Maker's Mark 46

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Like the way Four Roses Single Barrel doesn't say "Bottled in Bond". It qualifies (as would any 100 proof single barrel); they'd just need to add the DSP to the label.

Good example. Knob Creek is another one, according to Fred Noe. Old Forester Signature is not. It contains whiskey from different seasons.

201 (make that 202) posts about their new product among some of the most informed bourbon consumers on Earth...you just can't buy that kinda publicity...just what Fortune Brands wanted.

Hey I found a great deal on the NEW Maker's 46.

Bottle price $85.00 plus $15.00 for shipping. So for a single C note you too can have this fine libation. WHAT are you kidding me this is flat out robbery.

It is good at $40 but $100 what a crook. You know what site this is on. I wondered how long it would take.

Hey I found a great deal on the NEW Maker's 46.

Bottle price $85.00 plus $15.00 for shipping. So for a single C note you too can have this fine libation. WHAT are you kidding me this is flat out robbery.

It is good at $40 but $100 what a crook. You know what site this is on. I wondered how long it would take.

ridiculous. no doubt, someone will buy it.

I bought some in Rising Sun MD on Tuesday.

I haven't seen this stuff hit Maryland or Delaware shelves yet, but I see it has in Virginia.

Maker's 46 does not show in the distributor system yet so still at least 3 weeks away. You never know it could show up tomorrow.

I will post something as soon as I see it in our NEW products file.

I sampled this again with Joshua, thanks JOE for the bottle(!!!), tonight after hunting and I have to say I like it. I'm going to spend some time with it and a good book one of these evenings and try to do some real tasting notes - which seems so rare around here lately - to see what I can come up with because there are some things about it that surprise and impress me.

it's a little light on flavor, easy to drink much of...

It drinks well, has much more to it than the normal Makers I believe... but I'm not comfortable with it enough to post many notes. The first taste was an extra layer of wood on top of Makers... the second day with it had more of a uniform flavor, and tonight it had qualities (just a hint) of bourbons from another distillery. I mean trace amount of similarity, not sure if it's my palate or what so don't get too excited.

This really is a bottle folks should at least try. It's not going to blow your socks off, but it's a good addition to the lineup of wheaters out there. Easy like Weller SR, but pretty different notes. It's one of those bourbons you can drink at a bar and still have something enjoyable, but nothing to scare your friends and family off.

MM 46 landed in the knoxville TN market this week and is on the shelf around $30. I have a few bottles on hold but have not been able to pick them up and sample. tim

I stopped in Maryville MO Hy Vee yesterday in hopes of picking up a bottle not only did they not have it, they never heard of it. I got a bottle of Blanton's instead.

Hidden
Maker's 46 does not show in the distributor system yet so still at least 3 weeks away. You never know it could show up tomorrow...

Distributor reps have been promoting it in California and sampling it with their accounts. I'm told it's about 3 weeks away. We may have an advance sample of it at bourbon night this Saturday.

Roger

Maker's 46 does not show in the distributor system yet so still at least 3 weeks away. You never know it could show up tomorrow...

Distributor reps have been promoting it in California and sampling it with their accounts. I'm told it's about 3 weeks away.

Roger

A local liquor store has just let me know end of next week. That keeps me from driving the roads to Costa Mesa, and that's okay with me. I will let you know if and when that happens.

Many of the stores in the Raleigh area have already sold out of their initial allocation. Luckily I picked up a few more bottles shortly after sampling the first one that I purchased.

I just picked up two at the State Store. It is on the shelves in PA. for 34.99

Joe :usflag:

It's started to appear in some of the local bars. When I ordered a pour the other night I was told I was the first to ask for it. Bartender told me it was "a new kind of Crown".

It's started to appear in some of the local bars. When I ordered a pour the other night I was told I was the first to ask for it. Bartender told me it was "a new kind of Crown".

:slappin:

I'm still astounded that it arrived in Oregon sooner than Califormia. :bigeyes:

Many of the stores in the Raleigh area have already sold out of their initial allocation. Luckily I picked up a few more bottles shortly after sampling the first one that I purchased.

I've found the same thing at a few of the stores I've stop by in Northern Virginia. I found out that the one I frequent (which I was told is one of the higher volume ones in the area) only received an initial allotment of 6 bottles.

Good thing I had them fish a bottle out of the back for me before it was even on the selves. :grin:

One nice thing about this for Maker's is that they can make more 46 like turning on a spigot. Not exactly, but finishing takes weeks, not years, and although regular Maker's is on allocation too, I'm sure they won't hesitate to rob Peter to pay Paul, since "Paul" is more profitable.

I also suspect that cannibalization is a real possibility. Cannibalization occurs when a new product gets too much of its sales from current customers. Normally cannibalization is considered a bad thing (you can kind of tell from the name) but for Maker's it's a good thing, since one of their objectives is to give Maker's drinkers who want more variety in their drink choices another choice from within the Maker's family.

If cannibalization occurs, that will take some supply pressure off regular Maker's, allowing them to pump out more 46.

So don't fret if you haven't been able to get any yet.

You will.

I got to taste this yesterday from a pre-sample provided by a Middle Tennessee distributor, which got all of 180 bottles (30 cases) to parcel out.

I agree with Chuck -- this is maybe the best 'common' (as in, meant to be regularly available) new offering we've seen for some time.

I've always been critical of Maker's Mark's 'finish', which has been non-existent while the rest of the experience in chiefly positive in their (only other) standard bottling. Well, this one adds some oaky prickliness on the back side that makes it a more complete and complex drink that keeps you interested until the next sip. At $34.99 retail, in our market, I'd say it's on the upper limit of 'reasonable', but I'll buy it once in a while.

Today I received email from BevMo announcing arrival of this bottling, to be priced at $35.99. I was doubly puzzled.

How did I get on their mailing list?

Isn't MM the outfit that's always been dedicated to doing one thing and doing it well?

Notwithstanding I clicked the "Buy Now" button, knowing full well that shipping to AZ isn't going to happen. Here's what popped up.

I wondered whether the SB.com folks were on to this new bottling. Silly me. Even sillier not to expect the thread to turn into an argument regarding a distantly related issue. But never mind that.

I finally remembered that I had signed up for a BevMo card during a recent trip to SoCal, during which I was dispatched to pick up MoBev for my son. Now I'm wondering whether the "10 available" (see above link) refers to that store (Torrance, CA) or one closer to the Zip Code I probably entered on my enrollment form.

Even though I'm still on my one-drink-a-month regimen, I'll give Sportsman's a call before the next time I make a trip to Phoenix.

I always thought MM's flavor was OK, just not enough of it. Maybe this bottling will hit the sweet spot.

Has the name already been discussed in a different thread? The number 46 doesn't convey anything to me.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave yes the 46 has been discussed.

Kevin Smith and Brad Boswell of Independant Stave picked this profile.

The staves were seared just enough so that caramel and vanilla flavors were released, while only a small amount of tannin (which adds bitterness) came out of the wood. The Maker’s 46 name comes from the profile number Boswell assigned to the special seared staves.

Well, hi Dave. How ya been?

I wondered whether the SB.com folks were on to this new bottling. Silly me. Even sillier not to expect the thread to turn into an argument regarding a distantly related issue. But never mind that.

The stuff itself wasn't available yet. What else was there to talk about?

Even though I'm still on my one-drink-a-month regimen

:bigeyes:

Has the name already been discussed in a different thread? The number 46 doesn't convey anything to me.

It was something like the 46th version they tried.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.