian Oak.

I don't want to sound negative or even approach being dismissive.

I like the way it looks, and I enjoy the nose. I am still working on the taste.

I'll keeping my fingers crossed for Mongolian Oak.

$33.00 in Maryland. It was a nice fruity flavor, but regular Maker's is more to my liking.

I at first really liked the drinkability factor, but soon after wondered where the flavor was. It seems a little light to me.

If I'm looking for something drinkable, I'm going for something like VOBBIB. It's less than 1/4 the cost of MM46.

I picked up a bottle a couple weeks ago, but haven't opened it yet. Too many other open bottles right now, but soon.

I sampled some at WhiskyFest in Chicago back in April. Actually, I got it from Kevin Smith himself. Upon request, they were pouring samples of 46 throughout the night but I didn't get to the Maker's Mark table until after "last call". Kevin walked up while my friend and I were trying to convince a couple of the Maker's Mark reps to let us try some. The reps said they weren't suppose to pour anything after last call, and in any case were all out of the 46. Kevin pulled a flask of 46 from his coat and filled our glasses. We chatted with him while enjoying the bourbon. Nice guy, and understandably very proud of the Maker's 46.

MM 46 finally made it to Western NY - $34.99. One of the employees

at my local retailer said he "really enjoyed it" and that was good enough

for me.

I bought a bottle along with a standard MM to compare.

I found the wax seal to be a bit soft as others have mentioned -

I could press with a fingernail and smooth the ridges out. Makes

it seem "hot of the press!" The 46 is quite tasty and I'll probably

pick up another couple bottles. MM isn't one of my regular pours

(no reason - I just usually grab something else) but this is a bit

different and rather enjoyable. Even my wife, (who tries every

bourbon I get in hopes of finding one she'll like) seemed to find it

palatable, noting that she didn't make her "whiskey-face" after

drinking it. She picked up hints of vanilla ("like vanilla extract!")

and caramel and thought there was something else (butterscotch?)

but she couldn't place it.

Add me to the (growing) list of 46 fans!

I'm a fan -- tasting notes [thread=14338]here[/thread].

Agreed. I did find that I like it more out of a Riedel than a glass Glencairn, though.

I've tried it several times now and here are my impressions.

I get the oft mentioned caramel on the nose. In the mouth I detect a mintiness missing from regular MM. Wood flavors (some vanilla and spice) are present too as would be expected with the barrel insert. The finish is the biggest disappointment as I find it short and slightly tannic. I prefer it to regular MM even at the $8 premium it commands here at $31.47. I will drink this in a bar if I see it but probably won't crack the regular rotation here in my bunker.

BTW, it must be selling well here in Houston too. When I purchased it, the female sales clerk (with piercings everywhere) asked "Is this a special, annual release from MM?" I said "No, it's supposed to be a new line extension of MM and will be available year round." She responded "Well everyone is buying it like it's only on the shelf for a short time like Stagg."

Randy

I had some generously donated MM 46 last night.

The best thing I can say about it is "more for you guys"! I'm glad I got to try it again as I had some at the sampler.....after I had a pour of Bookers which wrecked my palette for the 46.

It does not have much of a finish which is huge for me in my tasting preferences. It hints at something good then it goes away quick. It's like a wispy promise of something better. Now if it was re barreled in a barrel made of the staves that were used for flavoring it would probably be a bit more interesting but I assume that would cost a fortune.

I got the call today, now available in Lafayette, Indiana for those who might find themselves in the area.

Bought a bottle today, and I have to say I LOVE this bourbon. I am a newbie, and I may not have the advanced palate of some of you. But I first sipped it straight, and found it smooth and drinkable. I poured it over ice and gave it a splash of water, and it now screams of vanilla. I do agree the finish is short.

Cant wait to get my hands on this Bottle.

Probably at KBF in September.

Koji

I'll probably be in Japan when you are in Kentucky -- otherwise I'd bring one for you!

Originally Posted by SBOmarc

Yeah, what he said. I get a bitter wood tannin taste on the top of my tongue that isn't very pleasant at all. I don't get the "spicy" that others note. I prefer the original red top.

Never been a Makers fan - not much there as near as I can discern, but I bought a bottle of this and like it a lot.

Craig

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.