Maker's Mark 46

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Purchased today for about $35 for 750 ml. T minus three hours until initial sampling.

OK, I've just had an ounce of 46 against an ounce of the regular MM. I put them in identical snifters, and sipped each (neat) back and forth using some pretzels as a palate cleanser (I was eating pretzels before I started.). For some background, I'm not a big MM fan to start. I find it very drinkable, but a little dull.

Visually, I didn't notice much of a difference between the two. I expected to find the 46 darker.

Nosing each of them, the 46 was more powerful. To me, it smelled more like a WT product that a wheater.

On an initial taste, the MM is exactly what I remember MM to be: smooth, hints of vanilla and caramel, no burn whatsoever, and very little finish. The 46 didn't show me any new flavors, but undoubtedly provided more of them and held them longer. However, neither overly impressed me.

Then, I added 8 drops of filtered water to each.

I noticed no change to the MM, but the 46 opened up and seemed to become a new drink. I detected cinnamon, which I did not before, and the taste hung around like a good bourbon should (IMO). At this point, I would consider the MM46 a good value at $35, and might be a good one to have around.

Perhaps it is my inexperience in tasting, but I was shocked that adding a few drops of water changed one product so much more than the other. I think next week I'm going to have my wife give me each of this blind to see if my pre-concieved opinions affected my results.

Well, I just had my first good snort of it. It is good. Way better than standard makers. I found it to be very dry. My thought was, it tasted like good bourbon that someone had put a little cocoa powder powder into it.

OK, I've just had an ounce of 46 against an ounce of the regular MM. I put them in identical snifters, and sipped each (neat) back and forth using some pretzels as a palate cleanser (I was eating pretzels before I started.). For some background, I'm not a big MM fan to start. I find it very drinkable, but a little dull.

Visually, I didn't notice much of a difference between the two. I expected to find the 46 darker.

Nosing each of them, the 46 was more powerful. To me, it smelled more like a WT product that a wheater.

On an initial taste, the MM is exactly what I remember MM to be: smooth, hints of vanilla and caramel, no burn whatsoever, and very little finish. The 46 didn't show me any new flavors, but undoubtedly provided more of them and held them longer. However, neither overly impressed me.

Then, I added 8 drops of filtered water to each.

I noticed no change to the MM, but the 46 opened up and seemed to become a new drink. I detected cinnamon, which I did not before, and the taste hung around like a good bourbon should (IMO). At this point, I would consider the MM46 a good value at $35, and might be a good one to have around.

Perhaps it is my inexperience in tasting, but I was shocked that adding a few drops of water changed one product so much more than the other. I think next week I'm going to have my wife give me each of this blind to see if my pre-concieved opinions affected my results.

Great write up...you articulated a lot of my thoughts on this pour...the only difference is that I don't see myself bunkering this stuff at $35 a bottle...at $25-$28 I can see it...but once you step into that price point you have to compete with the likes of ORVW 10/107 and WTRB. ;)

...the 46 opened up and seemed to become a new drink. I detected cinnamon, which I did not before, and the taste hung around like a good bourbon should (IMO).

Great write up...you articulated a lot of my thoughts on this pour...the only difference is that I don't see myself bunkering this stuff at $35 a bottle...at $25-$28 I can see it...but once you step into that price point you have to compete with the likes of ORVW 10/107 and WTRB. ;)

We were in Bowling Green KY last weekend for softball nationals. Makers 46 is $35 everywhere but Chucks.....and their cost is 49.99! Actually Chucks was higher priced than any other liquor store in town on just about everything....and trust me, there was a liquor store on just about every block!

Finally got a bottle of this, and I'm looking forward to trying it. I paid $39 here in CT, which seemed a bit high, but I didn't feel like shopping around today. The guy at the store told me it's very popular and selling extremely well.

Stopped in to Everett's in S. Beloit, IL and they're already running a sale on 46 - $26.97. Not selling well?

Stopped in to Everett's in S. Beloit, IL and they're already running a sale on 46 - $26.97. Not selling well?

How long has it been in your area?

Everett's is probably just using it as a loss leader. It's too early for them to be blowing it out because they've been disappointed with its sales. Plus everything I'm hearing from everywhere else is that it's selling very well.

The more I try this the even less enamored I am.

The finish is definitely lacking. Better than regular MM, but not worth the big bump in price.

I have to agree. I admire the effort and the imagination, but when this bottle is finished it will not be replaced.

I ordered six bottles of Weller 12, and six bottles of MM46 ended up being delivered. I considered keeping them, but after taking a few more sips from the open bottle I have, I sent them back. I'd much rather have six bottles of Weller 12.

I liked my bottle of M46, it was "fun" and interesting but I don't miss it.

I did get a 200ml of MM to compare it to and yes M46 is a lot better than the MM.

But I'm not getting another M46 and now I don't know what to do with the remaining 160ml of MM.

Just had my first dram.

Interesting.

They managed to up the caramel and vanilla without adding too much structure/complexity of wood. It does pony up a notch on the tannin.

My rating

Not too shabby. Maintains the soft wheated character with a little boost.

FYI, I bullied Everett into lowering the price.

That wasn't you. It was Liz. "Listen up, Ev....I'm PREGNANT, it's HOT, and I ain't feelin' like PAYIN' YOUR PRICE!!!! $27, or I'm havin' this little Pappy RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!!!!" :)

She of course hasn't let a drop of alcohol touch her lips since she found out she was with child, but she does really like the MM 46:lol:

Second Dram.

Cinammon Red Hots mid palate. How did I miss this the first time around?

Little more interesting

Now, I'm not digging the tannin. I liked it the first pass. Drying this time. Not puckering, but tongue smacking.

I'll be trying it as a tasting comparison for my blog. It seems to retail about $39.99 in DC, I think if I found it in MD nearby counties it would be cheaper and I'd only have to pay 6% sales tax instead of 9%.

Looking forward to it! Some dig it, other don't it seems.

Saw it for the first time on a bar just last night. I asked for it neat and after the ususal explanation of what that is...received a very nice pour in a short snifter.I am already on record as not being a big fan. I still like the color and the stuff smells great.

I just wish it tasted better.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.